WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West

Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent value in a good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

The Holiday Inn Kalamazoo West has to be the cleanest Holiday Inn in North America. The Executive King room is spacious, well appointed and everything worked properly. A small gift bag at the front desk started me off, my room was ready ahead of time. The hotel's free WiFi access worked flawlessly while I was there - no dropouts, no re-login requirements - it just worked and speed was good (which means I can get off the computer faster). The restaurant is passable - a typical mid-western sort of '70s booth & table throwback, with heavy wood and brass and vinyl upholstered seating, that was built so well it just won't wear out (except for some of the vinyl seating that is). Anyway, ignore the decor because the food is fresh and the breakfast buffet has lots of selections. The front desk staff is cheerful, professional and well-informed.

Room Tip: My main floor room (#132) at the end of the hall was very, very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jdonaldson2747, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Holiday Inn West in Kalamazoo Michigan. We are so pleased to hear about your pleasant experience. I will be sure to pass along your great comments to our housekeeping staff about the cleanliness of your room. We look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

What a great place to stay. I booked my stay with Rewards Points and was not disappointed. Very spacious room, surprised by the friendliness of the front desk staff, goody bag upon check-in, and the complimentary appetizers and drinks poolside for Priority Reward members. I cannot say enough about the staff. Vanessa, who handled the Priority Club Reception was outstanding. She took the time to greet guests that came by for a bite and sat down and chatted. This was different than other places because she actually seemed to care and enjoy the conversation. They remodeled the pool area and it is so nice. Good job, Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have a dog staying in the next room. I'm a dog lover and I own...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jdonaldson2747, Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn West. I am so excited to hear about your experience at our Priority Club reception. I have already shared with Vanessa what a wonderful job she did at hosting our reception for the evening. I am thrilled to have her on our team. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.
Guilderland, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Even though I had spent time in this hotel's restaurant and bar previously, I did read reviews on TripAdvisor. My wife who has asthma so we always check our room before moving in and found it clean and comfortable although I should have brought my own pillow:). Even though I read that the property was old and needed updating, we both found it quite attractive including the lobby, the swimming area as well as the room. Though we traveled alone(Couples), we did bring two of our grandchildren to swim thus the marking "Family" and I must say the pool area is large with a game room, many seating areas.
I made reservations on-line, checked in quickly and was provided with $40.00 worth of certificates for being a Priority Club member that I used happily in the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn West in Kalamazoo, MI. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We love our Priority Club members and I am pleased that you were able to enjoy some of the 'perks' that we have for our members. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Iowa City, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I am pretty disappointed with the Holiday Inn Kalamazoo, because not only did I have a negative experience, but my review was never posted through their main site (sent in over 10 days ago).

I was very pleased with the hotel staff. They were kind upon my arrival, and after 2 months straight of staying in Holiday Inns around the nation, I was pleasantly surprised with the benefits for Priority Club members (discounts, guest bag, recognition).

However, after unpacking in my first room, I found 3 large bugs in it! They were over an inch long! I killed one, but got really grossed out! I went to the front and asked to be moved. The front desk was accommodating, but didn't seem to be surprised.

The next room I moved to faced the pool (kind of loud). I was a bit disappointed being downgraded from a king to a double, but it was fine since the other room had bugs.

However, in this room, I ate a granola bar and put the wrapper on my bedside table. Less than an hour later it was FILLED with ants. There were even ants in the bed. I told the front desk this the next morning (slept in the other double bed), and they said they'd take care of it. When I got back though, there were dead ants in my bed. YUCK!

The hotel needs to be checked for bugs. I couldn't sleep and felt like my skin was crawling. Very disappointed, Holiday Inn!

Room Tip: Outdoor facing room had big bugs, indoor facing room had ants
1 Thank Stephanie G
jdonaldson2747, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to find that our staff was friendly and accomidating to you. I am also happy that you enjoyed our benefits for our Priority Club members. We really value our guests and want them to feel that way.
Please accept my apology for the bugs that you found in your room. It is not acceptable for us and not the expection that we have for our guests. Please know that we do work closely with a local pest control agency and we will continue to work closely with them to assure that this does not happen again in the future.
Thank you again for staying with us. I do hope that you may give us a second chance to have a great experience here at our hotel.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Another Holiday Inn that needs to be updated. Tried to book the hotel directly and I was told they did not have any rooms available. When I tried the 800 number I was told they had plenty of rooms available. The girl at the front desk had issues with the check in since her computer kept locking up. The television did not work properly due to some loose wires and I was given a different type of room then I was told during the reservation and check-in process. Wow I was worried that this was the beginning of a perfect storm. The carpet was stained but at least the bed was clean. At least the night ended with a good nights sleep and I left early in the morning before anything else could go wrong.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Toddamy,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We are pleased you had a good nights sleep during your visit to our hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the reservation services may have caused you at check in as well as room amenities. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you for staying with us, and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Holiday Inn West is a little out of the way. There's nothing close by or within walking distance. If you don't have a car then there is a free shuttle bus that will take you places - just book it a little in advance. The rooms are clean and generally well equipped. The beds are large and comfortable (with silly little pillows as another reviewer already mentioned). The bathrooms are spacious with a hot and powerful shower. Nice linen and towels.

But some things they could do better here

1) The rooms are hot! Really hot! And the air conditioning units are very very noisy.
2) No opening windows (on either poolside or outside, so the rooms are very stuffy). Bring ear plugs if noise keeps you awake, poolside can be noisy for obvious reasons. Or just because of the griding of the air con unit
3) Proper coffee in the rooms is always nice to have, but please put milk (even UHT) rather than the non dairy creamer sachets. It would be nice (and better on the environment too) to have china rather than disposible polystyrene cups as well.

The gym is just passable, a few bits of cardio kit and some weights. Could do with more space for more stuff. Then it would be really good. Seems a shame as there is so much spare space around the area. Definintely worth thinking about spreading the area out into the empty space around it? I would have used it more except each time I went both running machines were busy. The pool is nice, a little cool but not cold - there is a quiet, adult only evening swim which is very nice.

Burdicks bar is welcoming and very comfortable for a woman travelling on business alone. The food is OK, not very inspiring there are better places in Kalamazoo, but if you just want a glass of wine and a burger it's absolutely fine. Vegetarians (like me) will not have much choice, but the veggie sandwich with portabello mushrooms is very good. The hotel breakfast seemed much improved on a previous review, although I only really ate cereal and fruit. All the other options seemed available and of good quality. Nice to see lots of healthy choices at breakfast too.

The team here are excellent, I felt very well looked after :-)

Room Tip: Poolside can be noisy
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jdonaldson2747, Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
We want to thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn West in Kalamazoo. Thank you so much for the suggestions that you have for us. Your suggestions were so helpful and we are looking into how we can improve in these areas. We are so pleased to hear that you were well taken care of from the staff. We certainly hope that you will visit us again soon!
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here the night of September 8th. We were in town to see the Western football game. The room was clean and quiet. The only complaint was that our wake up call never came through. Luckily we did wake up on our own on time.
We had a late night snack at the bar after the game which was not too impressive. it was pretty crowded and too bad they didn't open up more of the restaurant to accommodate the crowd. The food was not all that great.

Room Tip: From previous experience - room on the inner wall, next to the pool smelled of chlorine
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jdonaldson2747, Manager at Holiday Inn Kalamazoo-West, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Holiday Inn West, in Kalamazoo. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We can't wait until you visit us again.