“My first choice for Kalamazoo”

Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We used to stay downtown at the Radisson, which is a nice place, but it's too expensive for repeat visits. I chose the Holiday Inn for its location, since we were touring Western Michigan University. Now that my son will begin there in the fall, I plan to return to this hotel for the rest of my visits. The staff was friendly and helpful at all times, and this is the ONLY hotel that has ever had a feather-free room available when we arrived. I loved the pillows, towels, and toiletries.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed March 27, 2010

We chose this Holiday Inn because it was close to a hockey arena that my 9 year old
had a hockey tournament at. We ended up with a couple extra children staying in our room. The hotel was booked so the front desk got us a rollaway bed and waived the extra charge. The place is kid heaven with a large pool, arcade room, pool table, ping pong table, and a basketball game. And none of the staff seemed put out by all of the kids running to the front desk for more quarters. The room was comfortable, beds were pillow tops with great bedding. Very family oriented.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2010

1)Cost: Had to stay here because our hockey tournament required it. Cost was $ 120 / night where as others were 79 to 89 a night for the same amenities. Will not play at this tournament again.
2)Called to confirm in advance that all of our families were together. Were told they were. When we got there one family was moved to the 3rd floor and only had a king size bed to sleep on for a family of three. Hotel refused to do anything.
3)Everyone required to wear stupid looking wristbands the entire weekend to use the pool. For 120 a night? Other hotels in the area don't have this ridiculous requirement.
4)Don't plan on eating in the hotel restaurant friday or saturday nights. They get slammed and the service/kitchen is very slow.
5)Started alphabetically to place families around pool. People with last names beginning with s-z were left on outside rooms. Can't a hotel mix it up and sometimes start Z and go to A ? Probably too difficult for this management team.
6)Our last game wasn't til Sunday at 2pm. Check out is normally 11. Called down to the front desk Saturday to see if we can get an hour or two later checkout. First told, you need to call back in the morning to check with the cleaning crew. (I didn't know the cleaning crew ran the hotel? ) So Called down Sunday morning. Told we could stay until 1pm. Other families called down and were told we could stay until Noon. Others were told they couldn't stay. So which is it? Depends on who you get at the front desk because the managment team has no process in place for these questions. Better yet, ask a maid, they seem to run the show.
7)Pool is setup for kids. Kids will be kicked out at 10:00pm. The gestopo, runs around at 10:30pm to make sure no kids are playing any games outside of the pool. (they have foosball, ping pong and basketball shooting.) The ligts in the pool area are shut off at midnight. (this wasn't a problem for us, but may be for some, if your talking with family and hanging out in the common area etc.).

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed February 27, 2010

This was host hotel for Cereal City gymnastics meet. I was impressed with the quality of the rooms. They were clean, with nice modern decor. The restaurant/bar on premises was a nice bonus. I was very disappointed by the pool area. The chemicals were very strong and the sides were green. Someone had a hose between the hot tub and pool...I was assuming to transfer hot water to the freezing cold pool. I had forgotten my shampoo and conditioner and asked the desk for an additional set. They said they would have housekeeping get it to me...they never brought. Oh well, my husband and two boys used the soap while I drained the little bottles. Great hotel if you don't want to swim. Be prepared to sign waiver that you will keep your children quiet!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2010

We enjoyed our overnight stay at the Holiday Inn last weekend. We took advantage of the pool, arcade, foosball table, restaurant, wireless internet, workout room and hot tub. The pool water was a bit chilly and murky, but there were tons of kids in and out of it all weekend. There were boys' hockey tournament games in the area, so there were alot of families with kids everywhere. It had a family resort kind of feel....a great place for our family on Valentines' Day. The staff at check in and in the restaurant were commendable. The room was perfect for us and we look forward to visiting again. Thanks for the great experience!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2010

This hotel’s management reads tripadvisor reviews & responds to them. I appreciate the fact that they do that. Hopefully after hearing how annoying “Adult Swim Hour” is from many customers….they will actually do something about it! I doubt it, but here are my two cents worth…..

The first thing is the “amenity” of “Adults Only Quiet Hour” from 10:30-11:30 pm. All children are kicked out of the kids play area, pool and computer room so that adults can frolic. Normally, I can see that. But this is such a kid-friendly hotel, and it seems so random to have all these pool-side rooms (with large windows facing the pool)….and to allow drunken adults to have an hour of “quiet time” in the pool and hot tub area. Note to hotel management: what exactly do you think the adults are doing in the hot tub during adult swim? As I mentioned earlier…the rooms face that area and have big windows for everyone to watch. Gross! This adult hour is a bad idea, I feel.

This hotel was overall really good & I would stay there again. The beds and pillows are comfy. The beds are really tiny though. They are supposedly queen sized, but I think they’re a lot shorter than a queen size. I’m only 5’7”, and they were almost too small for me. The TV sets are flat & big….awesome! The rooms and hotel were very clean.

The kids’ activities are great. They had foosball, pool, ping pong and a big pool. The pool, although big, was pretty gross. The water was so murky that I literally could not see my feet at the shallow (3’) end! It was really cloudy and there was a rust build-up all over. In the websites photos, the pool is clear. In person, it didn’t look that way and it was really cold. I was the only adult who ventured into it! All the other adults thought it was gross and cold.

The $9 breakfast buffet was okay at best. It should have been priced at about $4-5 and that would have been fair I think. It was just very standard, bland stuff (lumpy tasteless oatmeal, under ripe fruit, pop tarts, bagels) and some decent stuff (bacon, sausage, hash browns, biscuits & gravy).

I would recommend a poolside room, for easy access to the Holidome area. Also, you can get ski packages and other deals directly at the hotels website.

One more suggestion for management….the Entrance sign is very difficult to see! It’s so tiny. I drove right by it. The hotel next door has a huge sign and yours is a postage stamp size! You need a new sign!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2010

enjoyed the meal at the restaurant, room nice clean, used the computer room free,

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
ateske, Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2010

I am so glad you enjoyed our pool!
The next time you're in town, please contact the Guest Services Manager personally for a 10% off discount on your next room.

We appreicate your feedback. Hope to see you soon.

Management