“Dump”

Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Lansing
Columbia, South Carolina
“Dump”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Management assured both the event planner and myself personally that all problems mentioned by previous Trip Advisors would be taken care of. They were NOT. The place is a dump held together by duct tape. It smells bad and the air temperature approaches summer heat in some of the spaces, including a seminar room where I was assigned to present. Do not believe them if they tell you renovations are complete or will be complete in your areas. They will NOT.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SnailTrail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Grayling, Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I was in Lansing just for an overnight visit and my friend recommended Causeway Bay. I was very pleased with my stay. There is renovations going on but they try and make sure it's not to much of inconvience to their guests. My room was very clean and I loved the TV. I did not have batteries in my remote and I called the front desk and they sent batteries up that minute. I was quit impressed with their excellent customer service. I know once the remodeling is completed, the Causeway Bay will be the hotel to stay at in Lansing!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Damascus, Maryland, USA
Reviewed June 25, 2010

When I checked into this hotel for a convention that has been held here for more than 10 years in a row (starting before Causeway Bay took over the Holiday Inn), I was asked for a credit card and my driver's license. I handed them over and was given them back, along with keys to my two rooms. At no time was I told that because I had made a reservation for the two rooms for five days each, that a $1200 hold would be placed on my credit card (which was actually a debit card for my checking account). Because of this hold, I had a bill payment through my bank go through, but be assessed an overdraft fee because, due to the $1200 hold, the bank counted me as overdrawn. A second bill payment was denied due to me being 'overdrawn,' and because the bank took five days to mail me a notice that it had denied the payment, my car insurance lapsed and I had to pay an extra $200 to start it up again. That's $200 *above* the amount I had currently been paying.

When I called to complain to the hotel, I was told that it was 'standard' that a hold be placed on the account and that I had been told when I checked in. I begged to differ, because if I had been told a TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLAR hold was going to be placed on my account, I would have made arrangements to cover the bills another way. I was never told.

The hotel gave me the name of Amy Jo Driver, who has been ducking my calls and all the voice mails I've been leaving for the past 3 weeks. She asked for proof I had paid a fee, which I e-mailed to her. Another woman called and said that she would talk to her supervisor and call me back and ten days later, I haven't heard from her. When I called today, nearly a month after my stay and the beginning of my disagreement with the hotel, I insisted on talking with someone, and lo and behold, Amy Jo Driver was suddenly available to take my call. She repeated herself eight times about how it was standard and I should have known they were going to do that and that I had been told. I repeated right back that I had NOT been told and that a $1200 hold on my account SHOULD HAVE BEEN COMMUNICATED TO ME. She ended up passing the buck to a Cindy Richter, who conveniently won't be in the hotel until Tuesday (four days from now).

I guess I'll just keep putting my experience on every travel site out there, and blog about it, put in on my Twitter account, my Facebook account, etc., until someone at the hotel decides it's worth paying me back for the fee my bank charged rather than have the negative press from someone who will NOT go away.

Now, as to the service -- see above; it's horrible. The beds are rock-hard and very uncomfortable. When we moved the couch, we discovered a dried Blow-Pop sucker stuck to the carpet. There were plates missing from two of the wall sockets (very dangerous!), multiple light bulbs were either dead or missing altogether.

Gone are the days when they used to leave candy bars and bottled water in the small refrigerators, replaced daily, and the coffee maker in one room didn't work, while the other one worked intermittently.

I would definitely NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MFrank6

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This joke of a 'hotel' has the most insensitive and ignorant management that I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. They are greedy and couldn't care less about disabled or elderly guests.

1 Thank Wolfeblayde
Kentwood, Michigan
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Beware seniors, people shorter than 5'4" tall, and anyone who has even the smallest mobility issue. You won't be comfortable in this hotel. While a guest at Causeway Bay for a hobbyist convention, I found their 'new' beds way too high to get into or out of safely and easily and no step stools located in the room. Apparently the company expects only guests who are mobility issue free and at least 5'4" tall to be guests in their establishment. When I called the desk for a stepstool the one they brought was a battered and stained plastic one with a surface that was extremely rough and so not comfortable on bare feet. Obviously they had to scrounge around to locate it. While it worked, it was difficult. My stay was not very pleasant because of the nightly struggle to use the bed.

1 Thank della5
CBFrontDeskMgr, Manager at Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Dear Guest,
All of our rooms have been renovated to some extent. We have changed all of the old mattresses in all of the rooms to pillow top goose down feather mattresses. We have also up graded all t.v.’s and appliances in all of the rooms. In addition to the room upgrades we have renovated our bar/lounge, lobby, and indoor pool area. I find it very dificult to appologize for the fact that we are making improvements to better asure a pleasant experience. Dispite your disapointments with us, I really encourage you to come back and give us another opportunity to serve you.
Andrea Sakaya-Miller
Front Desk Manager
Toledo
Reviewed May 30, 2010

This is my 2nd year staying at Causeway, last year they took over for the Holiday Inn that I've stayed at since the year 2000. Last year in the mist of confusion of taking over from the Holiday Inn. This year has been a MAJOR improvement, the staff is attentive, polite and concerned about the guests. There is still remodeling going on and there are little inconveniences, but these can be overlooked because it is for the improvement of not only the guests who stay at Media West in May but for all their guest throughout the year. They have poured more money that I would have thought advisable, especially in this economy. Yet they see the long road ahead.. This year, I did something stupid I rolled up my swimsuit in a towel.. Any other time I would have counted it lost forever. In fact I was making arrangements on how I could get a new one because I thought for sure that I'd not see this one again. The staff went out of their way to locate and not only locate it clean it and the housekeeper in charge of cleaning my room brought it to me. NOW that is customer service.

This hotel is still going through remodeling and there will be slight inconveniences, but, I strongly suggest you over look those and enjoy the comfortable beds, the televisions that are pleasing to the eye and ear. And where you are made to feel like a person instead of a number.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Obnoxious is the word that comes to mind when I think of my stay at this Dump. I am flabergasted that they keep this place open while under construction and more, I am astounded they are still open with the inept and rude staff they have. From the management to the hourly staff, it was a complete mess. I have to say that I literally laughed as I did not meet ONE staff member with a full set of teeth or any sense of customer service, even the Assistant General Manager seemed to be incompitant. The restaurant was in such a distugusting state of disrepair that I wouldn't even sit in the chairs as they had stains and the smell was enough to turn me off eating for months to come. And let's not even talk of the pathetic excuse for a room service cart that was wheeled to my room along with food place on dirty trays and under tarnished and stained silver plate coverings. Disgusting is the only thing that comes to mind. WOW!!! To believe that we payed $99.00 a night is incomprehensable. Do yourself a favor and stay someplace else.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business