Meat Southern BBQ & Carnivore Cuisine
Ranked #3 of 467 Restaurants in Lansing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This place was a lot better than I thought it would be. At first, I thought a southern BBQ joint in Lansing Michigan? No way. I've lived in the south so I know a thing or two about a good BBQ, and Meat had me surprised. It was much better than I expected.

Atmosphere was a little weird. A lot of heavy metal records and pictures on the wall. And family pictures which I found weird. Place is also very small on the inside.

But excellent food! As long as you are not a vegan!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

What's not to like about a restaurant named Meat? I am a Carolina girl at heart and know my barbecue, and while this place does not serve true Carolina barbecue, it is still very good. I like that they don't automatically sauce their meat; it gives you the opportunity to taste how well the meat is cooked and then add as much or as little sauce as you like.

I had the brisket sandwich and a side of potato salad. The potato salad was good but the brisket was excellent - flavorful and moist. There was a good selection of Michigan beers available and I had a Founder's All Day IPA, the perfect beverage for my meal.

The downside? It is small, the tables are close and it is loud. But our waitress was friendly and helpful, the food arrived promptly and we enjoyed our meals. I'd go back the next time I am in the area.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stopped in for lunch at 11:30. It got crowded quickly. Had the brisket sandwich and fries, with lemonade. It was awesome! Everyone enjoyed their meal. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Had heard good things about this place, so tried to place an order by phone to go. Out of ribs at 5 PM on a Saturday. In the middle of taking the order, server said, "We're closing now," and hung up. Went to King of the Grill instead.

3  Thank tibren
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Well, let me start by saying I am not exactly an enthusiastic meat eater, but if I were this is the place to be. I went with my wife and our son and his wife and 3 1/2 year old You don't have to worry about making sure the kid doesn't make a mess because they are so busy no one will notice. Not crazy about the ambiance but probably appropriate for a full-on BBQ joint.

This place is all about the food. We had pulled pork and brisket sandwiches and ribs. The sandwiches were large and the sides were perfect complements. One of the brisket sandwiches had quite a bit of fat in it. We ordered a plate of vinegar and salt french fries and they were tasty but not at all crispy. I thought the creamed corn was delicious but was almost too rich and creamy, if that makes sense. My wife and daughter-in-law had blue cheese potato salad and said it was terrific.

I think we will go back again now that we know what to expect. We will be a little more restrained in our ordering (too much food last time!) - I can say one thing, if you eat there often you won't be able to fit through the front door.