“Beware of the Bogus Best Western Plus...Simply The Worst”

Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel
Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Travel much? If so and you've been to a Best Western Plus, PLEASE do not assume this is similar to others where you have stayed with competent front desk staff or hotel management! Also do not be fooled by the pictures and falsely swayed into thinking that the modern decor and fixtures are up to par! I STILL cannot fathom how the owner was able to finagle and have Causeway Bay's name changed to a nationally recognized and respected name like Best Western Plus. If this hotel's location was the benchmark for the entire chain, it would quickly dismantle any opportunity for hotel growth as it would scare any savvy travelers far away.

My review may be lengthy, but it provides a sound insightful experience that can be referenced with other reviews by those who stayed during the same time period who were not thrilled with their stay. Please look at the OVERALL complaints from others as well who were not satisfied before making a final decision.

Unfortunately, I stayed here with colleagues both in May and June for a business conference outside of the hotel. The proximity of the hotel to the conference location was the primary reason for the selection by the secretary who booked our accommodations. Later, we discovered that NO ONE from our department will book any rooms at this location based on its poor reputation. We truly wish would have been known prior to our stay. (There is another hotel with a familiar name in the area who has both conference rooms and accommodations. I hear it is beautiful and the service is extremely professional.)

Prior to our return from the conference, the secretary was notified to NEVER book any rooms at this location! It would not matter if a serious group discount or even FREE accommodations were offered as part of a package deal to regain our business, we will NEVER stay here again! The potential increased rate would be well worth the professionalism and proper building cleanliness offered by another hotel establishment!

When we stayed in May for three nights, the check-in process was relatively easy. The front desk staff appeared pretty nice even though their lack of professional polished look was most apparent. Immediately upon our arrival, it was apparent that the Air Conditioner (AC) was NOT working in the hallways or in the front desk area. NO one even mentioned it, we had to inquire. We were assured that it was being worked on and it would be back up and running soon. The lobby doors were open creating an extremely humid environment which was worse once on the upper hotel floors. We stepped off the elevator and it was almost difficult to breathe. My co-workers and I dismissed it believing the explanation offered was sufficient. Please note that the AC was NOT fixed during our three night stay.

However, once in my room the AC unit was not functioning properly. Once turned on it became cooler than the hallway. However, it never properly cooled and it was confirmed when my colleague compared the temperature to her room. Additionally, the water in the shower or the sink did not reach hot/warm temperatures. So, the first night and the following morning I took a lukewarm shower, which is not the most comfortable feeling especially when shampooing. I reported this issue to the front desk while attending the business conference. Yet, when I returned to my room NONE of the issues were remedied. I could not tolerate another lukewarm shower. Since the front desk did not answer the phone once I telephoned a few times from my room, I went downstairs. I was offered the opportunity to change rooms which I did after 11 pm and given vouchers for breakfast (since it was not included in our room charge).

The bathrooms were not public restroom dirty, but there was a noticeable lack of overall complete cleanliness that is typical of Best Western Plus hotels. It was not the hotel chain's norm as collected dust was quiet visible on the cabinets, the base of the toilet not fully cleaned or debris along the edges of the shower walls. Dust was present along the tables as well. The room had a stagnant smell even with the AC running. Additionally, the air quality was pretty poor throughout the facility. But there was an even more foul smell in certain areas of the upper level hallways. This odor was present even during the June visit even if the levels of offensiveness varied from one area to another.

Several other guests did make comments on having problems with payment. I believe EACH of those incidents are true even though I have never spoken or messaged them through tripadvisor or otherwise. I hold this belief based on how we were treated when we returned in June. We were treated with extreme disrespect. If we hadn't been out of town and on a business trip we would have NOT booked our room the second time. It is quite apparent and the lack of training is most evident. There was an issue with the form of payment policy. This information changed from three different individuals and this included the manager over group sales and the OWNER. He, the owner, did not conduct himself as a proprietor of any establishment nor did he apologize for the misinformation or misunderstanding. I was appalled. It took over an hour for the matter to be cleared up before we allowed to go to our rooms.

I felt like we dealt with individuals who had just barely obtained their GED versus trained front desk professions as I am accustomed to when traveling. (They were all young girls like immature individuals in high school.) I was informed there is a high turnover rate from a manager, which made a lot of sense with their conduct, the lack of accountability for making a mistake and their willingness to lie in order to prevent potential disciplinary action.

Eventually, one of the group sales managers provided us with restaurant vouchers after I expressed my extreme disappointment. It was a kind gesture that should have been offered upfront and so much more. However, I was appreciative once it was offered even though it was much too late.

The menu is the same for both restaurants. One is located in the bar Valencia with limited items and the other is used for the breakfast. The breakfast is really limited when compared to others. (It would not be worth it if not complimentary.) The staff in both the restaurant and bar area were ALL extremely nice. The was ONLY one person who worked the bar area and was equally responsible for taking orders and picking up items from the kitchen. It was not her fault and we really valued her service despite her being spread thin.

The hotel still needs a lot of work. One cannot simply paint the walls over and move in modern furniture. One has to invest in drywall, new doors (instead of poorly painted over) and brighten the dim light in the hallways.

When we went to the poor area in May, we were told by a guest who had arrived a day or two earlier that it had been shut down for cleaning. She stated there was a huge incident where the pool area had been trashed, things were floating in the pool and the water was a brownish color. We did not feel that it had been sufficiently cleaned due to the appearance, the other problems areas in the hotel and the fact that it was only closed for a few hours. The notion of the pool area being unsanitary was super gross!

I would like to reiterate please Do NOT just read my review, take the time to read other reviews dated 2013 and those responded to by Eric W. Front Office Manager from guests who were not happy with their stay. I never interacted with Eric W. (and he might be a new Front Office manager), but he seems to have responded to several recent reviews. I figure if a Front Office manager is SO CONCERNED about the customers then INTERACT while they are hotel guests and not deliver empty words on tripadvisor!

Those seeking a hotel in the Lansing area please do not waste your time, energy and money at this location under the current hotel management.

Room Tip: The BEST tip that I can offer is to seriously consider another hotel to fit your needs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank ChulitaTravelChica
Eric W, Front Office Manager at Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear guest,

I apologize for the unsatisfactory service you feel you experienced at our property.

Please note that during your stay your party never requested to speak with me regarding any of your situations. I was only made aware after other management had been involved and were dealing with your issues and concerns.

It was very detailed and I agree with some of your frustrations but you did leave quite a bit out regarding the behavior our staff experienced from your party.

I would like to let other tripadvisor reviewers have a little more information regarding the instances during your stays so they can better judge the validity of your comments.

During your first stay we were made of aware of your room issues which were handled promptly by our staff. We were experiencing issues with our boiliers at one point but they were professionaly repaired as soon as possible. Our a/c was having issues in certain areas of the hotel but this was repaired as well.

We were very kind in not charging one person in your group a smoking charge for smoking in the room. This usually would incur a 200.00 charge but considering you came as state employees I allowed the staff to overlook this.

We also had it in the notes on your second stay about the issues during your first stay so we could make sure this time would be more enjoyable.

During your second visit your party became irate in the lobby at check-in when our front desk staff questioned the check you presented for payment. The check was not written out to the Best Western Plus and it had been printed 2 weeks prior to your arrival and nobody could provide any form of state employee identification. The individual who signed the check was not on property as well and was unavailable to reach via phone.

Some individuals in your party threatened our front desk staff and used extermely foul language in the lobby to the point that it offended several other guests staying in our hotel.

I will say that we personally did not have much interaction as you were dealing with another manager regarding your situtation. However, it was brought to my attention the positive comments you stated about me and were very pleased with my professionalism.

We strive to provide exceptional customer service to everyone of our guests and your party was no exception even after the issues our staff experienced.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for three nights in early June while attending a convention of over 100 people! We arrived at about 4PM on Thursday knowing that there would be convention activities at 7:00 P.M.in the hotel. After a smooth check in and getting settled in our room (which was very nice....clean with numerous amenities), we went down to the bar for a quick drink and then expected to go to the restaurant for dinner. Upon arrival at the bar, Ginny, the bartender, advised us that there was no restaurant in the hotel that served dinner. We would have to order bar fare if we wanted to eat in the hotel. We decided we did not have time to go somewhere else and be back for our meeting so we decided to order something from the bar about 6:00 P.M. Many others at the convention flew in and had no vehicles so they had no choice! The crowd in the bar grew larger and larger as convention people learned there was no restaurant available and if they wanted to eat, they needed to go the bar! Now picture this...Ginny (the bartender, waitress, server, TV channel changer, etc.) is there alone trying her best to appease between 50 and 100 people (some of which are very upset because they do not want bar food!)(not Ginny's fault!) She not only has to take all the drink orders but then all the food orders, send those orders to the kitchen, serve more drinks, change TV channels, but then go to the kitchen and pick up the food orders and bring them back to the bar area and serve them promptly to the waiting customers....then make sure all the thirsty bar patrons are satisfied! This lady worked her behind off!!!! With no support!!! Where was management? Why did they not anticipate this type of crowd and staff properly?? Management failed in this instance and many others! We had a cocktail hour before our dinner on Saturday night and the poor bartender didn't stand a chance! The bar was insufficiently stocked to handle our requests.....excuse me, two bottles of white wine...then out? Again, I believe the management in this hotel cannot plan ahead very well.

Our room was great except we asked for a quiet room but were placed on the street side..very noisy...our big problem here was a lack of managerial support for the work staff!!!

If you are part of a convention (or are there while there is a convention), be prepared for the staffing to not handle all your needs...

Also the breakfast was severely lacking...very little choice of food and drinks! And cold!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the main road..noisy!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

I apologize for the unsatisfactory service you experienced during your stay at our proprety.

I have forwarded this file to our food and beverage and banquet managers to use this as a learning tool on things we can change to avoid these instances in the future.

We have upgraded our breakfast with many new items including fresh eggs, fresh sausage and waffle makers among other things.

We hope that you consider us again when staying in the Lansing, MI area.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My niece recently stayed at your hotel. She lost her home to a fire, and a local agency put her up in this hotel for several nights. I came to visit her, and the room was amazing. The front desk staff was also amazing. She told me something that just brought me to tears. She said she called down to the front desk one evening and spoke with I believe a woman whose name was Lisa. She said that she asked her if they had any t-shirts at the hotel as she had lost everything in a fire, and had nothing to sleep in. She told her no, but she had some at home, and she would see what she could find. True to her word, this woman brought my niece two freshly washed T-shirts as promised, a couple of leads on an apartments, and prayer and encouragement. Who does this in this day? She told me that this woman was so kind to her during her entire stay. She said everyone at this hotel treated her as though she and her daughter were there spending hundreds of dollars a night. She said the girl who checked her in Lindsey I believe, was smiling, and kind and helpful. She also told me she went into the nightclub, and the bartender gave her containers, and utensils so she could feed her small daughter. She didnt have that woman's name but her name started with a B about 40ish. My niece just cried and cried because she could not believe how nice the staff at this hotel was. I have some out of town guests who will be coming toward Christmas time, and will be contacting your hotel to have them stay there. I told her she should call management, but she was still a bit embarrased about her situation. They were very attentive to her needs, and made her feel better about her situation. You have an awesome staff and they should be rewarded.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Carol M,

Thank you for taking the time to post the positive comments on tripadvisor. It is greatly appreciated! It would be great if everyone who has a positive experience respond on tripadvisor!

I hope positive things have been happening since the tragedy that came upon your family.

We look forward to having you again as our guests in the near future

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed 3 nights as part of a convention - approximately 120 people. Bar/restaurant opened at 5 PM with only 1 person (Ginny) working. I would guess that 50 or more people were in the room as it was the only eating and drinking facility open. Ginny took the orders, made and served drinks, sent food orders to kitchen, then went and picked them up, and served them. No one from management stopped by to see what was going on - to see if additional help was needed. Some standard bar items were in short supply, so Ginny had to go get additional bottles. Several members of our group were unable to eat prior to our seven o'clock meeting, and the kitchen closed at 9PM. Great - if you flew into town and had no car !

Breakfast items were mediocre at best, with a line to eat. Convention bar service - again 1 server and low supply on standard items.

There needs to be some oversight by management, and some preparation for groups that come in

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey of our property during your stay.

I apologize for the unsatisfactory service you experienced in the food and beverage area of the hotel. I have personaly spoke with the manager of this department regarding the information you have provided and he has assured us staffing will be appropriate for the events/occupancy we have in the hotel to make the guest experience more enjoyable.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had three rooms here for graduation weekend at Michigan State Univ. Depending on where your graduate lives, being in Lansing might be easier than East Lansing, as was the case for us. Also the price was a bit better than we could find closer to the University with late reservations. The hotel is a very spread-out conference hotel so you may walk quite far to get to your room. The service was excellent at the desk and the check-in clerk went to a lot of trouble rearranging rooms reserved by different people to get us all close together in the hotel and that was hugely appreciated. There was no in-hotel store for snacks, and the vending machine was broken when we were there, but there are a lot of stores in easy driving distance and the rooms had refrigerators so we were able to stock up after arrival. There is no 'easy' breakfast - you have to go to a restaurant and order for breakfast -- also, not all room rates included breakfast. The manager of the restaurant was wonderful, however, about honoring an online promise of breakfast that wasn't actually supposed to be part of the room rate (or so we gathered..). Pillows were a bit big. So, this review doesn't sound quite as good as I felt about the hotel, It was very good value for us, and served our needs just fine. The location is extremely easy to find/ easy on/off highway and not far from East Lansing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Eric W, Front Office Manager at Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thak you for taking the time to review our property, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to have you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here May 2013 on a road trip. Absolutely rock bottom. I am a Best Western loyalty card holder and this place has soured me on ever staying at a BW hotel again unless I get some reliable advice to the contrary on a particular property.
Everything about this hotel is 'off'....long waits to check in, restaurant open only for breakfast (it was an absolute ZOO too) a bar with 'snacks' but with such a ridiculously inefficient set-up that the poor waitress could only smile and try her best....other forms of communication made virtually impossible by the deafening music (which NO one was enjoying).

Our room smelled dusty, the bathroom had cobwebs and dustbunnies on the door hinges and around the baseboards, and the heating/ac was obnoxiously loud. I couldn't wait to get out of this place, will not be back.

And I will add that we got an email asking us to 'rate the hotel for Trip Advisor'....which I now realize was from the hotel and NOT from Trip Advisor. My review was much longer and more detailed that this one but seems to have mysteriously disappeared. Not surprised. I'd be ashamed if I had anything to do with running this hotel. Best Western brand is tainted by places like this. I honestly can't believe that it gets legitimate positive reviews.

Room Tip: avoid this place like the plague
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

23164 Property
BEST WESTERN PLUS Lansing Hotel

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I was lucky, my room was ready. However, with our convention of about 300 people, many did not get their room until very late due to some destruction/damage by the previous group. The front desk staff had their hands tied and were put in the firing line of some very unhappy people. That being said, the rooms are lovely. I stayed here back in the late 80's and early 90's -- they've done a marvelous job maintaining the property.

The beds were comfy despite having 18 pillows in the room. I am not exaggerating with that either. I only used two. The shower was hot and had great water pressure. The WiFi signal was strong and free. The TV was flat and had a good selection of channels. The keepers could do a little better job cleaning under the bathroom vanity though.

Check-out was difficult. The first printed receipt was my room, but not my name nor my group rate. We returned to the desk to get it fixed and the gal reprinted the receipt for me. This time it was a name closer to my own, but for a stay back in 2011. We didn't bother to go back for a third time and we'll just hope for the best on our credit card statement.

Breakfast the first morning was a nightmare, but I find that to be the fault of our group, not the hotel. The line ran from the elevator to the restaurant. The second morning either the group decided to go off-site or people staggered their eating times better.

Air conditioning seemed broken in the conference center and mosquitoes were horrible in the lobby area as staff was keeping doors open to try to cool it down.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the room despite the other strange occurrences.

Room Tip: Long, long hallways; so you may want to request closer to the elevator bank if mobility is an issue.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

23164 Property
BEST WESTERN PLUS Lansing Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Comfort Inn
Quality Suites Hotel
#4 of 26 in Lansing
Red Roof Inn Lansing West
Candlewood Suites - East Lansing M.S.U

Been to Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel? Share your experiences!