“Don't know how to run a restaurant”

Meat Southern BBQ & Carnivore Cuisine
Ranked #3 of 467 Restaurants in Lansing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Had heard good things about this place, so tried to place an order by phone to go. Out of ribs at 5 PM on a Saturday. In the middle of taking the order, server said, "We're closing now," and hung up. Went to King of the Grill instead.

3  Thank tibren

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Well, let me start by saying I am not exactly an enthusiastic meat eater, but if I were this is the place to be. I went with my wife and our son and his wife and 3 1/2 year old You don't have to worry about making sure the kid doesn't make a mess because they are so busy no one will notice. Not crazy about the ambiance but probably appropriate for a full-on BBQ joint.

This place is all about the food. We had pulled pork and brisket sandwiches and ribs. The sandwiches were large and the sides were perfect complements. One of the brisket sandwiches had quite a bit of fat in it. We ordered a plate of vinegar and salt french fries and they were tasty but not at all crispy. I thought the creamed corn was delicious but was almost too rich and creamy, if that makes sense. My wife and daughter-in-law had blue cheese potato salad and said it was terrific.

I think we will go back again now that we know what to expect. We will be a little more restrained in our ordering (too much food last time!) - I can say one thing, if you eat there often you won't be able to fit through the front door.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Terrible management...poor wait staff. Three months ago, went to dinner and they had NO ribs! Waitress said they only had them a few times a week??? Couldn't tell us when??? Food was okay...not special. Took three friends one Monday a few weeks ago...only to find a sign on the door that it was "Employment Appreciation Day"...and it was closed...screw the customers that showed up even it was their "regular hours." And then today at lunch because a member of our group of three insisted on trying it. AGAIN NO RIBS! Our waitress went to the back to check...oh they'd be ready in 15 minutes. ONE HOUR LATER...we rec'd our food. And oh yes, it was 12:01 noon...and they were OUT of potato salad and slaw. Who goes into a lunchtime with no products? You can't sell what you don't have. And our waitress never followed up with us...we had to chase her down everytime we wanted an update. Also the sauces aren't marked...waitress couldn't describe them very well either. WILL NEVER GO BACK. I suggest "Famous Dave's" in Holt, or "Smokey Bones" at Eastwood. (The food at Meat is also very overpriced.) Don't waste your time!

3  Thank Ronnie R
Reviewed July 14, 2013

So after hearing everyone in the greater Lansing area rave about Meat Southern BBQ & Carnivore Cuisine I broke down and finally went. The first thing that came to mind when I entered Meat was that it was packed...then again it can maybe serve 35 people at a time. It has no real waiting area except the wall by the kitchen, and we only had to wait about 10 minutes to get a table. During this time I looked around at the decor. It reminded me of what a college dorm room would look like in the 80s if it was bigger and served food. The only consent theme to the place was the old rock album covers and flags. I don't know how Iron Maidan and southern BBQ mix... must be what the owner likes the most. I thought the wooden picnic tables inside was a nice touch; however, that was the only thing that truly went with the food.

After our 10 minute wait we were shown our table and as we went to sit down the server asked if another person could join our table. It was a four person table and we only had two in our party. Not wanting to feel like a jerk I said I didn't mind. I have been to places where you mingle and ate dinner with people you didn't know and it is sometimes enjoyable to share stories while enjoying the meal. We were told that once another table opened up we could have that one. It turned out to be extremely awkward as they chose that moment to turn on the stereo rather loudly and the woman we were seated with just read her paper.

Once a table opened up they gave it to another group that just walked in off the street. Though about 5 minutes later another table cleared and I told the waitress we were moving tables. She just looked confused and totally forgot about us. I reminded her that she put us with a complete stranger and it was a little awkward. We just got a shrug and took the empty table.

We decided to split an order of nachos and a two meat platter. For the two meat platter we picked the beef brisket and the pulled pork. I had a Diet Mountain Dew while my wife went with water. Our drinks were promptly delivered and the food was not far behind it.

It was during the wait that I discovered that the Diet Mountain Dew mixutre was off and more like bland sugar carbonated water. I explained this to the waitress and she promptly changed my order to regular Mountain Dew. This was also off; however, I didn't want to complain about it so I mainly drank water for the rest of the meal.

The nachos were plentiful with the toppings piled on high. The avocado topping was surprising but tasted delicious. There was enough to just make that a meal split between two people. The only bad part of the nachoes were the chips themselves. They were kinda hard and seemed past their fresh date or under a heating lamp for too long.

The two meat platter was much better than the nahcos. The pulled pork was the clear winner on the platter as the brisket was just a touch too dry for my tastes. The homemade sauces complemented both meats well and they had flavors to satisfy any palate. The pulled pork was moist, tender, and melted in your mouth. One of the best pulled porks I have ever had. The sides were a mix. We ordered the homemade Mac N Cheese and the hand cut french fries. The fires were the right crispness and when mixed with the various sauces it was a taste explosion. The Mac N Cheese was a little on the bland side and was a touch gritty.

Overall, I would rate this total experience a 6.5 out of 10. The lack of ambiance and the setaing mixup took off the most points; however, the nacho chips were a big factor as well. Going forward if I start to crave southern BBQ in the greater Lansing area I will be sticking to my two meat platter and taking it to go. My final verdict: Hung Jury

2  Thank Brezze
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Thank goodness -- a great, relatively new place to eat in the area that isn't a chain. Plus Old Town is cool (but sorta small). Love their specials and sauces for the pulled pork plus the mac and cheese with Texas Link mixed in. Get here early because sometimes they will run out of some items. This is the place I sneak out to get lunch at after I "forget" to pack a lunch (hopefully my wife doesn't read this...)