“Glorified motel.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Baymont Inn & Suites Kalamazoo East

You added Baymont Inn & Suites Kalamazoo East to your Saves list
Baymont Inn & Suites Kalamazoo East
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3800 East Cork Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49001 (Formerly Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
“Glorified motel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had higher expectations for this hotel based on my past experiences with Fairfield. Unfortunately, I should have done my research to find out that it's basically a motel on floors 1/2 and a hotel on floor 3. I was originally booked in a room on floor 1, but with cars and people coming and going, I switched to the third floor. The third floor is much more common for a hotel room in this tier It's pretty clean on a whole, but the sketchy motel feel will prevent me from coming back.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I expected more; as others noted, this looks like a former motel. Public areas could use a good cleaning, and the exterior is second rate. The room and bathroom was small but quite clean. Beds and pillows were comfy. The frig was a good size. Staff was attentive to needs except the breakfast team who left their area messy and poorly tended.

Room Tip: Choose a third floor room with interior hallway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Independence, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

It looks like it was formerly a motel. I was surprised that the bottom 2 floors of rooms were actually accessed from outside. The 3rd floor does have rooms that are accessed from the inside. But, it is a "nice" motel. The rooms were a little small and in the typical layout of motel rooms. But the furnishings were nice, everything was well maintained, and everything worked well. There was also a microwave and frig in the room. The frig was rather large for a motel room. Housekeeping did as good of a job as you will see at any good hotel.

The internet was decent. It was reliably available, but not as fast as I would have liked.

The staff was great. They were very helpful and courteous.

The breakfast was a little more than the average Fairfield. There were biscuits, sausage gravy, and sausage links every morning. That was in addition to the standard waffles, juices, coffee and bagels that you see in every Fairfield. What surprised me the most was dinner. On Monday through Friday they have dinner catered. I believe the schedule is Hooters on Monday, Lebanese (?) food on Tuesdays, italian on Wednesday and chinese on Thursdays. It was actually pretty good food.

Considering the rate was so good, it was way better than I expected. I would stay there again, especially if I was paying for it. The only reason I did not give the highest score is that it is a motel. I much prefer inside access to my room. Although the doors were very heavy and felt secure.

Room Tip: If you want inside access, get a room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
south carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Very nice,clean and friendly hotel. The staff was very nice upon arriving and helpful with all my questions, breakfast was great alot more than your normal continental breakfast. Bed was comfortable, and room was clean. I will stay here again the next time I am in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Driving up to the hotel I thought, "Wow, there are still hotels with outside entrance-ways?" My initial impression was pretty negative, but I left pretty satisfied. I was on the second floor, and did not encounter any problems with noise. My room was cleaned every day, the bed was comfortable, shower, A/C, and appliances worked well, and the room was very clean in general. My only complaint was the ancient TV, but it still worked! The pool area was well kept and enjoyable, and the fitness room was surprisingly good and bigger than most I have seen. I did not utilize the free breakfast, but my parents did and said it was fine. Desk staff weren't overly friendly but were hospitable nonetheless. Location is pretty bad, with no real restaurants, bars, or even convenience stores within walking distance, although it is extremely accessible to the airport and highway. Overall I was happy with my stay, but wished there was a bit more to the surrounding area.

Room Tip: I imagine the rooms on the second floor are quieter than on the first floor due to cars driving up a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Emma D
Clarkston, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My room is very small. It is an old Fairfield. It is not in the best area. There were 4 trucks outside my door last night changing tires in the parking lot. It is not up to Marriott standards.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cresskill, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place was a total disappointment. Very outdated decor. Outside corridors meant that there was constant traffic outside our door. Front desk staff was more interested in chatting than helping. They made a big deal on check-in that they had free Chinese food out in the lounge, but we found nothing except empty dishes. They told us they were sending out for pizzas, but we saw none. Breakfast was a free-for-all with no room to sit and dirty plates tumbling out of the garbage cans. We raced out for dinner so only quickly checked out the room, but when we returned from dinner we discovered dirty footprints all over the bathroom floor, which we cleaned up ourselves, since the front desk made no attempt to remedy, explaining that the maid probably walked over the damp floor after she cleaned it.Air conditioner not effective. We stayed for 2 nights (family visit), only because there were no other rooms to be had, and the 2nd day the bathroom was cleaner. There was a ton of furniture crammed into the room, which made it uncomfortable. It is not in a great area. Just not Marriott standard - felt like it was run by a bunch of kids with no training in hospitality.

Room Tip: High up, back from parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple