“Fair older property” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Michigan
“Fair older property”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is an older property in fair condition. This is a townhouse style Residence Inn, great in the sumer... less great as the weather starts turning. My room looked like it was made up for a photo shoot or something, as place settings were out on the breakfast nook. Kind of annoying actually. The room furnishings look like they have been recently updated. The floors were noisy as were the neighboring units door.

Rooms (the bad): The property is located right on an exit and the Interstate. My room was very LOUD with lots of semi and road noises. Parking was very tight at this property.

Service at checkin was prompt and courteous. No other interactions except checkout. The overnight attendance didn't have fresh coffee at 5:30 in the morning, but offered to heat up the cold coffee in the pot.

Note: when coming from the east on the Interstate -- you need to do a "Michigan turnaround" to get to the property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Carrie O, General Manager at Residence Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Good afternoon I am the General Manager at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Kalamazoo. I first want to thank you for taking the time to update trip advisor on your experience here at Residence Inn. I can only imagine how frustrating to have to be awake and running at 5:30am and not have hot coffee waiting for you. It is our policy to have hot fresh coffee ready for all guests at 4am and I can assure you that we will make sure that happens in the future. We are a classic Residence Inn and designed for extended stay travelers and offer more of an apartment feel. We encourage guest for short periods of time all the way down to 1 night. I hope that you will stay at Residence Inn again when in Kalamazoo. Quick tip for you and all other travelers please not in your reservation away from highway noise and we will do our best to block you in a room away from the interstate. Thank you for your response I hope you have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Downers Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

We have stayed here several times while our daughter has been at school in town. It has always been a reasonable place to stay. We have never stayed during the winter. So the one thing I would add, is if you are going to be staying here during winter months you should have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. They do not plow their parking lot. But Kalamazoo and Portage don't seem to plow snow either. We have had a fairly active snow event here this weekend and we haven't really had any trouble but we have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. When we arrived the snow hadn't really begun in earnest, and all the parking spaces seemed to have been plowed but the driving area hadn't been and I needed 4wheel drive to maneuver. It has gotten worse. Although the sidewalks are shoveled!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. The snow has been a challenge this year and the plow drivers have been very busy. Thank you for mentioning that we are keeping the parking spaces and the sidewalks clear at Residence Inn. I know how frustrating it is to not be able to maneuver your vehicle around in the snow, we work very hard to help our guest when they are faced with this weather it is hard enough when you are at home and it is even harder to deal with when you are on the road. I hope this will not keep you from staying at our hotel again and we would love to have you in the future. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly if you have any other feedback you would like to give. I hope you have a great week
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Recently spent a night at this residence inn and had a great stay. It is an older hotel but you can notice the upgrades in renovations. All rooms that I could see exit to the exterior. The amount of space in this room was impressive. The staff was very friendly from the time we checked in to breakfast the next morning. Everyone greeted us at every passing. Highly recommended to those with small children.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Carrie O, General Manager at Residence Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for the Kind words. I appreciate the time that you took from your day to let others know about your experience at the Residence Inn.
Marion, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed at Residence Inn, Kalamazoo, MI while attending funeral services for my brother-in-law. Robert, Vica, Carrie-GM, Amanda, Doninique, Katie, Rodney and Ashley were all over the top great to me and my entire family! Want to say thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all your caring, loving and wonderfun hospitality during this time of sorrow! Much appreciation and gratitude for all of you!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the time that you took to put this review on line. I truly appreciate the great comments about your experience at the Residence Inn.
Kirkwood, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We needed either adjoining rooms or a suite as we were traveling with my 90 plus mother-in-law and we always like for her to have a space to call her own. We were able to find a suite at the Residence Inn that was not only big enough for us, but also had a full kitchen complete with a full size frig. It was ground level and handicap equipped which was a nice plus. The rooms were great and the beds were comfortable. The help from the receptionist that I made the reservations with to the grounds keeper were without a doubt some of MI finest people. The Inn was within a five minute drive of our sons place and was located where we could navigate the city well. The calendar on the frig was great as it listed sites to see and things to do. The Kellogg House Christmas Walk and Holiday Market was listed. We decided to go and see what it
entailed. A wonderful old home decorated for Christmas with shopping from locals thrown in.
Wonderful time. All in all our trip was a hit and it was due to be able to find a great place to stay and the people who went above and beyond to help make it a great time for all. By the way the
work out room was great also. I walked the treadmill everyday. It was clean and calming, not bright and noisy like gyms. Loved going each day and doing that two mile walk that I hate doing.

Room Tip: I called the Inn and talked to the desk clerk. The suites were great and the price was great. Ro...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing Residence Inn for your travel needs over the Holiday’s. I appreciate that you took the time when you returned home to put your experience here on Trip Advisor. Thank you for the Kind words and I hope we will see you when you are in Kalamazoo again in the future
MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed with friends in the King Studio Suite for a dog show. This hotel is very pet-friendly. I didn't book the room, but the rate my friend received was EXCELLENT considering it was during a peak event. The hotel was less than 10-12 minutes to the Kalmazoo showgrounds and near many restaurants and shopping.

The overall property had a "forest" feel, almost like you weren't staying in a hotel. Everything was impeccably maintained and welcoming. There's a beautiful large park just a mile down the road. The property was very quiet even though the hotel was full.

The room was more than spacious for 3 people with large dogs. There was more than enough drawer, dresser and closet space. It was very clean and had all the usual amenities of an extended stay including plates, glasses, cloth napkins, cookware, etc. The full kitchen shown on the website really looks just like that. The bathroom was spacious and had the typical amenities. I slept on the pullout sofa bed and it was shockingly comfortable! There were enough blankets, pillows and towels to go around.

The staff was exceptionally friendly. The housekeepers, breakfast staff, dinner staff and front desk clerk ALWAYS greeted us with a smile. Wow! They were the talk of our stay.

The breakfast was quite filling and contained little perks not seen at other places. They had the usual waffle maker, breads, cereals, but they also had oatmeals, sausage, eggs and potatoes. They even had multiple toppings for the waffles like whipped cream, fruit, chocolate chips, etc. They also had yogurts, fresh fruit, juices and multiple toppings for oatmeal.

Our Thurs. night included a free dinner with lasagna, pasta salad, garlic bread, salad and multiple refreshments. Nice!

We had a ground floor room with what we considered our own yard to walk the dogs. There was a nice long area of grass for the dogs right outside our door. This is VERY convenient in cold weather!

Our stay was as close to perfect as you can get. The only thing we couldn't figure out was the WiFi as we weren't sure they offered it. Of course, we didn't ask. Also, the parking spots are VERY small and made it difficult for those with vans or SUVs. If the hotel is full, you may have trouble finding parking.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your feedback on the Residence Inn. I appreciate the awesome review. I hope you will come and visit us again.
Detroit, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

When traveling with dogs it's sad to say, almost expected to be treated second class. I don't expect a whole lot when traveling with dogs (for dog shows mostly). I was not only surprised but delighted to find the opposite to be true here. Every member of the staff, from front desk, to management to housekeeping was absolutely the consummate hosts. Friendly, willing to help, even go above and beyond. One of the staff gave us great options for parks to take the dogs to (which was a beautiful park) Add to that the 'light social dinner' on Thursday (Lasagna, garlic bread, salad -yum!) and the hot breakfast in the mornings... I won't be looking for another hotel in Kalamazoo - it will be the Residence Inn for me and my dogs!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your feedback on the Residence Inn. The staff here prides themselves on providing the best service possible. I appreciate the wonderful review. I hope you will come and visit us again.