“A home away from home for the weary business traveler”

Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Lansing
East Lansing, Michigan
“A home away from home for the weary business traveler”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I have been staying at the Lansing Michigan Causeway Bay Hotel 3-4 days a week for the past 6 months. I have been pleasantly surprised by the modern renovations that have been taking place over the past several months. It is becoming a beautiful hotel with very comfortable rooms. The room decor is lovely. The bed is quite comfortable and I enjoy the down comforters and the many pillows. I am a business woman and safety is important to me. The hotel has done a good job placing cameras in many areas inside and outside the hotel. That does create a level and feeling of security. The staff have always been polite, knowledgable, and professional.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank attmassey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
cheboygan
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Our group has booked our conference with this hotel several times over the years and we continue to return. They have been in the process of a major re-do and by the looks of things, it's going to be gorgeous when completed at the end of this year. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are excellent; clean and very comfortable and the beds are some of the best I've slept in.

I, as well as another in our group, had special requests and they were met without any problems. The restaurant is lovely and there is also a separate bar with music. The landscaping is gorgeous; flowing streams with colorful Koi, outdoor patios to smoke or just sit and enjoy the weather. Shopping and restaurants are up and down Cedar street for easy access.

This hotel offers audio/visual equipment and also has a 'techy' available for help in use. The conference rooms are great and very pretty, they can accommodate large to small groups very comfortably. I recommend this hotel for overnight as well as group stays.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed September 30, 2010

First, I tried to register for a room on causeway bay hotel's web site. it did not work.
I called the number listed on their web site. It did not work.
I called the 877 number, It worked.

Expidia's lowest price was $107.00 when I called Casuseway Bay I got the same room for $65 a night.
I have yet to enter the Hotel's property.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank chuckbratton
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Management assured both the event planner and myself personally that all problems mentioned by previous Trip Advisors would be taken care of. They were NOT. The place is a dump held together by duct tape. It smells bad and the air temperature approaches summer heat in some of the spaces, including a seminar room where I was assigned to present. Do not believe them if they tell you renovations are complete or will be complete in your areas. They will NOT.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SnailTrail

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

Grayling, Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I was in Lansing just for an overnight visit and my friend recommended Causeway Bay. I was very pleased with my stay. There is renovations going on but they try and make sure it's not to much of inconvience to their guests. My room was very clean and I loved the TV. I did not have batteries in my remote and I called the front desk and they sent batteries up that minute. I was quit impressed with their excellent customer service. I know once the remodeling is completed, the Causeway Bay will be the hotel to stay at in Lansing!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Damascus, Maryland, USA
Reviewed June 25, 2010

When I checked into this hotel for a convention that has been held here for more than 10 years in a row (starting before Causeway Bay took over the Holiday Inn), I was asked for a credit card and my driver's license. I handed them over and was given them back, along with keys to my two rooms. At no time was I told that because I had made a reservation for the two rooms for five days each, that a $1200 hold would be placed on my credit card (which was actually a debit card for my checking account). Because of this hold, I had a bill payment through my bank go through, but be assessed an overdraft fee because, due to the $1200 hold, the bank counted me as overdrawn. A second bill payment was denied due to me being 'overdrawn,' and because the bank took five days to mail me a notice that it had denied the payment, my car insurance lapsed and I had to pay an extra $200 to start it up again. That's $200 *above* the amount I had currently been paying.

When I called to complain to the hotel, I was told that it was 'standard' that a hold be placed on the account and that I had been told when I checked in. I begged to differ, because if I had been told a TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLAR hold was going to be placed on my account, I would have made arrangements to cover the bills another way. I was never told.

The hotel gave me the name of Amy Jo Driver, who has been ducking my calls and all the voice mails I've been leaving for the past 3 weeks. She asked for proof I had paid a fee, which I e-mailed to her. Another woman called and said that she would talk to her supervisor and call me back and ten days later, I haven't heard from her. When I called today, nearly a month after my stay and the beginning of my disagreement with the hotel, I insisted on talking with someone, and lo and behold, Amy Jo Driver was suddenly available to take my call. She repeated herself eight times about how it was standard and I should have known they were going to do that and that I had been told. I repeated right back that I had NOT been told and that a $1200 hold on my account SHOULD HAVE BEEN COMMUNICATED TO ME. She ended up passing the buck to a Cindy Richter, who conveniently won't be in the hotel until Tuesday (four days from now).

I guess I'll just keep putting my experience on every travel site out there, and blog about it, put in on my Twitter account, my Facebook account, etc., until someone at the hotel decides it's worth paying me back for the fee my bank charged rather than have the negative press from someone who will NOT go away.

Now, as to the service -- see above; it's horrible. The beds are rock-hard and very uncomfortable. When we moved the couch, we discovered a dried Blow-Pop sucker stuck to the carpet. There were plates missing from two of the wall sockets (very dangerous!), multiple light bulbs were either dead or missing altogether.

Gone are the days when they used to leave candy bars and bottled water in the small refrigerators, replaced daily, and the coffee maker in one room didn't work, while the other one worked intermittently.

I would definitely NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MFrank6
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This joke of a 'hotel' has the most insensitive and ignorant management that I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. They are greedy and couldn't care less about disabled or elderly guests.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business