“Reliably good, and delightfully different.”
Review of Clara's Lansing Station - CLOSED

Clara's Lansing Station
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Clara's has been a favorite of mine for over 10 years. Taking a group, a special friend, or family - it's always a nice place to go. Menu selections are varied and good; the salad bar is fresh and crisp, drinks are flavorful and enjoyable. this is a place to go.

1  Thank Realkayakjack

Reviewed January 7, 2013

with the menu being more of a food encyclopedia, this place has something for everyone to enjoy, as well as an atmosphere like no other. Eating in the attached dining car was a real treat for my little ones. One of, if not the ONLY place worth visiting while in the sleepy,
eternally boring Lame-sing.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

It seems as though the economy has hit Clara's pretty hard. As other reviewers noted, it is an unusual and interesting place to eat in Lansing. However, the food quality appears to have declined, as has the decor. The buffet - not cheap at $18/adult used to include prime rib. Now, they serve carved pork. The only fruit was one small container on the salad bar of two kinds of melon and purple grapes. Much of the meal seemed to come from cans and jars (canned corn on the buffet bar). They have a small salad bar that had fresh vegetables, but no fresh cooked vegetables. We sat out in the train, which the kids loved, but the canvas/plastic tablecloths were scratched and gouged.

And, unfortunately a pet peeve of mine is when I can overhear servers and other employees either discuss things I shouldn't be hearing. In this instance it was the manager (owner) berating an employee for one of the tables not being wiped appropriately.

Overall, I'm afraid it was below average all around - BUT it was clean and the decor IS interesting.

The next time we try and have a nice brunch we will go to Christie's on the other end of town. I am saddened that this restaurant is now off of our go-to list since it has been a Lansing icon for many years.

2  Thank Leah B
Reviewed January 1, 2013

You'll want to bring your camera, this is definitely not a generic looking restaurant, being set in an old train station. You can even eat in an actual train car if you want. I'm not a food connosieur, so my standards aren't high, and I'd put their food at acceptable, nothing to die for, but not horrible, either. We had some lasagna, chicken fajita quesadilla, and fish and chips. I'd probably skip the fish and chips next time, as there just didn't seem to be enough there to justify the $10 cost. Still, most items were moderately priced. They do have a kids menu if you're bringing kids. Service was alright, though it did take a bit to get our order placed, guess they were pretty busy. I wouldn't mind eating here again.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is fun, informal place for all ages to dine, toss back a drink or throw a party! The decor is a mix of historic and fun, a celebration of mid-western spunk and funk. The waitstaff are enthusiatic,the food fresh and the crafted beer very satisfying.