“U Asked - Favorite Place to Eat”

Mitchell's Fish Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Mitchell's Fish Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 478 Restaurants in Lansing
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I love to go and sit at the bar get some appetizers and have some drinks .. it's a great night out for us. Favorites are Voodo Shrimp and Asian Spicy shrimp both come with that wonderful rice .. I like the Grape Smash drink and the Pine Fin Martini .. my husband goes for the Stella ..

Reviewed December 3, 2012

In the past two weeks, I have been fortunate enough to eat here courtesy of networking lunches (as in I didn't have to pay the tab!) three different times. Two of the three times the food was very good.

Once I ordered the Lobster Roll BLT off the lunch menu, which came with Old Bay seasoned fries and cole slaw. Everything was great. As my husband said, "I can't imagine a lobster roll and a BLT combined!" Well I could, and it was delicious. Picture a big piece of grilled Texas toast stuffed with lobster salad--no onions thankfully--and then adding thick strips of bacon, lettuce and tomato. It was so good; so much so I encouraged my manager to order it at the next visit, and he did, and enjoyed it immensely as well. I also enjoyed the Ahi tuna app and they finally figured out you have to have the same number of crackers as slices of tuna! Finally! I had iced tea, and I never went thirsty.

My second visit I went back to my usual, which is the Shanghai Sampler. This is sticky rice, topped with a piece of salmon (about 4oz I would guess), two shrimp and two scallops. All were excellent. I also ordered a cup of lobster bisque, and it was very good. I again had the iced tea, and drank quite a bit, but my server never acted annoyed at my plentiful refills.

The third visit was the bust. My manager again went with the Lobster Roll BLT (I should have gotten it too!) but I went with the Shanghai Sampler again. It was Shang-LOW this time. The scallops were the size of a quarter and rubbery. The salmon had a thick gray fatty layer that took me awhile to remove with my fork. The lobster bisque and the iced teas were the only saving grace for my lunch. Being with my manager and another business associate, I didn't feel like I could complain. But I was disappointed with how much this lunch cost my associate and how little I enjoyed the food that is otherwise very good.

The service is always top notch though--the staff clearly enjoy their jobs. They serve Pepsi products, so if you're a Coke person like me, go with the iced tea because it's really good, and there are plenty of sweeteners to choose from.

My only other complaint is that the fresh loaf of sourdough bread used to be standard as soon as you sat down. I found out you now have to ask for it at lunch time. I'm glad I know!! We requested it at all three lunches.

Also, they took the Chocolate Java Lava cake off the dessert menu, which is a travesty. It is in my top three desserts of all time, and I am a dessert junkie by trade. The carrot cake is amazing (a slice is huge and enough for about 6 people to share) but I miss the Chocolate Java Lava cake.

I have about 10 options of nice lunch places by my house--and when I am told to pick (which is about twice a week), I am not sure I will keep picking Mitchell's. I am sure it was a fluke, but for the cost, it was an expensive fluke!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our favorite place for seafood ion the Lansing area. You really can't go wrong with any of the fish dishes.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

On business

Charbroiled oysters
Lobster bisque
Cajun shrimp pasta

All around excellent food and service

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Not a huge menu but a very nice selection of entrees. The food - pecan crusted whitefish - was excellent. Our server was so friendly and attentive. On the way out after dinner, we were thanked for coming by not less than three other servers. We can highly recommend this fine restaurant.