“Secret treasure from years gone by” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lakeside Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lakeside
Lakeside Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
USA
“Secret treasure from years gone by”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

We recently stayed at the Lakeside Inn. After reading a recent review I had some doubts about staying there.
Walking thru the front door I was glad that I didn't miss a chance to stay in this wonderful old Inn. Although it may not be for everyone it was perfect for us. What other Inn can you walk into and see kids and their parents sitting down playing checkers or board games togather, in a computerized world this was very refreshing to see. The Inn boastes a beautiful front porch with about 20 or 30 rocking chairs facing the lake. Walking thru the front door was like walking back into time, from the antique furniture to the rugs on the floor or the ginko leaves painted around the ceiling. It is truly charming. It is however rustic. There are televisions but no cable. But we didn't come to watch t.v. We came to spend time togather and we did on their beautiful private beach. The staff was very pleasant and the food in the cafe was great as well.
Don't let one bad review keep you from visiting this great historical Inn!! We'll be back. Hope to see you there!!!

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank Travelgirl096

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

Our experience at the Lakeside was one bad thing after another. It started when my bill was $25 more than the amount that was displayed on their site when I looked up prices specifically for our date of July 3, 2008. The unfriendly receptionist told me it was PROMINENTLY on the site, so I apparently was the problem because I missed it, even though I had looked up the price 3 separate times and missed it all 3 times. I see it now, but it is pretty easy to miss because of the way the page is designed. Why they can't get their website to display the correct pricing is beyond me and seems deliberately deceptive. This place is NOT worth $140 a night plus tax, and I would have chosen to stay somewhere else had I known that it was going to cost us that much.

Our room, #19, was small, dirty, and noisy. We couldn't sleep all night (light sleepers) because we could hear every small noise anyone surrounding us made, especially in the adjoining room next door. We tried to turn the air conditioner (an old, dirty wall unit) on to drown out the noise and cool down the room, but it rattled so loudly we had to turn it off and open the window, which had a huge crack in it and was smeared with dirty finger marks. Unfortunately, there was noise outside all night as well. The TV also didn't help, as the reception was so bad we couldn't get any stations in.

Our bedspread had three huge dark stains on it, but the bedding and towels were clean. The shower was moldy and had mold practically dripping from the shower curtain, and the sink looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. I didn't want to touch anything on the floor or in the bathroom.

On the bright side, the private beach is gorgeous and the grounds and building itself are beautiful as well. There is a nice common area in the inn with games and a TV for guests, as well as lots of reading material and coffee. The gentleman who works there at night is very sweet and friendly, unlike the woman during the day.

Too bad they don't put the same amount of care in the rooms that they do with their grounds and garden. I will never stay at this inn again and feel like they stole my money.

• Liked — grounds and beach
  • Disliked — dirty room and noise
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fbailey

Travelers are raving about these Lakeside hotels

Chicago area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2008

We just came back from 2 nights at the Lakeside Inn and enjoyed it very much. We took advantage of the free second night and are glad we did. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. We really enjoyed the fireplaces in the lobbies and the casual, relaxed atmosphere. Rooms are not fancy but they are comfortable and feel historic. They have recently revived a longstanding Arts tradition and have added a new monthly series of Art classes there, held on Saturdays and they look very interesting. They do not serve any meals in the winter, but we enjoyed our stay enough that we have decided to come back in the summer to try the restaurant out. We will return and will recommend the Inn to friends,

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ErinandChris
South Bend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

The Lakeside Inn is not for everyone, but it is a charming place nonetheless. My wife and I especially love taking advantage of their 2 for 1 offer during the winter months when Lake Michigan is just as beautiful as it is during the summer - an absolutely unspoiled stretch of the most magnficent lake in the world (having grown up in Michigan, I might be a bit biased, but not much). The rooms and facilities are spartan, but clean, and magnificent in their own way. The wonderful history of the hotel is displayed in photographs and artifacts throughout and the sauna is wonderful - and hardly used, unfortunately. The front porch offers a nice view of the lake and there are numerous places throughout the inn to chat, play games or just relax with a good book and a glass of wine. Speaking of wine, with tasting rooms, antique shops and great restaurants just around the corner, there's plenty to do..

• Liked — The history and quaintness of the Inn
  • Disliked — No breakfast service on Sunday - even though it's winter, a couple of rolls would be nice
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank RedwingsFan1
Eastern Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

We took advantage of their off-season, buy one night, get the second night free. They are dog-friendly, so we brought our dog and had a very good experience. Loved the old-fashioned atmosphere of the place and the fire in the lobby fireplace everynight. One night we took a walk on the beach and came back and warmed ourselves by the fire and drank wine. The rooms are very plain & there is little reception on the tv but we weren't really there to watch tv. We loved sitting in the rockers on the long front porch looking out at the lake. The grounds and pond in the back are beautiful and we sat near the pond reading for awhile with our dog. The breakfast was good. We will definitely return.

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Hollymi
Austin, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2007

My travel partner and I stayed four nights at the Lakeside Inn in November (not by choice, that's when our friend was getting married). We had room #28 which was spacious and had a great view of the lake. We probably had a more positive view of the place than the average traveler because most of the rooms were occupied by other wedding guests so it felt like a private party.
The pluses were: the view, proximity to the lake, stencils throughout the property, the fireplace, the rockers on the front porch, very hot water, the genuine arts& crafts touches, the rustic feel, helpful staff.
The minuses were: horrible pillows, below average bedding and blankets. unpredictable heating, mildew in the a/c vents, unrepaired water damage in the bathroom, no toiletries except for soap.

• Liked — Rustic decor, proximity to the lake
  • Disliked — Shabbiness
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank serrita
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2007

I have just returned from a two night stay at the Lakeside Inn in Lakeside Michigan. I was meeting friends who were staying in various places and I felt that I would be comfortable with something simple. Unfortunately, I found the staff unwelcoming and my room was so small that I could not believe that it could really handle two people. It was dark, drab and had an air conditioner stuck on the side of a wall in the middle of the room. Fortunately I was able to open the two small windows to get some fresh air. On top of all of this, there is an additional charge of $25.00 per night during the summer. Free coffee is provided in the morning and I must add that the sheets and towels were clean. But if you are looking for something fresh feeling..keep on looking.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — unwelcoming staff, drabness of the Inn, overrated
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Chi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo
Inn at Union Pier
Inn at Union Pier
#2 of 4 in Union Pier
Goldberry Woods Bed & Breakfast Cottages

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!