“Saturday Night Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Lansing
Rockford, Michigan
“Saturday Night Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel was under construction, which I was notified of the week of our stay. I actually called to cancel our Friday night and that's when they told us. We did end up getting an email a day or two before our stay alerting us as well. While it is good that they told us, it would have been better to find out sooner in case we wanted to find a different place. But, despite the construction, we had a pleasant stay. It was a typical Spring Hill Suites, small pool, great breakfast. There was ample room for our family of 5 to be comfortable and not feel like we were on top of each other. The toilet paper roll in the bathroom was in a spot where our 6 year old couldn't reach, so that was odd. She either had to get off the toilet to get it or call for one of us. But, overall, good experience and would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Patrick B, Manager at SpringHill Suites Lansing, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hello Familytravels8799,

Thank you for your response and thank you for staying with us. I am so glad that you decided to stay with us even during our construction. We did our best to ensure that the construction did not disrupt our guests stay. I am sorry to hear that the bathroom placement did not make for a great situation for your daughter, with the holders located on the adjacent wall I can see how this would be a problem for our younger guests. Please come back and see us now that our construction is at a minimum. Our lobby is done and I think you will really like the change.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hale, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

It would have been nice to know the 3rd floor was under construction. The lack of carpeting made it extremely noisy. I would normally expect $$ off for this inconvenience but did not feel like waiting in line to discuss it with the management.
There was a boys basketball tournament in town, and the hotel was at or near capacity. The kitchen staff was not able to keep up with the mess being made at the breakfast buffet. Consequently, it got pretty nasty.
It is a stretch to call these suites. They are normal sized hotel rooms with a wall to split up the living areas.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Reggaewanderer
Hello Reggaewanderer,

Thank you for your response and thank you for staying with us. I do apologize about the lack of carpet on the third floor. It did make the hallways noisier than they normally are. Our renovation is almost entirely done and I do invite you to come back and check us out. If you are in the area again please contact me personally and I will ensure that you are satisfied.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Currently staying here and all I am hearing are constantly banging doors. The interior is being remodeled and Im not sure if the contractors are staying here right now, but its after 11 pm and the doors are banging away.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Patrick B, Manager at SpringHill Suites Lansing, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear j_j9607,

I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by our construction crew. This issue has been addressed and this will be discussed internally. If you wish please contact me personally at (517)627-0002 I would like to address these concerns with you.

Patrick Baum
Operations Manager
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here during MSU homecoming weekend after the Marriott lost our reservation. This is a cute place with nicely appointed (but somewhat small) guest rooms. There was still work being done on the exterior of the building and the workers didn't seem to have cleaned up very well around the outside. We had to push debris away from the side outside door to get it opened. The room was clean and daily housekeeping was excellent. The front desk informed us that they were in a pilot with a new breakfast concept. We were expecting something good but our experience was that the breakfast was not as good as we usually get at a Hampton Inn. Each day they served scrambled eggs that were totally disgusting. Other than some sausage one day, these eggs were the only protein available. When I complained at the desk, I was told that the eggs actually start out as real eggs (not powdered). They are scrambled and then frozen and then thawed each morning. UGG! I was also told that Hampton Inn is able to do a better breakfast because they have kitchens....The muffins, cereal, breads, etc. were the same each day and very average. No cinnamon buns. They only have "make your own" waffles on the weekend. I was told that the new concept included a variety of toppings (chocoloate chips I do not need for breakfast). I really just wanted some sort of quality protein and not a carb/fat fest. Luckily, Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel are just down the road. We will probably not choose a Springhill Suites again because the breakfast is important to us when we travel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeanne323
Patrick B, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Lansing, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we performed. Like you mentioned we are within the breakfast pilot program and any feedback is great. Springhill Suites as a brand wants to make sure our guests can enjoy and keep coming back. Along side the eggs and protein, we also provide a quiche and fresh fruit. I will take your valued input and make sure that I will pass it along to our Vice President when the pilot has concluded. It is still a work in progress to find that perfect blend.
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here the weekend of the first MSU game ....this was the only place we could find accomodations(and we were not there for the game). The staff was very friendly; the acccomodations were good; the room was a bit small for a suite but it was comfortable. We ate breakfast there one morning; I was not really impressed with the food but it was okay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Patrick B, Manager at SpringHill Suites Lansing, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for letting us know how we performed during your stay. The area sure does get busy during the football season and I am glad that you were able to stay with us in September. Unfortunately, it looks like you just missed our completely revamped breakfast. We know that our breakfast had become dull and we were chosen as one of the few Springhill Suites to do a test run of the new display. We have heard lots of great comments about everything. If you are back in the area in the future I invite you to stay with us again and let us know how the new breakfast program compares to before.
Carmel, IN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The staff were friendly, but the product was poor for a Marriott. I had a whirlpool suite that had little or no hot water, an old TV that only worked in black and white, and a blow dryer that caught on fire. Also, the complementary breakfast was below Marriott's standards.

I understand that they are going to remodel in December 2012. My advice is to stay somewhere else until then.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Patrick B, Manager at SpringHill Suites Lansing, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us and also the kind words about our staff. We truly strive to make sure every guest has a great experience here. Now to address your other concerns about the condition of the hotel and some of our amenities. I do apologize about the hote water issue, it is something that is an ongoing battle and on busy nights it certainly can affect the water temperature. I am proud to announce that we are part of a new breakfast program that Marriott has rolled out and we have begun an entirely new breakfast program. Springhill Suites as a brand wants to adapt to our guests and our pilot program is designed to get input from our guests. Like you have already stated we will be undergoing full renovations starting in December which will update all amenities. I do invite you to come back and stay with us and please feel free to contact me directly to make any reservations.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here on a whim as I was running a half marathon up near Laingsburg. While the East Lansing/MSU hotels may have been closer to the race, the prices just seemed too steep.
The facility and rooms were clean and neat, the room was equipped with a sitting area and a small kitchenette. The bed and pillows were quite comfortable!
My favorite part about this stay was the staff. Everyone I spoke to from the time I made the reservation to the moment I checked out was incredibly kind and helpful. Upon entering my room I immediately noticed the lovely note from a member of the housekeeping staff, which I really enjoyed! In addition, with the timing of my race I expressed my concern about my ability to return to the room post-race to clean up, and they generously offered me a later check out time. I couldn't have been more thankful!
I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Patrick B, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Lansing, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Wow, thank you so much for the kind words. We certainly strive to give great customer service and appreciate it when our guest let us know how we do. We understand that it isnt only the main things that matter, but also the personal touches. I invite you to come back and stay with us again and see our new look after February. Thank you again.