“Ok for us, but I can understand other reviews”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Burlington, IA
“Ok for us, but I can understand other reviews”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We typically don't stay at 1 star hotels such as Econo Lodge, Motel 6, and etc. We generally stay at 2 star locations. So for under $60 I wasn't expecting a lot. We did have a large, clean (but dated and worn) room. The bathroom/shower/toilet area really looked worn with poor grout and stained areas. The beds were comfortable and sheets average. The outdoor pool was large and water clear. There did seem to be an extremely large number of locals in the pool...friends of employees or something similar I assume. Breakfast was the definition of basic...two cereal choices, toast, no fruit, coffee/milk/juice. The facility is showing its age- parking lot and steps in need of repair, ice machine filters were dated May of 2012....probably need serviced! Staff was friendly and welcoming- a big plus. As I said it was under $60 for our family so overall a good value, just don't expect Hampton quality.

Room Tip: If you have kids make sure they know it as you may get a larger room. No elevator and there are two...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank readittoday

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Rockingham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The visit to the Econo Lodge was one for pleasure. On vacation in Kalamazoo. The check in staff was wonderful. Room was just what we needed. Good for the value. Only thing that could have used a little work was the check out girl. She was kind of rude and snappy. Other than that it was a good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Raj G, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Econo Lodge the next time you are in Kalamazoo.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have never written a review before, but this place is horrible. I checked in and was sent outside to a satelitte building and was approached by a creepy car, carrying luggage and with my son,,,,the keys would not open the door to get inside.the building . So after they gave me new keys I went in the room and was afraid to sit on any thing in that room, it looked like some place a criminal would stay. terrible. I called the desk and said I was not comfortable and that I move to the main building. The second room I at least felt safer in, however smelled like wrotten stale cigarettes with a pungent sour pickle smell, with frayed tattered curtains.I kept my luggage there (closed and went to a lacrosse game ( we were in town for a tournament a booked as a group)...I felt a lot of itching on my ankles and lower legs... I did not realize it but was being bitten by fleas. When I returned I checked the base of the matress and found and video taped a bug crawling in around the matress base!!!! i showed the front desk and they gave me keys to another room...the room had not been cleaned or ready but full of food and garbage(it was 7 00pm), they gave me another room, also had the stale cigarette/ beer garden sour pickle smell but I kept checking for mattress bugs and didnt find any?? I really had no choice as the town was sold out for this tournament in town. I was so creeped out at this point that I grabbed 2 excercise rubber mats i happened to have in my car, as well as several beach towels i had, i removed their bedding and slept on top of my mats..i stayed in the main lobby area until 1 in the morning to avoid much contact with my room. In the morning I went to shower I turned on the hot water which was fine and went to grab the cold nozzle and the handle came off in my hand!!! It was not even a proper knob but a mismatch to the hot side ( I began to cry), the shower was also complete with long brown hair stuck on the walls. I thought I would go shower at my friend staying next door but did manage to get this to work somehow after I played around with it, Again that evening I stayed in the lobby until very late, avoiding the dreaded smelly room. As i sat there guest came to the front desk requesting towels, they didnt have any in their rooms. apparently the y ran out of towels. So the person had to deal with about 20-30 unhappy guests. this place is horrible. My luggage is still out in my garage, hoping that it will air out and any bugs that are their will die or not infest my house

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank kbloomfield
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Every time I come to Kalamazoo, this is the only hotel I choose to stay at. If there is any thing you need, all you have to do is ask. The staff exceeded my expectations. I stayed there last weekend and the guy that checked me in was EXTREMELY helpful and patient as he helped me through an issue with my credit card. I almost cried when it first declined, but with a smile and an adorable southern accent, he told me not to worry, he would try something else... and wouldn't you know it, it went through. The next day, I was delighted when he knocked on our door and asked if we needed anything. I was impressed by his politeness and we talked while he cleaned my room. He told me a story about when he was in the Army and it brightened my day. When someone goes out of their way to make you feel like one of a kind, it really means a lot.

Room Tip: First floor, closest to the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to have made your trip a pleasant one.
Denver, CO
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for about a week and the staff was always very friendly. The breakfast was basic, but good and there is an outdoor pool. The building is older, but has been remodeled. There are quite a few weekly tenants and they can be a bit loud, but everyone was friendly. For the price, it was a good value and a very good location for us.

If you want something more upscale, you will pay quite a bit more in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for the review and come back to see us again.
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I've been to many economy hotels being a businessman on a travel budget, and this hotel was pretty decent. I had to stop driving through the night on my way to Detroit, this hotel was right off the highway, so I stopped, the clerk at the desk checked me in fast and showed me how to get to my room, and even directed me to best places to park. When I got to my room it was mostly clean, a few spots on the carpet looked iffy but not nasty, bathrooms were tiny but im a bigger guy. The tv was good but didn't kick on right away, but it worked good all night for my ESPN fix. There were no microwaves or fridges, but the big guy on desk said he could store a few things for me in his pantry freezer/fridge. And a microwave in the lobby, which was fine because i needed the exercise. The complimentary breakfast was slim but had choices, OJ and 2 cereals and oatmeal type stuff,a modest breakfast,i love bacon! The lobby seemed clean, not dirty like the last few stays i had at other hotels. They had an outdoor pool, i did not get to enjoy it though as it opened at 10am, and i was checking out at 9. All in all, the beds were decent for a big guy who sleeps terribly and service was worth it. A couple quirks but passable as value overcame the minor things that the hotel couldn't mitigate like birds chirping outside and loud trucks starting in morning. For an economy hotel, I'd give it a 4/5...would stay again if im this side of the country again.

• Stayed June 2013
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. If you are ever in the area come back and see us again..
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 24, 2013

First room assigned had been smoked in so requested another. Second room was OK but the carpet and bathroom was NOT vacuumed. Lots of crude on the floor. Friends we travelled with had the same problem and were assigned an acceptable room after three trys. Staff was very professional and accomodating - but very apologetic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for the review and sorry we did not meet your expectations. Come back and let us make it up to you.