“Hotel needs updating, but comfortable and good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of AmericInn Hotel & Suites Kalamazoo

AmericInn Hotel & Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Lansing, MI
“Hotel needs updating, but comfortable and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were in town for a lacrosse tournament and I think I got the last hotel room in the Kalamzoo area. It was by fluke that I ended up BACK at this hotel's website...they must not have been showing availability the first time. I believe this is an old Hampton Inn, as the layout and rooms looked as such. The staff was always friendly and accomodating, from when I called in advance with special room requests (the associate I spoke with "assigned" us to a specific room that faced the quieter back, on the third floor, and had always been a non-smoking room), to "welcoming" us back from our games, to having to cancel the un-needed (read, we lost our last game) second second night's stay. (When I made the reservation, interestingly the website only allowed me to book it for 2 consecuitve nights.) Rooms were very bland in their decor, but clean and comfortable. One major plus here (like most Hampton's, I think) was having 2 QUEEN beds, rather than doubles. My wife and I have a king bed, and once you're used to that kind of real estate, going to a double (when you've got the kids with you in the other bed) is never comfortable. At least with a queen bed, we can still have our own space! Complimentary breakfast buffet was as expected quality-wise, but it was plentiful and offered a lot of choices, hot and cold--even cottage cheese, which I don't think you usually find in these types of free breakfasts. The kids always like it anyway (esp the waffle maker); I just like that it's included, that it's right there, and that I can grab some cereal and milk, a piece of fruit, and a cup of coffee. Indoor pool was fine for the kids too. Overall, a fair rate (about ($90 with AAA) for a very pleasant stay at a well-run hotel.

Room Tip: As others have mentioned, the front faces busy I94. Reqeust a room facing the back for a little mor...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dover, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed here at the end of June for two nights while attending a graduation party. The rooms were nice. It was advertised as a grand opening special rate but the hotel wasn't new. Still it was clean and we were satisfied with the rate. I thought the breakfast was nice. Waffles are always a favorite with my son. Nice selection of pastries fruit and cereals. The hotel isn't very sound proof. My sister had a room over the lobby area and could hear the employees sitting outside on a bench talking all night. When she told her husband where the noise was coming from they turned on the bench and looked up at her room. Windows were closed and she wasn't speaking loudly. All in all it was a good value.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We got a package deal for the hotel and Air Zoo at a wonderful price. We where a bit hesitant to stay because of some of the reviews. We where very happy that we did because the hotel was wonderful. The rooms where updated, and clean. The staff where over the top helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good. A nice variety for being free. We would absolutely return AND recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012
Midland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Great customer service from time of reservation thru checkout. Stayed for a short night prior to soccer tourney at Loy Norrix. Super location for events there and very easy access from I-94. Rooms up to date, however thought bed was a bit soft for my liking and shower/tub seems smaller than average.. Breakfast was fair.

• Stayed April 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I travel on business weekly. I enjoy the cleanliness and overall value offered by most Hampton Inns. This property however could benefit from being updated. It also is very noisy, with half of the rooms facing the highway.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Debbie898
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

The room was clean and updated. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good and had a variety to choose from. The only negative was the pool seemed to have too much clorine for us. Thanks for the nice stay

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank funinthesunx3
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

This is one of the older Hampton Inns and it might have been updated but it is still in need of some TLC. The bed is a little too soft for me-pretty much like a marshmallow-I woke up three mornings in a row with a backache. Relatively quiet and the hotel personnel are competent and do know the area to make some decent recommendations for restaurants.

Room Tip: Stay to the back side of the hotel to keep the interstate noise to a minimum-might still hear some b...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business