WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Michigan
“Not so bad, but not so good...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

I was a little unsure about my decision to stay here after reading the reviews here, but it was too late to change plans. Our small company was in town for a week for work and reserved several rooms. Since there were so many of us, we needed a budget hotel, that's why I selected Econo Lodge.

I'll start with the positives-every employee I encountered was friendly and helpful, this goes a long way with me. The reception area was attractive and clean. The continental breakfast was convenient, basic-instant oatmeal, cold cereal, toast, muffins, juice and coffee. There is a breakfast/lunch restaurant next door, but we were off to work too early to drop in. The pool was large and nice, though I didn't use it because there were too many screaming kids in there for me. The rooms were clean, fresh towels and sheets daily. With the heat wave we've been experiencing lately, I was so appreciative for the crazy-cold air conditioning unit. The beds were clean and comfortable. The interior and exterior of the hotel could use a little tlc, painting, deep cleaning, repairs, but overall the rooms seemed clean. I rated the 'cleanliness' as a '3' because the hallway was so repulsive.

The negatives-I feel a little bad about these negatives since the hotel staff isn't directly responsible for them, but they do need to address these issues. The hallway always smelled terribly. One day it would have an overwhelming odor I can't even describe, the next it would reek of urine, the next it would smell like an ash tray. When I'd mention this to the clerk, he'd run up there and spray air freshener, which would mask the odor for the time being. I reported someone for smoking in the hallway because I didn't want one of our rooms to be blamed and charged, one of my employees spotted someone smoking a joint in the hallway the same night. The hotel draws a unique mixture of visitors, many people like us, businesses in town for work, families, and some serious 'riff-raff' (at least while I was there). Partying people walking the hallways, congregating, talking outside my door at 3am, slamming doors in the middle of the night-does not make for a good nights sleep after working a 12 hour day. I think if they did a thorough deep cleaning of the hallways and walked the hallways from time to time to catch these people smoking in the hallways the nasty odor problem could be remedied. As far as the hallway-partiers, I don't know what they can do if they don't have ample staff and a desire to address the issue.

If I stay in Kalamazoo again, I'll skip the Econo Lodge as there are several options in the area.

Room Tip: Apparantly some of the rooms have a hair dryer and a mini-fridge, mine did not. I had a safe in my r...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Wabash, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Rooms quiet and clean,nice place to stay for the money,rooms have NO alarm clocks,breakfast was simple (oatmeal,coffee,milk,cereal,toast,muffins and juice) Friendly staff

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

This is a budget motel so that is what you get. I have stayed at other Econolodges that were much better. The room was ok but nothing special and could really use a good cleaning. Was fine for an overnight but I won't go back. I watched as one person got out of a car, went to enter an outside door of the motel and continued to pull and tug on it till it opened for him. (this person did not have a card to swipe) That did not make me feel very safe. Also, people hanging about at the front desk and outside the doors. Some of the interior doors even had extra deadbolts on them. It looks like they are trying to fix this place up though. There were some rooms wide open and others with a sheet hanging in the doorway so that's what leads me to believe they are working on it. I did not however see any maintenance type employees working there.

Room Tip: make sure to use your extra security door lock and get a room on the upper floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

My brother and I recently spent a few days at the hotel. I was very impressed - my last hotel I stayed at was not a good experience and when my brother told me of the cost of the room I was a bit skeptical. But the room was very nice and clean, a front desk staff that was very helpful and kind, a check-in process that was very quick. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank james k
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

We became a little nervous about staying here after making last minute reservations and then reading the reviews. The room was clean, the lobby beautiful. The desk attendant was very sweet. The outside is a little run down granted but you could tell the carpet in the halls had been freshly shampooed. For a cheap room it held out.

• Stayed March 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

First appearence was not the best but The lobby is Beautiful!!! The rooms were large, comfy and clean. Seems like newly renovated rooms. I think this is the best room for the price. I was looking for an interior hotel to stay in, near the Western Mich Univ, but everything else was very expensive. Dont expect much for breakfast but thats econolodge. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Easy access to interstate and shopping. Not bad drive to Western Mich Univ.
Definately stay there again....

Room Tip: Stay upstairs so no one is above you!!!!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Chew302
Oak Park, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I tend to choose this hotel for the price only. It is convienient to my client worksite. The breakfast is enough to get you thru the morning.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back facing West appear to be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business