“Shame”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I were very excited to try this new upscale (a term I use loosely).The décor looks like someone watched to many DYI home decorating shows. The size of the restaurant is large and open and with a grey and silver color scene makes it feel cold and uncomfortable. I ordered the 6oz filet with zip sauce at $23.50, my entrée came with salad, mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetable. (which I was told would be pea pods) I ordered my steak medium rare, playing it safe as I prefer black and blue but for an untrained professional chef is very hard get. My salad came and if it was 3oz I would be surprised. When my steak came my plate was floating in a puddle of liquid potatoes (no pea pods) with a sprig of old broccoli in what I think they were calling the zip sauce. No zip in that sauce it was clearly a zonk. My steak came black and blue (funny) so undercooked from my order. I asked where the chef went to school and was told he didn’t he is self taught, and I’m sorry to say it shows. Very disappointing and to expensive for a cook prepared meal. I won’t be back.

6  Thank Holly C
There are newer reviews for Capital Prime Steak and Seafood

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Went for a special occasion with friends and family. The atmosphere was upscale for Lansing but still comfortable. It was too cold to sit around the outside fireplace but it was nice to look at the "roaring" fire. Our waitress made our experience-- as we like to banter and she kept up with us and added her own wit. My ribeye steak was cooked the way I asked. It was tender and the best I've had in a long time. My husband liked his short rib dinner, and the others enjoyed the salmon and chicken picate. We ordered appetizers. I liked the way the calamari was prepared but could have had a better 'dip'. The peppadew poppers had goat cheese not mentioned on the menu (not my favorite) but the others enjoyed. The evening spent here was one to remember. We will probably visit only for special occasions, but can't wait for the next one.

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Nice decor with fairly high noise level. Remembering that this is not Chicago will help. Relatively attentive service, but you will fill your own wine glass. Cuisine is not adventurous, but my meal was prepared as I asked and served in a timely manner. No real complaints other than a relatively short wine list. I will return.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

First time diners last night. Did not have reservation for 5:30 arrival. Offered choice of any available table by a most friendly and professional hostess. Chose a booth on the upper level for the view and the space. Loved the decor. Modern and a bit glitzy but not too much. All in excellent taste. Noise level was well controlled by choice of fabrics and the overall layout. Even as the restaurant filled up we enjoyed a very pleasant meal and quiet conversation.
Wine list was a bit unfamiliar but did not disappoint. Jennifer was a knowledgeable server and answered questions confidently while still offering samples. Nice touch. We devoured the calamari and the poppers. Both prepared to perfection. Chef has unique talent as nothing was even close to recipes from other local venues. The bread was warm and fresh baked. The spiced whipped butter was yummy.
I had the beef cacciatore soup which I savored slowly. Wonderful. My wife couldn't say enough about the salad's freshness and the choice of leaf and other ingredients.
We selected the lamb chops and the braised beef ribs. OMG. Just perfect in preparation and cooked as requested. Hot on the plate to the table...as expected. Potatoes were a nice mash with a flavorful seasoning blend. Green beans were perfect. A bit el Dante but could cut with a fork. Very nice. Jennifer was attentive but not overly so. We never waited for water refills or an invitation for wine or anything else we may have wanted. We felt no pressure to make selections and we're very comfortable with a long relaxing meal one course at a time.
We chose to share the chocolate cake roll with whipped cream and a strawberry drizzle. After my first bite I regretted the offer to share. It was a perfect finish to an exceptional meal. Coffee was delicious.
As we were leaving the General Manager Leonard Jump made it a point to introduce himself and thank us. We had our coats delivered from coast check (yes. They really do check coats at the table and are very timely retrieving them
I have to list this fine restaurant as one of the very best new restaurants to open in Lansing. It will certainly be worth your while to dine here and discover for yourself why this is a huge WIN for Eastwood and for the greater Lansing area.
Robert

1  Thank Bob M
Reviewed December 30, 2013

It's a long standing family tradition for us to have a nice dinner out before Christmas every year. It can be challenging to find somewhere that lets us get dressed up once a year, and have excellent food, but not have to leave Lansing. Capital Prime finally solved that problem for us. I cannot recommend this place highly enough, even though it's probably a budget buster for many. The restaurant was decorated beautifully for Christmas -- it was so pretty I wondered what the restaurant would even look like without it. Reservations are recommended by the restaurant, although we ate early enough that things were pretty slow until mid-meal. We were originally seated in a large booth, which I thought was big enough to accommodate our entire party. It wasn't the most conducive to conversation though, and they graciously and effortlessly moved us to a round table upon request. Service was friendly and efficient, never overbearing. I was just getting over a bad cold and very thirsty, she stayed ahead of my water glass at every turn. Of the appetizers, the calamari was a standout. It's so easy to get this dish wrong and wind up with a rubbery, greasy mess -- but Capital Prime's version was outstanding. Tender and delicate -- some of the best calamari I have had. Capital shrimp was crispy and not overbattered, in a zippy little remoulade -- more than enough to pass around the table. The only weak point was the blue crab and avocado timbale. It just wasn't a standout -- it was fine, I just thought the flavors were not well married. I don't know if it was under dressed or hadn't had time to rest and meld, or what. We tried perch and coconut shrimp, and I don't think I remember much feedback on that, honestly? I'm left with the impression they were just OK, but couldn't speak to why. I was much too in love with my ribeye and sauteed wild mushrooms to pay attention! Big, meaty mushrooms! Not a little puddle of chopped buttons, but a lovely selection of interesting mushrooms, perfectly sauteed. Our party also tried the filet with bleu cheese crust, and the porterhouse. They were all cooked perfectly, and absolutely delicious. The steaks got raves from everybody at the table. So did the boursin mashed potatoes and haricot verts. The house salad was delicious and perfectly dressed. We tried a selection of homemade desserts -- fantastic. I love to order carrot cake and then complain about how it's not as good as my recipe (I know, I know). Not this time, though -- theirs was substantial and delicious. It was a really great experience, from beginning to end. The only off notes were the items I mentioned above, and then also that we had asked about special or signature drinks and had a little trouble convincing our server (who was great in every other way) that we weren't asking about drink specials, a la happy hour discounts. It wasn't until we saw the dessert menu that included drink specialties that we had our answer. That was a shame, because I think most of us would have tried one before the meal.

2  Thank Liz J