“A Pleasant Stay - Quite Surprised”

Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kentwood
Greenville, Michigan
“A Pleasant Stay - Quite Surprised”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was doing an extensive search for hotels in the Grand Rapids area that was affordable, and for having a small kitchen in the room was something that I wanted in this trip. A lot of the hotels I looked at had pictures of outdated rooms with outdated bedding, but when I came across this hotel's reviews here on TA and looking through photos, I decided to give it a chance.

I had made my reservation online directly on their website, and I managed to call the hotel itself a couple times with extra questions, and upon arrival the front desk staff was very professional, kind, and welcoming. Having worked in hospitality myself, that is the first thing that I look for in visiting other hotels as staff can ruin the experience by being unprofessional the second you walk in. Not the case here. Don't be afraid to ask them questions if you have any. If management reads this review, please give my well deserved thank you and hats off to them.

Reading prior reviews I was a bit nervous about the complaints of noise levels being that many guests do tend to stay here on extended stays (hence the name of the hotel). I was worried that noise was going to be an issue. I had requested specifically online to get a top floor room away from the elevator and any vending machines if there were any nearby. I did end up getting a room next to the elevator, but after a few days into my stay I didn't really notice any noise other than the occasional beeping noise when the elevator reaches the floor. There was a slight bit of noise during the weekend, especially on Saturday but it was usually just people going back and forth from the elevators or the room across from me. It's nothing that bothered my sleep. If you're a light sleeper this may be an issue so be sure to request specifically where you'd like to be. My guess was for what I requested there wasn't another room available to meet my request, which is never a guarantee in a hotel anyway and I understand that completely.

My only one suggestion that the staff could do (and this is what I did at the hotel I worked at) was for every check in I would tell guests something like, "Your room is up on the 2nd floor about 5 doors down from the elevator on the left hand side." I got a little lost finding my room which was kinda weird for me to do, but a little direction could have helped me. It was mostly my own fault for having a dyslexic moment reading the signs though.

Now as for the room - there are some things that I liked and some things that I did not particularly care for.

The Good
The room at first glance looked great and it looked exactly as advertised in the picture. The kitchen was nice, and a full refrigerator and freezer was such an amazing thing to have. It is just a stove top, not a full oven. I really liked the carpet design and the flat screen TV was a nice addition as well. I especially loved there there was a table with 2 chairs to eat at, as well as a little wire rack closet (no doors though) at the end to hang clothes and other items. The bathroom was in good shape.

The breakfast was a nice touch.

The WiFi worked very well.

Convenient location, loved how close we were to all the amenities and I-96 to get around town.

Parking lot was well lit and did not glare through the curtains at night (which is a huge pet peeve of mine).

I saw in the pamphlet that you can bring pets here and I didn't even hear any pets if there were any staying.

The noise levels were adequate, no loud parties or screaming children running down the halls during my stay, and I stayed on a Thursday night all the week through the the next Thursday.

The Not So Good
As I mentioned before, I worked in hospitality and particularly at a hotel where we ranked #3 as the cleanest hotel in the franchise so I have very high expectations and will be very particular in my future reviews when I go into another hotel room. While the room looked good at first glance, I started to notice little things throughout my stay that bugged me and then I noticed then that my room was really not as clean as I would have preferred. I swiped my finger across the tables, on top of the mirror, TV, bathroom counter, shelves in the kitchen cupboards, and found a lot of dust. I would be concerned for someone staying at this hotel who has really bad dust allergies...make sure you bring some of your own products to clean with (which you could easily get at the Dollar Tree down the road).

Both of the bedding comforters (we had a double queen bed room) had visible stains. One looked like just a minor coffee stain which I let that go, but the other comforter had a major noticeable stain, looked like either urine or vomit stain. Understandably, I know how difficult it is to get stains out of bedding, but if I was managing a hotel and saw a stain like that on a hotel bedding, I would be throwing it out and ordering a new set. Fortunately, I bring my own sheets, pillows, and blankets, and I was going to replace all the bedding anyway which I did. So that is why I did not take it downstairs to complain about it. For those wondering about quality, it's standard bedding that most hotel chains get at common vendors, very thin and scratchy. But really, you get what you pay for. I always bring my own linens, so I was fine with it. The bed itself I thought was very comfortable, a little bit on the firm side but that's how I like it.

The curtains also needed a replacement as they were heavily soiled at the bottom and I'm not sure why, and don't know if I want to know why. Also, one of the windows did not shut properly, and the other window had the screen broken. I was surprised the windows fully open, someone could easily fall out of it...you know those stories about babies falling out of windows sometimes. I would put something in it to make the windows only open half way. Just my suggestion.

As with the most recent review, the water pressure in the showers was WAY too hard. I thought I was going to be one of those reviewers that complains how the water pressure is weak. I kind of liked it at first, but after a couple days I didn't like it as much. The other thing that really got on my nerves was the shower curtain, it would not stand still and kept blowing into the shower and touching me, which I do not like at all. Need to invest in the shower curtains that have the little magnets or whatever they put in the bottom to give it some weight.

Also as in previous reviews, the cooking hood over the stove top is not a proper cooking hood. It just blows the air right in your face, no proper ventilation. Be mindful of what you are cooking. I also wish I had the money to get a different pan because everything I cooked in the one pan that was in my room (no other cookware) everything stuck to it very badly. I didn't even bother cooking in it the rest of my stay. I know you get what you pay for, but if you advertise a kitchen in the room at least have one good working pan or skillet.

-------------------

Other Things:
The breakfast was as advertised...and I don't understand why some people here had the nerve to complain how limited the breakfast was. You're in a prime location in Grand Rapids, right on 29th street, iHop and Bob Evans are literally 5 minutes away as well as many other options around town. You even have your own kitchen to make some things. I came down for the breakfast just one of the mornings during my stay and it filled me up nicely. I think it's nice of them to even offer it.

Overall:
Despite the cleanliness issues and the shower curtain being the negative aspects of my stay, I would definitely love to stay here again next time. I have friends from the UK who come here once a year and it is nice to be conveniently close to the airport. I wish they would offer shuttle service though, and that could change my mind as to the next hotel we pick, but we will definitely keep this hotel as a contender to come back. The price was reasonable considering we stayed for 7 nights, the service was excellent, I just wish the room was cleaner and had a decent working cooking skillet.

But overall, I enjoyed my stay, and thank you for having me as a guest.

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor which seemed to be relatively quiet. A couple loud moments during the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brett K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am very pleased to read your remarks about our staff and our grab and go breakfast. However, I am very sorry that there were some cleanliness issues in your room. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have followed up with my Housekeeping staff and with our Night Laundry staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. Lastly, thank you for your suggestion for check-in. I will be sure to relay it to my Manager.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at grk@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Traverse City, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Was staying in grand rapids for a quick night on the way tool somewhere else. Got this hotel for cheap on Hotwire. While it is nothing fancy, everything was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly. The grab and go breakfast, is just coffee and granola bars and packaged muffins and such, so don't expect anything fancy. The location is good, close to the expressway and many restaurant choices. My only complaint would be the shower that pelted me so hard I got little broken blood vessel spots all over....This hotel is designed for extended stays (thus the name) so it also has a full size fridge and a mini stove and sink.

• Stayed April 2013
HM-ESA, Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that the issues with the shower. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am having my maintenance engineer inspect and replace any shower heads with this issue. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at grk@extendedstay.com. Thank you for staying with us and for the positive comments about our hotel. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I really enjoyed staying here on a recent trip to the area.

There is one thing I wish could have been different and it is not something you could lay blame on anyone, it is what it is....I think...

When you are staying in an Extended Stay hotel, of any kind, for a business trip, you need to remember that most everyone else is staying there longer term.

So in a nut shell, when the bars close, and everyone comes back, they are not thinking Motel, they are thinking Apartment, and pretty loud in the hallways....

Maybe grouping rooms by length of stay, for example, placing 1-2 day stays on the top floor away from the long term folks?

Otherwise, the staff was great and the rooms clean, water hot and the bed was super comfortable!!

Room Tip: Ear plugs on the first floor!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HM-ESA, Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

It is my pleasure to provide an explanation regarding the issue you described. Every part of our hotel, from the in-room features, to the design of our guest corridors, to the personalized voicemail, is an integral part to creating a "home away from home" experience for our guests. Since we recognize that a quiet, relaxing environment is critical to this goal, we have several systems to ensure that noise from within or outside the hotel doesn't interfere with your stay. Although rare, there are instances where a guest may hear noises from the surrounding area. Whenever we are informed of such disturbances, our standard operating procedure is to promptly identify the source of that disturbance and resolve it. I take full responsibility that we were unable to resolve this situation to your satisfaction during your stay.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The young girl that checked us in wasn't the friendliest, but wasn't rude. She didn't mention anything about the 'breakfast', which shouldn't be called a breakfast on deal websites which we booked through, as its very misleading.
Everything about the place was average. If you needed a place to stay with a kitchen it maybe worth it, but not for a night stop over and if you want an actual breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HM-ESA, Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies.

We know that you have several lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide you with a great room at a great rate, while still giving you something extra, like our expanded coffee bar. I do certainly recognize, however, that if you are looking for a full breakfast, our coffee bar won't satisfy you. I sincerely wish we had been better able to communicate exactly what our morning service includes so that you would not have been disappointed.

Columbus OH
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've stayed at one other Extended Stay America (Novi) and loved it. This one didn't quite match up. The staff was wonderful . . . even let me check in early. But the room was a far cry from the other Extended Stay hotel. The kitchen area was extremely small, making it nearly impossible to cook or even wash the dishes. The fan over the stove blew the "vented" air right into your face, not out . . . so the room never lost the smell of whatever I cooked. The bed was so hard, I could have been sleeping on the floor . . . and the only blanket was a stiff, acrylic cover. The refrigerator constantly hummed, and the bathroom had a light/fan combination so you couldn't keep the bathroom light on at night. Couldn't regulate the heat or air in the room . . . no matter what I set it on, it was way too hot . . . even with the window open. I was very disappointed considering how nice the Novi hotel was.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HM-ESA, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that the fan over the stove was inadequitte. We are also sorry that we were not able to get into your room to change out the heating and cooling unit. In response to your feedback, I am making sure that we are taking care of any heating/cooling issues that is brought to our attention. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at grk@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Tom the manager is so very polite and profesional very easy to deal with and so willing to help, He is an asset to Extended Stay. Amanda the assistant manager, is very plesent, a joy to see, she always has a great smile and never has a bad thing to say about anyone. Amanda looks very neat and has a great appearance also if you need to find a place or go somewhere, she is always willing to help. Amanda is an asset to your company. Those things mean a lot to travelers, Joe the maintenance man, is such a very nice man, he always says helo and if you need anything fixe he is thee right now and willing to help, we enjoyed our stay and the staff makes it a enjoyable stay. Tosh is the sweetest young desk clerk that we have seen in a while she is a pleasure to see. Your whole staff was great to us. The rooms are clean and fresh. Thank you for a very nice stay at Extended Stay America--Grand Rapids, Kentwood.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HM-ESA, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, November 15, 2012

Kentwood, Michigan
Reviewed November 5, 2012

When we moved in the city we stayed in this hotel for almost a week. It was very close to all restaurants and Centerpointe mall making it very convenient. Since you have a kitchen at your disposal along with the essential utensils you also have the option to cook. The room was very cosy and the staff friendly. We got two keys for Me and my husband. I misplaced mine during the stay and the hotel staff were very kind and didn't charge us for it.
It works out beneficial if you stay for a week or more as you get lower room rates.

Room Tip: Works out more reasonable for a longer stay (a week or more)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HM-ESA, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood, responded to this review, November 6, 2012

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kentwood
Comfort Inn Airport
Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids
Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids
#39 of 49 in Grand Rapids
Holiday Inn Grand Rapids - Airport

Been to Extended Stay America - Grand Rapids - Kentwood? Share your experiences!