“disrespectful maids, parties in the hallways, stolen stuff”

Baymont Inn & Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
New York City, New York
“disrespectful maids, parties in the hallways, stolen stuff”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This hotel used to be one of my favorites before the new management. It is managed very poorly now, several people including me had our stuff stolen ( and they just say they are not responsible for lost or stolen items). They have some maids very disrespectful! There was a party in the hallway till 4:30 am, people (looked underaged) doing jello shots and being very loud. Several of us complained, nothing was done. You barely see anyone at the front desk anymore. It is just soaring into a low quality motel. If you get a cheap rate below 40$ it might worth staying otherwise it definitley is over priced for their regular rates. The rooms look ok. and there is breakfast but you have to watch for your stuff and be ready to be yelled at by the manager if you complain too much..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 615jessy123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We were so pleasantly surprised during both of our stays! First of all, they are pet-friendly and only charge $10, so our cat Mr. Felix was very happy! The hotel has great rates in general, it's quiet and very nice, which put us at ease and guaranteed a very comfy stay. Mattresses are good and everything is up-to-date and the rooms are spacious and well-equipped. As a complimentary service front staff will help you in case you forgot a smaller toiletry item such as your toothbrush, comb, etc. We asked for a room with two beds, which was one of those that has a connecting door to an adjacent room. Since it was possible the lovely Sakeena from the reception did her best to place us in a room with no other occupants next door. Rates are reasonable and everything is clean. The hotel is welcoming and the staff is genuinely helpful and very accomodating. On our next roadtrip through Michigan we will try and stay here again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank naudubon
Windsor
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at this property. My first time ever staying at a Baymont and will return to one in the near future. The room was very clean but the bathroom could have used a bit more attention from the housekeeping staff. My room did have adjoining doors to another room and I thought for sure that was going to be an issue. However, I did not hear one thing from that room late in the evening. My only complaint would be is that you could hear a lot of water running from other rooms. I will stay here again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Casinoboy
Durand, Michigan
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I really love the new tile that has been put into the rooms. I stayed at this hotel the beginning of this year and when I just came back I noticed they had done some renovations. Just wanted to say how great it looks and thanks again as always for such a wonderful stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Karly K
Bremen, Indiana
Reviewed October 31, 2011

for the price, the room was good. it did smell like smoke, and upon check-out I informed them so that I wouldn't get blamed, and was given a 20% discount. The staff was very friendly, and actually for the hotel being booked, it was VERY QUIET!

Room Tip: book through priceline and quote your price! got the room for $45.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank debbiemac25
Michigan
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed at the Baymont on 11th Ave. for the first time this weekend. I usually pick a little higher end hotel when we travel to Kalmazoo ( which we do frequently as our daughter is in school there - Go Western!). Because it was the WMU vs. CMU game this past weekend everyone was pretty full so I went with Baymont.
I wasn't expecting too much as the previous reviews were spotty but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was quiet, clean and very comfortable. Even though we were on the first floor and opened the window overnight for a little fresh air, the parking lot, hotel and patrons were quiet. I was expecting some noise as it is traditionally such a party weekend - but nothing. We did not have the breakfast, though lots of people were there when I went to get coffee, so I cannot comment on that. Overall, it was a very good experience and would definitely consider adding this hotel to my short list of good places to stay in Kalamazoo!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank seela
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Booked this hotel at the last minute while traveling through MI as we weren't sure how far we'd drive that day. Thought it had a pool but it didn't-my fault for not checking closely. Stayed one night. Room was small but adequate. Was clean and bed comfortable. The desk lamp had an outlet on it for plugging in a computer. Only after my battery was nearly drained was it apparent that that outlet didn't work. To plug in the computer one had to unplug the lamp to use the wall outlet-not so great after dark. Ice machine on our floor also did not work. Free breakfast-opened jam packet and it was like congealed glue-yuk! Tub drained slowly.

All issues were told to management when we checked out. He did not seem to be surprised about the desk lamp. The "repair" to the ice machine was an "out of order" sign. Said the jam was freshly delivered (then he's getting a bum deal from his supplier!).

Stay wasn't awful but won't be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple