“Golden Glow of Christmas Past Convention” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Lansing
Horton, Michigan
“Golden Glow of Christmas Past Convention”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Our stay at the Best Western Plus in Lansing, MI was special -- a tribute both to the facility and to the great staff who worked so hard to make sure we had a wonderful week for the annual convention of The Golden Glow of Christmas Past (a club of antique Christmas collectors) held at the hotel in July, 2013. There were approximately 450 members in attendance and we had a great time! The hotel was clean, bright, and prepared for us. The staff was awesome – always cheerful, helpful, and very patient as we turned their convention rooms, hallways, and lobby into a tribute to vintage Christmas for the week. The convention rooms were conveniently located close enough together for easy access to lecture halls, museum rooms, hospitality area, and specialty rooms with no great treks between the various rooms. I particularly enjoyed the large outer patio that was located just off the lobby (and conference area) where many of us convened in the afternoons and evenings. The banquet meals were excellent and the dining staff served the large crowd efficiently. The bedroom that my party had was clean and comfortable, and it was a plus to have both a refrigerator and a microwave available in the room. Additional amenities included a complimentary breakfast, coffee in the lobby, and free parking. "Thank you" to all the staff for a special week.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a lovely hotel made even better by a friendly, helpful staff. They were very obliging to our large, demanding, messy, boisterous group. The koi pond and the Asian art work are pretty and make it distinctive from other large hotels. The only reason I did not rate it higher was that there seemed to be a little less than desired from the onsite lobby restaurant, but the banquet food was genuinely delicious. I was very glad to have the refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, and generous counter space in the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mccordsville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stay in a lot of hotel while on travel for Business and while staying at the Best Western Plus in Lansing Michigan I was treated very well by all staff members, my room was clean and comfortable. I would stay there again if I am ever in Lansing Michigan.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

slanesville,wv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

The Hotel was excellent, there were some issues with our room and they accommodated us to the ultimate degree. The sales manager Lynn Gilmarten went above and beyond to see that my family was happy. The whole staff in fact. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask the staff they will hook you nup
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I don't usually take the time to review anything, but I had to tell of my experience. I have stayed in this hotel when it was Holiday Inn, Causeway Bay, and now the Best Western Plus. and Plus is an understatement. As soon as I walked in and saw the beautiful décor, I thought I was in trouble, (Rate wise that is) I spoke with Lisa and Gabrielle, who both were extremely pleasant, courteous, and helpful. I was thoroughly exhausted, and wanted a room for a couple of days to get away. I was given one rate, and it was a bit more than I had anticipated paying, but when I said, Ohhh I hope to stay two days but can only afford one, Lisa was very accommodating and told me if I stayed two nights, she would discount my stay, provide me with a late check out, AND throw in breakfast. How could I pass that up. Poor Gabrielle looked like she wasn't so sure, but she smile the entire time. I travel a lot, I stay in hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, resorts, and have never had such a great first impression as these two ladies made. The room was so luxurious. I had a bazillion pillows, an awesome television, sparkling clean bathrooms, the beds wow, if I didn't have to go back to work, I would have extended my stay. The breakfast, well with the exception of hard boiled eggs, was great. Unlimited juice and coffee, pastries, cereal, and a couple hot items was well worth it. The restaurant staff, Stephanie, was so sweet, kind, smiling very nice to me.
The nightclub was quaint and clean and nice. There was Karaoke, which the girls at front desk invited me to stop in and watch. They were right, very comical and fun. You must stay there to see what I am talking about, AND there is this little Asian gentleman whom I saw feeding the fish, a magnificent fish pond to see, and walking around, he was a friendly gentleman. I think I heard one person say he was the general manager.

Room Tip: a room above the courtyard where the fishpond is is a must. And extremely quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dowagiac, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

This hotel is excellent, very friendly staff, clean hotel throughout, and very nice. Every time I have to stay in Lansing I choose the best western plus even if its a commute to attend my classes, because no other hotel in Lansing compares. The hotel has a pool, work out facilities, night club, restaurant, conference area, business center, gardens, patio, laundry room, dry cleaning available etc! Also the hotel is pet friendly doesn't smell like dog, very clean and the staff is very nice to your dogs, a large grass area to walk dog at the hotel as well. I see kids at the hotel and a lot of traffic (lots of people) and it has never been loud. i have never heard kids running through the halls or anything. I would not recommend staying anywhere else! If you enjoy having a satisfying stay then you must stay at the best western plus on cedar st. Lansing MI

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ale F
Macomb, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Travel much? If so and you've been to a Best Western Plus, PLEASE do not assume this is similar to others where you have stayed with competent front desk staff or hotel management! Also do not be fooled by the pictures and falsely swayed into thinking that the modern decor and fixtures are up to par! I STILL cannot fathom how the owner was able to finagle and have Causeway Bay's name changed to a nationally recognized and respected name like Best Western Plus. If this hotel's location was the benchmark for the entire chain, it would quickly dismantle any opportunity for hotel growth as it would scare any savvy travelers far away.

My review may be lengthy, but it provides a sound insightful experience that can be referenced with other reviews by those who stayed during the same time period who were not thrilled with their stay. Please look at the OVERALL complaints from others as well who were not satisfied before making a final decision.

Unfortunately, I stayed here with colleagues both in May and June for a business conference outside of the hotel. The proximity of the hotel to the conference location was the primary reason for the selection by the secretary who booked our accommodations. Later, we discovered that NO ONE from our department will book any rooms at this location based on its poor reputation. We truly wish would have been known prior to our stay. (There is another hotel with a familiar name in the area who has both conference rooms and accommodations. I hear it is beautiful and the service is extremely professional.)

Prior to our return from the conference, the secretary was notified to NEVER book any rooms at this location! It would not matter if a serious group discount or even FREE accommodations were offered as part of a package deal to regain our business, we will NEVER stay here again! The potential increased rate would be well worth the professionalism and proper building cleanliness offered by another hotel establishment!

When we stayed in May for three nights, the check-in process was relatively easy. The front desk staff appeared pretty nice even though their lack of professional polished look was most apparent. Immediately upon our arrival, it was apparent that the Air Conditioner (AC) was NOT working in the hallways or in the front desk area. NO one even mentioned it, we had to inquire. We were assured that it was being worked on and it would be back up and running soon. The lobby doors were open creating an extremely humid environment which was worse once on the upper hotel floors. We stepped off the elevator and it was almost difficult to breathe. My co-workers and I dismissed it believing the explanation offered was sufficient. Please note that the AC was NOT fixed during our three night stay.

However, once in my room the AC unit was not functioning properly. Once turned on it became cooler than the hallway. However, it never properly cooled and it was confirmed when my colleague compared the temperature to her room. Additionally, the water in the shower or the sink did not reach hot/warm temperatures. So, the first night and the following morning I took a lukewarm shower, which is not the most comfortable feeling especially when shampooing. I reported this issue to the front desk while attending the business conference. Yet, when I returned to my room NONE of the issues were remedied. I could not tolerate another lukewarm shower. Since the front desk did not answer the phone once I telephoned a few times from my room, I went downstairs. I was offered the opportunity to change rooms which I did after 11 pm and given vouchers for breakfast (since it was not included in our room charge).

The bathrooms were not public restroom dirty, but there was a noticeable lack of overall complete cleanliness that is typical of Best Western Plus hotels. It was not the hotel chain's norm as collected dust was quiet visible on the cabinets, the base of the toilet not fully cleaned or debris along the edges of the shower walls. Dust was present along the tables as well. The room had a stagnant smell even with the AC running. Additionally, the air quality was pretty poor throughout the facility. But there was an even more foul smell in certain areas of the upper level hallways. This odor was present even during the June visit even if the levels of offensiveness varied from one area to another.

Several other guests did make comments on having problems with payment. I believe EACH of those incidents are true even though I have never spoken or messaged them through tripadvisor or otherwise. I hold this belief based on how we were treated when we returned in June. We were treated with extreme disrespect. If we hadn't been out of town and on a business trip we would have NOT booked our room the second time. It is quite apparent and the lack of training is most evident. There was an issue with the form of payment policy. This information changed from three different individuals and this included the manager over group sales and the OWNER. He, the owner, did not conduct himself as a proprietor of any establishment nor did he apologize for the misinformation or misunderstanding. I was appalled. It took over an hour for the matter to be cleared up before we allowed to go to our rooms.

I felt like we dealt with individuals who had just barely obtained their GED versus trained front desk professions as I am accustomed to when traveling. (They were all young girls like immature individuals in high school.) I was informed there is a high turnover rate from a manager, which made a lot of sense with their conduct, the lack of accountability for making a mistake and their willingness to lie in order to prevent potential disciplinary action.

Eventually, one of the group sales managers provided us with restaurant vouchers after I expressed my extreme disappointment. It was a kind gesture that should have been offered upfront and so much more. However, I was appreciative once it was offered even though it was much too late.

The menu is the same for both restaurants. One is located in the bar Valencia with limited items and the other is used for the breakfast. The breakfast is really limited when compared to others. (It would not be worth it if not complimentary.) The staff in both the restaurant and bar area were ALL extremely nice. The was ONLY one person who worked the bar area and was equally responsible for taking orders and picking up items from the kitchen. It was not her fault and we really valued her service despite her being spread thin.

The hotel still needs a lot of work. One cannot simply paint the walls over and move in modern furniture. One has to invest in drywall, new doors (instead of poorly painted over) and brighten the dim light in the hallways.

When we went to the poor area in May, we were told by a guest who had arrived a day or two earlier that it had been shut down for cleaning. She stated there was a huge incident where the pool area had been trashed, things were floating in the pool and the water was a brownish color. We did not feel that it had been sufficiently cleaned due to the appearance, the other problems areas in the hotel and the fact that it was only closed for a few hours. The notion of the pool area being unsanitary was super gross!

I would like to reiterate please Do NOT just read my review, take the time to read other reviews dated 2013 and those responded to by Eric W. Front Office Manager from guests who were not happy with their stay. I never interacted with Eric W. (and he might be a new Front Office manager), but he seems to have responded to several recent reviews. I figure if a Front Office manager is SO CONCERNED about the customers then INTERACT while they are hotel guests and not deliver empty words on tripadvisor!

Those seeking a hotel in the Lansing area please do not waste your time, energy and money at this location under the current hotel management.

Room Tip: The BEST tip that I can offer is to seriously consider another hotel to fit your needs.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank ChulitaTravelChica
Eric W, Front Office Manager at Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear guest,

I apologize for the unsatisfactory service you feel you experienced at our property.

Please note that during your stay your party never requested to speak with me regarding any of your situations. I was only made aware after other management had been involved and were dealing with your issues and concerns.

It was very detailed and I agree with some of your frustrations but you did leave quite a bit out regarding the behavior our staff experienced from your party.

I would like to let other tripadvisor reviewers have a little more information regarding the instances during your stays so they can better judge the validity of your comments.

During your first stay we were made of aware of your room issues which were handled promptly by our staff. We were experiencing issues with our boiliers at one point but they were professionaly repaired as soon as possible. Our a/c was having issues in certain areas of the hotel but this was repaired as well.

We were very kind in not charging one person in your group a smoking charge for smoking in the room. This usually would incur a 200.00 charge but considering you came as state employees I allowed the staff to overlook this.

We also had it in the notes on your second stay about the issues during your first stay so we could make sure this time would be more enjoyable.

During your second visit your party became irate in the lobby at check-in when our front desk staff questioned the check you presented for payment. The check was not written out to the Best Western Plus and it had been printed 2 weeks prior to your arrival and nobody could provide any form of state employee identification. The individual who signed the check was not on property as well and was unavailable to reach via phone.

Some individuals in your party threatened our front desk staff and used extermely foul language in the lobby to the point that it offended several other guests staying in our hotel.

I will say that we personally did not have much interaction as you were dealing with another manager regarding your situtation. However, it was brought to my attention the positive comments you stated about me and were very pleased with my professionalism.

We strive to provide exceptional customer service to everyone of our guests and your party was no exception even after the issues our staff experienced.

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels