“Adequate Accommodations and Friendly Service”

Residence Inn Kalamazoo East
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Due to some negative reviews on this site, I almost changed my reservation to stay at the Hampton Inn (which is immediately adjacent to the Residence Inn). I decided to stay at the Residence Inn. It has all the comforts that a Residence Inn does. What stood out to me most was the exceptional friendliness of the staff, from front desk to the breakfast staff to housekeeping. They were very welcoming. I checked in at 11:30 a.m., and a room was ready. Regarding the noise, the rooms/buidings nearest to the Gatehouse/front desk are the closed to the highway. The ones on the other side (by the Hampton) are quieter. I like the free internet access in the room. The outdoor pool looked nice, and there is a 24 hour fitness center with the basics. Room was more than adequate. The breakfast was not as good as some other Residence Inn locations I've stayed at in the past. The food (sausage, eggs, potatoes) was cold, and so was the coffee. But it was very clean. The inn is not as "updated" as other Residence Inns, but I did not think it was filthy or a bad experience. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for its location very near the Kalamazoo airport and I-94, especially for a short stay. It's not too far from downtown either, and the area feels safe. It's not far from residential neighborhoods and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank girlluxe
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Kalamazoo East

Reviewed May 15, 2008

We enjoyed our stay here. The bed and the rollout sofabed were comfortable, the free breakfast was above average for this type of hotel, including frresh cooked eggs, oatmeal, sausage, and a variety of cereals, bagels and muffins (not freshly baked,but certainly above average). The room was quiet and the staff was quite helpful. Well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MountainLakeTree
Reviewed March 19, 2008

I'm a frequent business traveler and I try to stay within the Marriott family as I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member. That means on average I stay more than 75 nights per year.

I travel around the Great Lakes region regularly on business and this week I had some meetings in several of the smaller cities in western Michigan including Kalamazoo, where I booked a reservation for one night at the Residence Inn.

Now I don't need a good breakfast or fancy pools or spas or nice people to tell me they appreciate my business to make me happy, all I like in a hotel is clean accomodations and no noise so I can sleep. This hotel failed miserably to meet those 2 important requirements.

#1. This hotel is filthy. Nasty residue all over the walls in the bathroom, stains everywhere, mold on the shower head and sink nozel, slow flushing toilets - this is just a common Marriott trend, and the room seemed like it hadn't been updated in over 15 years. I wonder if this hotel even has Housekeeping service because with as many pubic hairs as I found all over the room (on the furniture, on the supposed clean towels in the bathroom, on the shower walls and floor) I would assume they do not. It felt more disgusting to sit on the toilet in the hotel room than a toilet at McDonalds. Kinda gross!

#2. This hotel is right off I-94 and there is no soundproofing efforts made and you can hear cars on the interstate racing by at all hours of the night...not good if you're trying to sleep.

Thank god I did not have my family with me...I have 2 young children and I would never let them stay in a dump like this. Thank god I also only had to stay there one night, I would have checked out anyway if I was scheduled to stay more than that.

Save yourself some grief and stay somewhere else that cares about cleanliness.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank MIbusinesstraveler
Reviewed October 31, 2007

Booked a two-night stay to visit family at college; hotel is about 15 minutes from Kalamazoo/ Western Michigan campus. Room was spacious for three persons, with a foldout sofabed as well as a king bed, a kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator, range, counter with stools and basic kitchen supplies, including place settings for four. Room also had a gas fireplace, which we didn't use.

Hall had separate sink/vanity and large mirrored closet. Both sink and bathroom shower were a little worse for wear/age, but clean. Complimentary breakfast was very generous and the staff member overseeing it kept everything well-stocked despite the morning crowd.

Our second-floor room was reached via outdoor steps; might be a consideration for travelers unable to lift/carry luggage or with mobility concerns.

1  Thank Abbreviated
Reviewed December 26, 2006

I stayed at the Kalamazoo Residence Inn for a business trip in November 2006. It is located directly off of I-94 - very easy to reach.
The lobby is actually quite charming - the hotel had hot coffee, hot tea, and hot chocolate available for weary travelers. The staff was very polite and more than happy to answer any questions that I had. Although I did not use the exercise facility (directly across from the front desk), it appeared to be clean and equipped adequately.
My room was also very clean and spacious. It should be noted (for those not familiar with Residence Inn hotels) that the guest rooms are often not attached to the hotel lobby and require walking to/from the hotel lobby outside. I was aware of this and not inconvenienced and upon reaching my room, was pleased with the small touches - the mints, bottled water, etc. My only concern was the condition of the bed - a bit too old (or just too soft) for my liking.
Otherwise, I was quite satisfied with the service and amenities I received for the price of one night. On a last note - hot breakfast (complimentary) was awaiting in the morning and actually boasted quite an array of items - yogurt, scrambled eggs/bacon, cereal, waffles, etc. Checkout was expeditious, and I was on my way.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank Arunda01
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Booked two nights using Marriott points to visit family. Clean rooms and lots of room. The only point I have to make is that we were in a room facing I-94 and the traffic noise was loud. I am a light sleeper and this kept me up at night. In the future I will stay here again, but just get a room on the parking lot side.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BaltimoreFlyer
Reviewed July 8, 2006

Got this hotel through a bid on priceline- we bid $40 a nite and I think we over paid- if you bid for kalamazoo, bid $30/nite max.

It was a nice enough place, but the clientele there left a bit to be desired, and there is very little to do in the immediate area around the hotel.

Staff was very nice, but the Marriott/Residence website listed the pool as heated- don't believe it! It was arctic cold in the pool morning, noon, and night! and the pool is very small, so when the "guests", or inbreeds as we referred to them, began doing dives, backflips, etc, there was no other room in the pool to get away from those imbeciles.

room was nicely appointed with a king bed and a queen pull out. the breakfast was very nice- waffle maker, fresh fruit, donuts, bagels, juice/coffee, yogurt, cereal, and freshly made eggs, sausage patties, potatoes/grits, french toast/biscuits. it was one of the nicest free breakfasts we've ever seen.

if this hotel was in a better location we'd definitely stay again!

Stayed: July 2006