“Great Place”

Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Always great food, especially the soups... it is hard to choose, so ordering the soup flight is fun. I don't think it's on the menu, but the wait staff will allow you to order half a sandwich with soup. There are always plenty of vegetarian options. Great coffee, too, from a local roaster (I've forgotten the name, but it is excellent). Cozy and cute for lunch but needs some work on decor -- it's a little country-ish and doesn't stand out from anything else in Lansing as far as looks go. Still, you don't go for the ambiance! Soup Spoon is a definite standout in a restaurant-barren town. That's why it's often very busy, but worth the wait... spend your dollars on high quality, locally made food and stay out of the places that serve right off a corporate truck! Thank you Soup Spoon for doing great work!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of going out with a great group of people for dinner while visiting Lansing for business. The manager was very kind and accommodating because we had a larger than average group.
I ordered the Cubano and it was delicious, savory, and filling. Because I'm on a strict budget, I was able to fill up with less than $10 which is my typical goal.
Our waitress was just okay. We would ask her for silverware or glasses of water that people didn't have and she would go to the kitchen and come back empty handed. She forgot a lot of stuff but was kind so I felt bad for her.
Overall it was a good experience with excellent food so I would recommend it.

1  Thank Angie P
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great food! Sandwhiches, soups, salads, dinners, I have had a little of everything. One time my breakfast wasn't quite right and they fixed it for me really fast and it was perfect.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The soups and sandwiches here are exceptionally good. This unpretentious little restaurant is very popular, so you might have to wait for a table at peak times.

My only complaint is that when you sit next to the "kitchen," the cooks/preparers are quite loud. Several times I was unpleasantly startled by the dropping of a huge pot on the floor. The service is great, food is great, but having shared dining and kitchen areas necessitates some consideration of the fact that the diners are there for socializing as well as eating, and want to hear each other.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a breath of fresh air in the rather bleak Lansing dining environment. Small and attractive with a diverse menu, casually upscale, friendly service, very good food (much of it sourced from Michigan), nice selection of beers on tap, lively happy hour crowd on some evenings, and a vibe reminiscent of the Portland, OR or Ann Arbor scene. Why there are not more places like this in the Lansing area (which boasts both MSU and the state capitol) I don't know. It is also one of the few restaurants in the area to offer good vegan and vegetarian items if that is your thing.

I have eaten here often and have not run into a bad choice yet. Not only is there an interesting array of items to choose from (from a wide range of well-conceived entrees to numerous sandwiches to always outstanding soups), but the quality of the food is generally excellent. One of my favorites is the Peacemaker - a spicy Vegan lentil loaf on grilled sourdough with avocado, tomato, and grilled veggies, and a sauce of some kind. However, I must say that the last two times I have ordered this have been disappointing. Once the sandwich was very dry and bland and once it was moist enough but strangely still quite bland. Also, one time I ordered (to go) an Indian-inspired stew served over mashed potatoes and while the stew itself was excellent, there were no mashed potatoes as promised. When I mentioned this to the server on my next visit, he was appropriately apologetic but offered no recompense at all, which I thought was a rather poor way to deal with a customer, particularly a regular. These last couple of sub-par experiences dampen my enthusiasm and lead me to question the attention to detail and level of consistency in this place (hence my rating of 4 stars versus what otherwise would have been 5 stars). I hope that this is an aberration, as otherwise I am very happy that this place is in Lansing and seemingly doing well.

4  Thank sparcouvol