“always excellent”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Buffet
Dining options: Buffet
Reviewed September 15, 2012

i've been a million times, and it always impresses; this place is always busy, no matter what time of day. i've even swung by late at night and found a room full of hungry people!

2  Thank kittytwist

Reviewed January 31, 2011

Empire Szechuan has a great Chinese buffet in downtown Lansing. I'm not sure about dinner time prices, but if you head there at lunch on a weekday they have a "lunchtime special" and the buffet is listed at $5.99, which comes out to just $6.35 after tax. I think it's a dollar or two more if you get a soft drink, but I always get water so that's the price I pay.

The selection isn't huge, but they have plenty that I like. There is just one main "cart" with the food, and then a secondary cart with some deserts. To be honest, none of the deserts look good - I tried one of the cookies a long time ago and it was terrible, so I've never tried anything else from that area since then. However, the actual Chinese food is great. I always get a few different types of chicken with some broccoli thrown in and top it off with white rice. Always great.

However, my girlfriend is a vegetarian - I brought her there once and she hated it. She didn't find anything that she liked, so she pretty much didn't eat anything and went across the street for Jimmy John's afterward. So I guess beware that the vast majority of their food is chicken or some type of meat. I love it though, I work downtown so I usually eat there 2-3 times a month.

I think you can also order take out, but I have no experience with that. When I go, I always eat inside.

1  Thank JoulesMSU
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Excellent food. Buffet is good, but ordering from menu is best. Restaurant is overall too quiet -- you can hear everything from every table. They need some music or something. Service is just o.k. -- with an Asian staff, it is somewhat hard to tell what they are saying, and they don't come around too much. Overall though, a place worth seeking out in the heart of downtown Lansing.

2  Thank larslentz
Reviewed December 10, 2009

This is my absolute favorite Chinese restaurant in Lansing. Very good quality food, reasonable prices, and prompt delivery. I have ordered delivery numerous times and only once had a problem with it. They promptly returned with the correct meal at no additional charge. Their pork dumplings and beef lo mein are some of the best I've ever had.

1  Thank LansingGirl
Reviewed October 10, 2008

Great, authentic Chinese food at a reasonable price. I ate there yesterday for the first time (went with a Chinese friend). The food was delicious, good variety on the buffet, and price was very reasonable. It was very busy at lunch time (a good sign in my estimation). There was a line at the door but it moved quickly. I highly recommend it.