All reviewsholiday innpublic areascomfortable bedsaverage hotelstaff was friendlyeast lansingcoffee makervalenciaconferencecourtyardmsu
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My son had a hockey tournament in Lansing and his team was assigned to this hotel. Our stay was for 6 nights. I experienced both good and bad things at this hotel. The good: The Lobby was nice and large with plenty of seating. Our room (2 queens) was clean, comfortable and had plenty of room to spread out hockey equipment. The front staff and housekeeping were excellent.

The Bad: The Wi-Fi connection was horrible. 2 bars and unable to connect using my phone, ipad or laptop from our room. I could get a connection if I walked about 100 feet down the hall. I used the laundry facilities on our floor and the washing machine broke. I called the front desk and maintenance arrived 1 hour and 15 minutes later to fix the machine.

Our room rate included a breakfast buffet. The buffet food was not good. Most of our team skipped this meal and went out to eat instead. There is a night club (strip club?) attached to the hotel. Friday and Saturday nights were party nights that went on late into the morning. It made it difficult to get a good night sleep.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank coyotesfft
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I attended a comference held at this hotel so was a "captive audience". The lunch included with the conference was very, very good. One day was a beef selection and second day was a chicken selection. I would say above average for such events. I have had less tasty food at more expensive hotels. The room was really nice, bathroom big, refrigerator included but coffee maker needed attention. I always check before I use and this one was not clean inside.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Earthlyone
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Stayed here for business and loved my room. Plush down comforters with numerous (10) pillows stacked on each comfortable bed. Rooms are quiet and recently updated. Hummingbird Restaurant makes killer omelettes made to order. Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank aknizek
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Pulling up to this hotel, you get the feeling that you might have made a mistake in booking it (and I felt that way, even though the conference I was attending was being held there). It looks outdated and dreary, and even though it's a Best Western, it has the Causeway Bay sign and another sign saying that it used to be the Holiday Inn. There's no mention of coming soon..., now..., we're becoming...

Walking inside to register was a relief because the lobby was clean and modern looking, and it was obvious some money had been/was being put into it. Strangely, all but one of the staff I saw or came into contact with in the lobby had a sour look. Fortunately, the one without the sour look (I think her name was Tanesha) was the one who assisted me. She was very friendly and helpful, even when I came back to report that my first room had no bed (just a sofa) and no linens. My second room was clean, and had newer, up-to-date bedding and furniture. The room was very comfortable and I slept fine. Service during the conference was fine, but again - staff didn't seem very happy to be there.

The biggest reasons I gave this hotel only an "average" - the exterior, lack of accurate signage, an icy, poorly plowed parking lot across the street (in back) and rolls of carpeting sitting in public areas. Hopefully, as the property grows into its "Best Western Plus" all of these things will no longer drag it down.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I have previously reviewed this hotel before, and gave it my highest recommendation. However, I visited this hotel again during mid-November and feel I need to say even more.

My trip was not for pleasure. My mother died and I came from out of state to attend the funeral and be with my father. I arrived somewhere around 1:00 AM. The desk attendent was extremely polite and found me a room at that late hour. Because I was expecting the rest of my family I requested a double queen. Again, the location was perfect, near my parent's house, and just off 96 so I could get where I needed to go without difficulty. The owner, again was the kind of person I want to support in his business venture. He was extremely accomadating, and when he found out that my mother had passed, arranged for a room for my children so that I could have the time alone I needed. While I did not, and would not expect this, it was a welcome relief and gave me the time I needed to be alone; There were times I just could not do my kids justice. The pool and weight room gave my young children something to do while I assisted witht the arrangements. A number of my family members, who I had not seen for many years also came to Lansing and stayed at the Causeway Bay. All were very impressed. '

I recommend this hotel for the traveler, regardless of the reason for the trip; business or pleasure, and thank the owner and the staff for their excellent, caring service. This is my hotel of choice whenever I happen to the Lansing/East Lansing Area.

Room Tip: Any room I have ordered has been great, with refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot. Television is excellent
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family