“Ok for the $$ and convenient location”

Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Lansing
Miami, Florida
“Ok for the $$ and convenient location”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had three rooms here for graduation weekend at Michigan State Univ. Depending on where your graduate lives, being in Lansing might be easier than East Lansing, as was the case for us. Also the price was a bit better than we could find closer to the University with late reservations. The hotel is a very spread-out conference hotel so you may walk quite far to get to your room. The service was excellent at the desk and the check-in clerk went to a lot of trouble rearranging rooms reserved by different people to get us all close together in the hotel and that was hugely appreciated. There was no in-hotel store for snacks, and the vending machine was broken when we were there, but there are a lot of stores in easy driving distance and the rooms had refrigerators so we were able to stock up after arrival. There is no 'easy' breakfast - you have to go to a restaurant and order for breakfast -- also, not all room rates included breakfast. The manager of the restaurant was wonderful, however, about honoring an online promise of breakfast that wasn't actually supposed to be part of the room rate (or so we gathered..). Pillows were a bit big. So, this review doesn't sound quite as good as I felt about the hotel, It was very good value for us, and served our needs just fine. The location is extremely easy to find/ easy on/off highway and not far from East Lansing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Eric W, Front Office Manager at Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thak you for taking the time to review our property, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to have you as our guest in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
central Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here May 2013 on a road trip. Absolutely rock bottom. I am a Best Western loyalty card holder and this place has soured me on ever staying at a BW hotel again unless I get some reliable advice to the contrary on a particular property.
Everything about this hotel is 'off'....long waits to check in, restaurant open only for breakfast (it was an absolute ZOO too) a bar with 'snacks' but with such a ridiculously inefficient set-up that the poor waitress could only smile and try her best....other forms of communication made virtually impossible by the deafening music (which NO one was enjoying).

Our room smelled dusty, the bathroom had cobwebs and dustbunnies on the door hinges and around the baseboards, and the heating/ac was obnoxiously loud. I couldn't wait to get out of this place, will not be back.

And I will add that we got an email asking us to 'rate the hotel for Trip Advisor'....which I now realize was from the hotel and NOT from Trip Advisor. My review was much longer and more detailed that this one but seems to have mysteriously disappeared. Not surprised. I'd be ashamed if I had anything to do with running this hotel. Best Western brand is tainted by places like this. I honestly can't believe that it gets legitimate positive reviews.

Room Tip: avoid this place like the plague
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

23164 Property
BEST WESTERN PLUS Lansing Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

Thompsonville, Michigan
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I was lucky, my room was ready. However, with our convention of about 300 people, many did not get their room until very late due to some destruction/damage by the previous group. The front desk staff had their hands tied and were put in the firing line of some very unhappy people. That being said, the rooms are lovely. I stayed here back in the late 80's and early 90's -- they've done a marvelous job maintaining the property.

The beds were comfy despite having 18 pillows in the room. I am not exaggerating with that either. I only used two. The shower was hot and had great water pressure. The WiFi signal was strong and free. The TV was flat and had a good selection of channels. The keepers could do a little better job cleaning under the bathroom vanity though.

Check-out was difficult. The first printed receipt was my room, but not my name nor my group rate. We returned to the desk to get it fixed and the gal reprinted the receipt for me. This time it was a name closer to my own, but for a stay back in 2011. We didn't bother to go back for a third time and we'll just hope for the best on our credit card statement.

Breakfast the first morning was a nightmare, but I find that to be the fault of our group, not the hotel. The line ran from the elevator to the restaurant. The second morning either the group decided to go off-site or people staggered their eating times better.

Air conditioning seemed broken in the conference center and mosquitoes were horrible in the lobby area as staff was keeping doors open to try to cool it down.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the room despite the other strange occurrences.

Room Tip: Long, long hallways; so you may want to request closer to the elevator bank if mobility is an issue.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

23164 Property
BEST WESTERN PLUS Lansing Hotel
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have never seen a hotel like this before, granted I haven't been to many 5 star ones. But they had the most awesome red and black tall velvet chairs all over the place, crystal chandeliers and lights, an amazing garden with a pond and fish, a baby grand piano, a nice gym, and a great pool. The rooms were very clean and I was wowed with all the nice sculptures and art they had all over the hotel and even in the rooms. There were NINE pillows on my bed, which I just loved. Everything was "Clean and Green" as they say. Awesome leather chair for the desk, and came equipped with a fridge, microwave, and a coffee maker, Everything was just so classy! I am totally coming back!

Room Tip: The people at the front desk are a little rude, but maybe they were just busy or something. I will g...
Dear valued guest,

We are pleased too see the positive review of our property!

I apologize on behalf of my front desk and the experience you had. This is not the norm. We expect our staff to provide an exceptional level of service and will use these comments as a learning tool going forward.
Rochester, MI
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I attempted to check into this hotel Friday night (630 or 7). I booked a king hot tub room for 2 nights and had a confirmation for both. Upon my arrival, I was told that the room I booked wasn't available the second night-they gave it to someone else. Huh? I was also told there was a group of cage fighters that were taking over the whole second floor and they get loud all night long and this room is on the second floor. I can take a different room and she would give me vouchers for the difference for the bar or I can take a queen hot tub room the second night and the king room the first. Sorry, but those were my only choices. Moving wasn't an option, and I really didn't want to be surrounded by cage fighters since I was there for a presentation that weekend. It would have been nice to get a phone call or an email explaining the situation so I could make a decision or find an alternative. Instead I got passed off to a cheaper room with an offer of food vouchers. I politely declined the options, said "no thanks, I'll find another hotel" and left. The girl at the front desk apologized and said ok. I assumed that was the end of this. The next morning I logged onto my credit card website to see my balance and was shocked to see that I was charged for the whole two nights of my stay. I immediately called the hotel and explained the situation to the lady on the phone who seemed confused and said "You're not staying here?" She pulled up my confirmation, then saw that I was indeed "overbooked" in the room that I had booked and that I declined staying in a room that I didn't want and that the food vouchers weren't adequate for me. I asked her for a credit to my card. She took my information and said the manager would call me after 3pm when he came in. This was Saturday. Its now Monday night, I still don't have a $380 credit nor a phone call. Really disappointed in Best Western!

Dear valued guest,

On behalf of our hotel I apologize for the frustration with your reservation and overbooking.

To prevent this from happening in the future we now have the front desk calling if any room types need to be changed prior to arrival.

If you are ever in the Lansing area please give me a call directly and I can offer you a discounted room.
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I came for a conference with my church yesterday and was told Check In was a 3:00 p.m.
We didnt get our room until 10:30 at NIGHT Housekeeping was not up to par on cleaning these rooms and all the front desk could tell me was I needed to wait as the rooms were being cleaned so as I proceeded with my group I would check in and see it was clean. Front Desk was busy busy and i thank there wonderful front desk Lindsey she was very pleasant and encouraging, understanding my frustrations, I know the front desk ladies were trying there best to keep composed. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone who isnt commig after a full house though. The rooms were excellent.

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the comments on trip advisor. We are pleased that you were happy with your room when you were able to check in.

We apologize for the delay in the check in process and getting the hotel rooms cleaned to an expected level after a sold out night.

We look forward to having you as our guest in the future. When booking please contact me directly and I will offer you a discounted rate.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed May 1, 2013

First of all, front desk staff was awesome. They had some events that weekend which I enjoyed in the Valencia Club. Brenda was extremely friendly, helpful, and even was willing to try making new drinks for my friend and I. The general manager as I was told he was, was a pleasant gentleman always coming in and out of nightcluc, friendly as well.
The room was immaculate, and the beds well how can you say Kryptonite. You lay in the plush beds and instantly sleep is upon you. Such a good stay and great sleeping and rest.
Bathroom shower was clean, awesome showerhead by the way, Square, it is something to be seen.
The restaurant food was good, friendly staff, got Stehanie every morning she is wonderful.
I would reccomend this hotel to everyone, its accessible to many shopping and restaurant choices as well

Room Tip: Courtyard view is a must
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you taking the time to write a positive response! We appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest again soon!