“Excellent Value - The staff here is incredible...”

Residence Inn Kalamazoo East
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Okemos, Michigan
“Excellent Value - The staff here is incredible...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

Over the past 6 months, I've had the opportunity to stay at this Residence Inn for week-long events. The hotel is typical for Residence Inn's.... complimentary daily breakfast, a dinner on Tues-Thurs, Coffee available 24x7, free internet, etc.

All in all, the facility is very convenient for those working in the Kalamazoo area, and provides a great value for the money. What makes this Residence Inn unique is Just how Far the staff (especially front desk & management) will go out of their way - to get to know you (and I mean SERIOUSLY) know you. They want to know your preferences in building, floor level, what brings you to Kalamazoo, and without being intrusive - they make you feel so valued as a customer.

It's really hard to express, but as a simple example - the hotel experienced a telephone, internet, and tv outage during a major ice storm in Kalamazoo. They were lucky to even have electricity as many of the homes & businesses within 100 miles were going without. These folks worked day & night to keep everyone comfortable, and to respond to this situation with grace & expertise. They wore smiles on their faces, and really pulled together when the chips were down. A potentially miserable situation almost bordered on 'fun' with the way they handled it. What a great management team!

I do suggest that this wonderful hotel be on your 'consideration list' when conducting regular business travel in the Kalamazoo, MI area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

This hotel is great. The staff service was what made the difference. Nate and Jackie at the front desk were two of the best people I have met at a hotel in a long time. The room was clean and comfoftable, and had a kitchen too. The breakfast was really well done, I loved the hot selections. Overall this hotel was great and I will be back the next time I go to Kalamazoo.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank trdc54
Independence, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

I arrived on 1/31 right before the big snow storm hit on 2/1. I have never seen any hotel work so hard to clear the parking lot. They also cleared the snow off of the cars in the parking lot. Although not too many cars actually moved that day, they could have at least gotten out with very little trouble.

The staff for the morning breakfast and evening snack were amazing. It was better, and friendlier service, than I get in 9 out of 10 restaurants. And since it was soo difficult to get out and about, I am pretty sure most of the guests ate the "snack" as dinner.

The room was clean. Everything worked as it should. The wireless internet was pretty fast and easy to connect to. The heat worked great.

If I ever return to Kalamazoo, I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rickity
Noida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

Big rooms with all facilities is the USP of Marriot Residence Inn Kalamazoo. No smoking rooms available. Breakfast and evening buffet (free on Tue to Thurs) were awesome...

Friendly staff & they entertain everything you ask them for. It is a real nice place to stay. I loved my stay in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Etisha22
West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

We stayed here for two nights (Friday and Saturday) on a recent visit to see our son. The hotel itself is located immediately off the highway, and is convenient to a number of restaurants. Upon arriving, I checked int--the clerk at the front desk was cheerful, friendly, provided us with some dinner suggestions, and directions to the restaurants--very nice start. The hotel proprty is made up of 12-15 individual townhouse style buildings, with (I think four units in each building--four up and four down). I thought the exterior of the property could have been kept up a bit better---it was not rundown, but nor was it "fresh". I would also mention that, for some reason, there must have been 10+ ATT service trucks in the parking lot while we were there. The trucks were rather large, and made maneuvering into and out of parking spaces a bit difficult. The interior of the room was very nice---looked like it had been redone recently---clean carpet, draperies were new, nice kitchen, lots of space. I thought the bed was on the too soft side, but obviosuly that is a matter of persoanl taste. Our first night there was fine---no issues, enjoyed our stay thorougly. The second nite, however, was less satisfactory. We were on teh second floor of one of the townhouse units, and the folks in a nearby unit were being pretty loud--talking loudly, going in and out of their suite a lot/letting the door slam--nothing none of us have not encountered. This all started about 11PM--I finally fell asleep, and at 12:30PM, the phone rings--it was the front desk asking us if we had called a cab. My wife pciked up the phone and said, "No", and at that point mentioned maybe it was the people keeping us up. The clerk asked my wife if she knew which room number they were in, and she replied "No". We thought it was (1) totally inappropriate for them to be calling us as 12:30AM and disturbing us; and (2) pretty odd for them to ask us if we knew the room number fo the people who may have made the request. To their credit, upon checking out the next morning, when they asked how my stay was, I told them about the phone call and noise; they did apologize for the intrusion. Overall the place was ok, but calling us that late reflected poor judgment of the part of the hotel staff--hence the overall poor rating.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HappyTraveler43
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

Went to WMU homecoming weekend and everyone ended up in our room. Great amenities, Only problem they didn't have dishwashing detergent for dishwasher. Rooms were comfortable, clean and big.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

We were welcomed like family here and treated with the highest respect.
Our motorhome was totaled by a young man on the interstate near this location. After going to 3 different hotels, this was the only one that welcomed us. And in fact though fully booked, was able to find room for us.
The manager, Carrie, and all her staff were very nice to us. Everyone from the all the wonderful people at the front desk, to the maids and the maintenance men went out of thier way to accomodate us. They even allowed us to come in with our 2 terrified cats, for a fee of course, but was very appreciated as we had suddenly become without our home on wheels and no where to go with them.
Was more of an apartment than a hotel room, which was extremely clean with a brand new kitchen including new granite countertops, and cabinets. Could use some handles on the cabinets, however.
Laundry room machines were inexpensive, clean and conveniently located. Pool area inviting, with a nice added surprise of a gas barbeque area.
Terrific hot breakfast, with a lot of choices on the buffet.
I would defiinitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple