“Hotel is decent, but had many small issues”

Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kentwood
Nashville, Tennessee
“Hotel is decent, but had many small issues”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

On the surface, this hotel is clean and seems very functional for either a short or long stay. The rooms are a nice size, with a bedroom area and a kitchen area near the door. The rooms also feature a full fridge, which is nice. All the rooms have interior entrances, and the lobby and hallways were clean and inviting. Beyond this, I did have a few concerns with my stay. One lamp in the room did not work at all. The bed did not have a blanket on it...just a fitted sheet, flat sheet and a comforter, which meant that I had to sleep directly under the comforter (which is gross, since I don't know how often they are cleaned). The bed was also VERY noisy when you sat down or moved on it. The air conditioner was very loud, and while it did a great job of keeping the room cool, it woke me up briefly every time it came on since it was so loud. I also had concerns that the hotel does not have an ice maker. When I asked the front desk rep about it, she recommended using the ice in the ice cube trays in the freezer in the room. Primarily, I don't know how often these are washed, and how sanitary the ice in the trays is when I arrive. As well, it's not feasible to fill even a small cooler with ice in this manner since it takes so long for ice to freeze. I expressed these concerns to the hotel in a survey, and was almost immediately contacted by the hotel manager, so I was impressed with the speed that my concerns were handled. On the plus side, the hotel has a small but nice grab and go breakfast (muffins, bars, fruit, coffee, tea and cocoa) and the area was very quiet and felt safe. It is near a well traveled area, but is on a side street so it wasn't very busy. Overall, the hotel wasn't terrible, but it fell short of a good rating in a few areas. All the problems I expressed are ones that could be easily remedied, so I hope that my concerns have been taken seriously to improve the hotel's guest experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank USRoadTripper
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am pleased to read your remarks about how fast your issues were handled and how you liked our hotel upon first impression. However, I am very sorry that the air conditioning unit was loud and you did not get a good nights sleep. I am also sorry that the bed did not have a blanket on it. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have followed up with the housekeepers to ensure your experience is not repeated. I will also work with the maintenance staff to fix the noisy air conditioning unit.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please contact me, at grk@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lakeview, Mi
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We checked into the hotel on a friday night, check in was a breeze and the lady that checked us in was super nice. the hotel was very clean. Our room was clean. and very big (4 people stayed). The room had free wifi and a flat screen tv. the in room kitchen was great. It was very clean minus the food that someone had left in the fridge. the beds and bedding were very nice and clean. the beds were really hard and uncomfy. our window screen had a huge hole in it and wouldnt shut all the way so we had to put a towel in it to keep the bugs out but besides that the hotel was awesome. our biggest issue was when we stayed another person/ or people had stayed with there dogs living them in the room all day and they barked until early in the morning. but besides that this hotel was great and we will defiantly stay here again.

Room Tip: we had an up stairs room... i think it really doesnt matter.. we really couldnt hear tons of noise u...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Nina - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Thank you for letting us know that there was a hole in the window's screen and that it would not close. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that we provided you with great customer service and a big room for your group to enjoy. As well, I am glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities our hotel has to offer.

Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Clean Rooms, quiet, spacious and affordable. Plus Free High Speed Internet. You are only 5 minutes away from the airport. Close to the mall and 28th Street. The rates are alot better than the competition.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We are pleased we were able to provide you with a clean and quiet stay. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room for a great value for one night while visiting Grand Rapids for my friend's bachelorette party. Front desk was very nice, check in was easy, and I was very pleased with the room. Comfortable beds, clean, and spacious. Would recommend to anyone staying for a lengthy time or just for the night

• Stayed June 2013
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property! It's great to hear that you were pleased with the cleanliness of our rooms and how friendly our staff is. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Desk clerks were friendly and nice.I appreciate that this is a no-smoking hotel. Room was basically clean and spacious with small kitchen. I do a lot of reading on PC or print so lighting is important to me and lighting was very adequate and WiFi was strong. I found a jelly bean on the carpet and dirt in the baseboard corners especially in the bathroom. We only stayed one night but if we had needed to be in the area longer I would have moved next door to the LaQinta, Breakfast provided was 'Grab and Go" and that was OK with choices of oatmeal, cereal bars, fruit, coffee and tea. Carpets outside of our room were very dirty and also in the stair well (which we chose to use instead of the elevator). Parking lot has convenient spaces near entrance doorways. With a little cleanup this place could get four stars from me.

Room Tip: Second floor is very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Carol - Thank you for your wonderful review of our property. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our guest service and the cleanliness of your room. I am also very happy that you were satisfied with the lighting and free WiFi available in your room.

Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Great value and exceeded my expectations with the room from what I thought. I had a fast and easy check in and same for check out. Overall it was excellent without complaints in any area. The rooms are a good size and excellent bathrooms that had fresh towels. I liked how clean the kitchen was and the bed was comfortable for a good night's rest.

• Stayed May 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Eric - Thank you for posting such a great review. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the size and cleanliness of our rooms. I am also very happy to hear that you had an efficient check in and check-out process.

Greenville, Michigan
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was doing an extensive search for hotels in the Grand Rapids area that was affordable, and for having a small kitchen in the room was something that I wanted in this trip. A lot of the hotels I looked at had pictures of outdated rooms with outdated bedding, but when I came across this hotel's reviews here on TA and looking through photos, I decided to give it a chance.

I had made my reservation online directly on their website, and I managed to call the hotel itself a couple times with extra questions, and upon arrival the front desk staff was very professional, kind, and welcoming. Having worked in hospitality myself, that is the first thing that I look for in visiting other hotels as staff can ruin the experience by being unprofessional the second you walk in. Not the case here. Don't be afraid to ask them questions if you have any. If management reads this review, please give my well deserved thank you and hats off to them.

Reading prior reviews I was a bit nervous about the complaints of noise levels being that many guests do tend to stay here on extended stays (hence the name of the hotel). I was worried that noise was going to be an issue. I had requested specifically online to get a top floor room away from the elevator and any vending machines if there were any nearby. I did end up getting a room next to the elevator, but after a few days into my stay I didn't really notice any noise other than the occasional beeping noise when the elevator reaches the floor. There was a slight bit of noise during the weekend, especially on Saturday but it was usually just people going back and forth from the elevators or the room across from me. It's nothing that bothered my sleep. If you're a light sleeper this may be an issue so be sure to request specifically where you'd like to be. My guess was for what I requested there wasn't another room available to meet my request, which is never a guarantee in a hotel anyway and I understand that completely.

My only one suggestion that the staff could do (and this is what I did at the hotel I worked at) was for every check in I would tell guests something like, "Your room is up on the 2nd floor about 5 doors down from the elevator on the left hand side." I got a little lost finding my room which was kinda weird for me to do, but a little direction could have helped me. It was mostly my own fault for having a dyslexic moment reading the signs though.

Now as for the room - there are some things that I liked and some things that I did not particularly care for.

The Good
The room at first glance looked great and it looked exactly as advertised in the picture. The kitchen was nice, and a full refrigerator and freezer was such an amazing thing to have. It is just a stove top, not a full oven. I really liked the carpet design and the flat screen TV was a nice addition as well. I especially loved there there was a table with 2 chairs to eat at, as well as a little wire rack closet (no doors though) at the end to hang clothes and other items. The bathroom was in good shape.

The breakfast was a nice touch.

The WiFi worked very well.

Convenient location, loved how close we were to all the amenities and I-96 to get around town.

Parking lot was well lit and did not glare through the curtains at night (which is a huge pet peeve of mine).

I saw in the pamphlet that you can bring pets here and I didn't even hear any pets if there were any staying.

The noise levels were adequate, no loud parties or screaming children running down the halls during my stay, and I stayed on a Thursday night all the week through the the next Thursday.

The Not So Good
As I mentioned before, I worked in hospitality and particularly at a hotel where we ranked #3 as the cleanest hotel in the franchise so I have very high expectations and will be very particular in my future reviews when I go into another hotel room. While the room looked good at first glance, I started to notice little things throughout my stay that bugged me and then I noticed then that my room was really not as clean as I would have preferred. I swiped my finger across the tables, on top of the mirror, TV, bathroom counter, shelves in the kitchen cupboards, and found a lot of dust. I would be concerned for someone staying at this hotel who has really bad dust allergies...make sure you bring some of your own products to clean with (which you could easily get at the Dollar Tree down the road).

Both of the bedding comforters (we had a double queen bed room) had visible stains. One looked like just a minor coffee stain which I let that go, but the other comforter had a major noticeable stain, looked like either urine or vomit stain. Understandably, I know how difficult it is to get stains out of bedding, but if I was managing a hotel and saw a stain like that on a hotel bedding, I would be throwing it out and ordering a new set. Fortunately, I bring my own sheets, pillows, and blankets, and I was going to replace all the bedding anyway which I did. So that is why I did not take it downstairs to complain about it. For those wondering about quality, it's standard bedding that most hotel chains get at common vendors, very thin and scratchy. But really, you get what you pay for. I always bring my own linens, so I was fine with it. The bed itself I thought was very comfortable, a little bit on the firm side but that's how I like it.

The curtains also needed a replacement as they were heavily soiled at the bottom and I'm not sure why, and don't know if I want to know why. Also, one of the windows did not shut properly, and the other window had the screen broken. I was surprised the windows fully open, someone could easily fall out of it...you know those stories about babies falling out of windows sometimes. I would put something in it to make the windows only open half way. Just my suggestion.

As with the most recent review, the water pressure in the showers was WAY too hard. I thought I was going to be one of those reviewers that complains how the water pressure is weak. I kind of liked it at first, but after a couple days I didn't like it as much. The other thing that really got on my nerves was the shower curtain, it would not stand still and kept blowing into the shower and touching me, which I do not like at all. Need to invest in the shower curtains that have the little magnets or whatever they put in the bottom to give it some weight.

Also as in previous reviews, the cooking hood over the stove top is not a proper cooking hood. It just blows the air right in your face, no proper ventilation. Be mindful of what you are cooking. I also wish I had the money to get a different pan because everything I cooked in the one pan that was in my room (no other cookware) everything stuck to it very badly. I didn't even bother cooking in it the rest of my stay. I know you get what you pay for, but if you advertise a kitchen in the room at least have one good working pan or skillet.

-------------------

Other Things:
The breakfast was as advertised...and I don't understand why some people here had the nerve to complain how limited the breakfast was. You're in a prime location in Grand Rapids, right on 29th street, iHop and Bob Evans are literally 5 minutes away as well as many other options around town. You even have your own kitchen to make some things. I came down for the breakfast just one of the mornings during my stay and it filled me up nicely. I think it's nice of them to even offer it.

Overall:
Despite the cleanliness issues and the shower curtain being the negative aspects of my stay, I would definitely love to stay here again next time. I have friends from the UK who come here once a year and it is nice to be conveniently close to the airport. I wish they would offer shuttle service though, and that could change my mind as to the next hotel we pick, but we will definitely keep this hotel as a contender to come back. The price was reasonable considering we stayed for 7 nights, the service was excellent, I just wish the room was cleaner and had a decent working cooking skillet.

But overall, I enjoyed my stay, and thank you for having me as a guest.

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor which seemed to be relatively quiet. A couple loud moments during the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brett K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am very pleased to read your remarks about our staff and our grab and go breakfast. However, I am very sorry that there were some cleanliness issues in your room. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have followed up with my Housekeeping staff and with our Night Laundry staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. Lastly, thank you for your suggestion for check-in. I will be sure to relay it to my Manager.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at grk@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kentwood
Comfort Inn Airport
Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids
Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids
#39 of 49 in Grand Rapids
Holiday Inn Grand Rapids - Airport

Been to Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood? Share your experiences!