“Quiet, but no cleaning”

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Lansing
Waseca, Minnesota
“Quiet, but no cleaning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

First off, I got a great night's sleep here (which is important when I travel for work). Nice & quiet. The room was a little cramped, but not too bad.

The bad: Stayed 6 nights - got the room cleaned once. After a couple of nights without service, I had to get more clean towels from the front desk, and mentioned that we hadn't gotten our room cleaned. Didn't get a cleaning the rest of the stay, and on a hectic schedule, so i didn't have the time or energy to keep begging for service. Also, the "breakfast" is next to nothing, with one tiny table in front of the check-in desk to eat. On 2 of the mornings, there was no regular coffee. They don't start making more until someone mentions that the pot is empty, and business travelers just don't have time to wait. At other hotels, you can make a cup or 2 in your room, but this place doesn't have that, so you're at the mercy of the front desk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NoDakker
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Lansing West location. I'm glad you enjoyed the quiet area. I'm sorry to hear about your housekeeping experience, I will be sure to address this issue! We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms, and it's upsetting to hear when we have an issue. Also, we are working on getting coffee pots in all of our room, currently we only have them in our All Inclusive King rooms. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was traveling with someone and they did the check in, check out so no comment on that.

There is a Motel 6 next door but for the extra few dollars we decided to get a ‘nice’ room. The motel is the typical Red Roof layout, the rooms are nothing special, but the beds, bedding, etc would meet the standards of the Holiday Inn (I think). Even for someone as cheap as me, it was well worth the price of the room to have a nice bed and a good nights sleep.

No pictures on this one, the other person had their stuff laying all over the room by the time I got there.

No breakfast or pool, I like that. I am only paying for what I am using.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim-OnTheWayHome
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Lansing West location. I will be sure to share your review with the rest of my team. We are happy to hear you had a good stay with us and enjoyed our new beds. We look forward to your next visit!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed one night at this property after winning it on Priceline. I was impressed at the quality of the new furnishings for a budget hotel. The room was clean and the bed was especially comfortable. The staff member at the check-in desk was especially friendly. For a low-priced accommodation, I would be inclined to stay with Red Roof Inn in the future based on this experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank cookaa
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Lansing West location. I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We always strive to provide a great room at a low cost! We look forward to your next visit.
Saginaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed here for three nights and was happy with what I found! If you want a place to stay during the week for under $60 a night this place is good. My room was updated, clean and nice. The bed was amazing and the sheets and towels were all clean. I dealt with 3 employees during my stay and all were very helpful and nice. The outside does need some updates but I see from a previous post this is going to be addressed this summer. The room was small but comfy. There is no massive breakfast spread and no pool but if your looking for a place to sleep that is clean and safe and do not want to spend $100+ a night I would check this place out. I have to be in Lansing again next month and plan to return for three more nights!

My only minor complaint was the noise from outside. I was on the lower floor and everyone walking by could be heard and those walking by smoking smelled like they were in my room! I never asked to change floors/rooms so my fault for not asking. The outside door was old, thin, and did not close "airtight." I imagine this will be addressed this spring with exterior remodel items. If you're a light sleeper maybe ask for an upstairs room!

Overall very happy with my stay for what I paid! Thanks

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ryan P
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our Lansing West location. We always strive to provide the very best for a reasonable price. As spring slowly approaches we are very excited to get outside and do some updates! Thank you again for the review, and we look forward to your next visit.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Fairly old and run down, but refurbished rooms with new beds and tv. Old carpets though, and weird light switches, supposedly energy saving but truly annoying. Staff were very nice, but some rough and noisy customers there the night we stayed. BK and a good grill with a nice menu and lots of local beers on tap in easy walking distance. RRIs always have coffee - this one had fruit, oatmeal, and granola bars for breakfast. I thought it was expensive for the conditions.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Rachel S
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Lansing West location. I'm glad you enjoyed the newly renovated rooms. I can assure you the exterior will get some attention as soon as it starts to warm up here in Michigan. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next stay!
Norton Shores, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Attended a weekend meeting but friends stayed at near-by Motel 6.
We met there and it was, not dismal, but stoic.
They saved $10 but had no wi-fi, 2000 year old TV and prison-like walls.
I stayed in a REAL motel with zippy wi-fi and a nice room with 2 beds, nice bath and great TV.
Free coffee and professional staff made this discount visit seem like a mini vacation.

Room Tip: Back side (away from check-in side) was super quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JAMBORK
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our location. I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of the team. I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the value. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next stay!
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to rate this hotel. First, the positives. This hotel is clean, quiet, has great beds, beautiful rooms, and a great staff. It is also in an excellent location with many restaurants and places to shop. I had a great sleep because the beds are new and the pillows amazing! The lighting in the room is bright and ample. The negative is something that is mandated by the city and this hotel is not able to change it. They have been required to put light timers in every room! If you are not traveling alone I do not think you will have as much problem with this because someone will be moving around the room more often keeping the lights on. If you are alone you will have 8 minutes to get everything done before all the lights go off and you are left in total darkness. You will lay down to read and 8 minutes later the lights go off. They will come back on if you walk over to the door and wave in front of the timer to turn them back on every 8 minutes!!! First and foremost, this is a safety issue. I do not blame Red Roof for this problem because they have been mandated to do this when they renovated recently. I would stay here again because I had a great sleep but I would definitely bring a flashlight.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight because the lights are on a timer!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank musicfritz216
Thank you for taking the time to review our location. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team. We are currently in negotiations with corporate and the City of Lansing to see about a different lighting system for our rooms. Hopefully we will see some resolution soon! Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.