“A Place for Building Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jolli Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Leelanau
Jolli Lodge
Plymouth, Michigan
“A Place for Building Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

I have been vacationing at Jolli-Lodge for 47 years - two weeks every summer and as many weekends during the off season that we can fit into our schedule. We have made life long friends there while enjoying one of the most beautiful, serene views on the planet. It truly is a blast from the past... a safe, secluded location where our kids would play like we did when we were children and where they hope to return with their own children some day. It is family run so feels like visiting family for us each time we return. There is a history to the property that goes back to the early 1900's and owned by the current family since the 50's. If you are looking for hotel chain grade accomodations, this is not the place for you. If a few dust bunnies cause you to swoop up your children and run for more sterile environs, you may want to head back to the city or look into a resort property at twice the cost. But if you are looking for beauty, security, wineries, wonderful restaurants and bakeries, a fantastic beach for walking or just relaxing, amazing sunsets, the best biking roads right out the door, a town that has never seen a chain restaurant or hotel and the most genuine proprietors around, all at a very resonable price, then Jolli-Lodge is the place for you.

Room Tip: We have stayed in almost every unit over the years and we like each one for different reasons. If it...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Marti C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Grand Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

When you drive down the quarter mile driveway through the huge old trees and first look out on the Manitou Islands and Good Harbor Bay, you know that this is a special place. The Jolli Lodge provides family fun with tennis courts, biking, kayaks, sailing, and a beautiful beach. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park is just down the road and Leland's famed Fishtown is only 3 miles away. The wineries of Leelanau Peninsula are all right around the corner, with the Good Harbor Winery located just across the street from the Lodge.

It's easy to make new friends, since most evenings will find the lodgers gathered together to watch another spectacular sunset. Each Sunday evening the owner has a big bonfire with smores provided for anyone who wants one.

This is a wonderful "old style" family run vacation spot that feels like it came out of a time-machine. There just aren't enough places like this around any more.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Tom L
Rochester, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

I had been to the Jolli Lodge over the years. This was my 4th visit. The charm of the place and 1920's era lodge was appealing AT FIRST. Now, it is absolutely disgusting. White paint on the old lodge is flaking off and it looks shabby. We had the nicest room; Rm. 5, same one we always get and found the towels, sheets, etc...to smell musty, not clean. The bathroom that is used by all 5 rooms had smears of fecal matter/ blood on the seat still AFTER they had gone in to clean in the morning. All they did, was replace towels, a bar of soap and hang a new roll of toilet paper.

Everything was dusty in the room and one of the windows had the outside screen frame hanging off, so that insects or a small bird could get in to our room (wide enough to get a hand through). Not rustic, but falling apart. No one is doing a thorough inspection or seems to care.

The screened in porch used to be my all time favorite. It was so disgusting, I could not believe it. The door on the porch to go outside had spider webs hanging all around it and you had to walk through them to go outside. This place is infested with huge spiders. The entire screened in porch had them throughout. My husband and I counted over 60 spiders. AND when we got ready to leave, they were all over our car and had spun a web from the rear view mirror to the garage (all within 4 hours). Spiders had spun webs all around the lamp post outside the main lodge, as well. This would be a very easy fix. Take a broom and get some insecticide. It looks as if, no one is "trying".

There used to be morning Continental-style breakfast, which we were expecting (from previous visits). Apparently, they don't do that anymore - but, still charge the same. No more Thursday potlucks, either. All the things that made this place endearing have fallen by the wayside and have been replaced with complacency.

The owners are very nice people and spend their summers at the Lodge and winters in Hawaii. Seems as if they are just taking for granted or counting on their "regulars" to book the customary weekly family get-together's as has been done to buoy their business through out the years, but are not keeping up with MAINTAINING a clean, modern Lodge. The health dept. would have a field day ! More quality, please. Sadly lacking !!!

The upside, was, of course the natural beauty of the Lake MI setting and many outdoor things for kids to do. This was the first time we came with a new addition to our family, our 2 year old. I was afraid for him to touch anything in the front room, expecting a big cloud of dust to rise up upon sitting on any of the old dust mite infested furniture.

The matriarch is still doing the laundry and trying, but she is elderly and needs help. Spend the money to repair this shiny gem that has gone rusty and rickety through neglect and get some HELP that is qualified and impeccable in cleanliness, replace the old furniture with replicas. They are past their due and are not attractive anymore; but old dust bags that not even a museum would take. Pay attention to details like linens, new mattresses (without comfort, what is the point?).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Framoe
lancaster
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

We just visited Lake Leelanau for the weekend for a friend's wedding in nearby Glen Arbor, MI. The lodge has many cabins and looks perfect for families who want a fun week with the kids. You can use their kayaks, bikes, paddle boats, and beach chairs.The owners live in part of the lodge and you can access their home from a quick knock on the door. They were nice and helpful. The keys to the room are from the 1800s and it's so cool to hold that piece of history in your hand. But not everything old is so awesome.

The lodge is very rustic but has amazing views of the lake. I'm sure if you are a "roughing-it" type, you'll love this place. It's a step above camping in a camper. I think if you wanted to stay in a cabin with extended family and friends; it would be fun. But the rooms in the lodge weren't up to my standards for comfort.

The two bathrooms are shared among five rooms, which I can deal with, but they aren't really nice or large. They're very utilitarian and haven't been updated in a long time, but they aren't original. So, for me, if it isn't for historical purpose, there needs to be an upgrade. Also, there was an antique scale in the bathroom, which was in the way. It was massive and in a small area. The other smaller bathroom was a stand-up shower and a toilet. That's it. VERY NARROW, but more modern looking.

We had the worst room, which is probably why we didn't have a good stay. The other rooms had more ocean breezes and light, which made them look and smell better. We had a little fan and a tiny breeze when we opened the windows, but then we had no privacy. So our room was too hot for my hubby.

Our bed was extremely poor in quality and didn't have any support. We both felt like sleeping on the floor or in our car was a better option. There was a big spider and some other bug that I had to smash. There was a historical appeal to the building, but I expected it to be rustic and clean, not rustic and dingy.

I went to places like these as a kid and had a great time, and I wish I still could feel comfy in a place that had bugs and shared bathrooms with old towels and bedspreads, but I'm not.

Room Tip: request a room with a view of the lake, room 5 looked nice
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jrpetri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Stayed here for one night when visiting Leland and all other locations were sold out. I absolutely was stunned by the gorgeous views, beach and generosity of the owners to put out lounge chairs, kayaks, bikes for free use.

However, the lodge needs updates BADLY - I stayed in a tiny HOT room looking out straight at the parking lot ( no chance to keep the blinds/window open with 90+ degrees heat :( - just enough space f a queen sized bed, dresser and sink. All furnished items did not look antique but just badly used for the last 50 yrs without any updates. The room was not well cleaned (cob webs and spiders in the corner, dirty used bath towels on the rack in the closet from teh previous guest), the pillow was all "clumped" up - bathroom/shower in the dark hall to be shared w the 6 other rooms. Whilst I was impressed by the location and my mind started spinning about all those great opportunities this place could offer w some basic remodel and updates, I was uncomfortable in my room and glad I had to only sleep there. As it appears , they have been having mostly the same clientle for the last 20+yrs and therefore do not seem to see any improvement as necessary. No phone, TV, clocks, tissues or any other frills in the rooms - the only TV in the "Great Room" looked so outdated thaht I was wondering if it might be still in black and white. To be fair I must say, that also leland Lodge looks like they could use a face lift ( my friends stayed there) - so maybe people just do not mind when they head up North about being in comfortable and clean accomodations? Wished I could come back :(

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank Travel2Adventure
Fennville, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

A rather unexpected gem, this place was truly fantastic! The location was unbeatable right on the shores of Lake Michigan, with kayak/boating options, beach-walking, or simply enjoying an amazing sunset view. The owners and staff were honestly the nicest people we've met on any of our travels. Though they apologized for some of the older appearances in the cottages, they truly were perfect for our family of five, including the bikes and playscape for the kids. For the price, this definitely was one of the best places we've stayed!

• Stayed October 2010
9 Thank TommyHug
michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

The appeal of this place is its "old school" charm. Think "Dirty Dancing" on Lake Michigan...sort of. Okay, there are no organized activities, but the majority of the accommodations are in the form of cottages which are rented to families and groups, many who take the same week year after year. As a result, its difficult to get a cottage or house during the peak months--they are literally booked solid.

In addition to the cottages, there is the "lodge" which has about 6 rooms that are rented on a nightly basis. Each of these rooms shares a bathroom on the hall. The rooms are very cute, furnished in an old fashion style which is very appropriate to the historic nature of the lodge. The beds, however, really do leave something to be desired. Ours was very soft and I was glad that we were not staying very long.

The lodge has a large living room and screened porch, all which overlook Lake Michigan. The view is stunning. There is direct access to the lake with comfortable chaise lounges, and many lake "toys" for use (gratis)--kayaks, paddle boats, etc.

The resort is family-run and has an endearing and very personal quality to it. I did not see any of the cottages, but I did see most of the lodge rooms. I like the feel of the place very much, but I wish the Lodge were just a teeny-bit nicer cleanliness-wise. If the Lodge could be upgraded just a bit (and I don't mean a lot, I mean a bit) I would give it much higher ratings. I love the historical feel and the authentic feel very, very much. I just think it could use better beds & a tiny bit more cleaning.

Love, love, love the location and the feel of the place. Very old school.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,912 reviews
Cambria hotel & suites Traverse City
West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort
The Sylvan Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Jolli Lodge? Share your experiences!