“The Best Sushi in this area, hands down”
Review of Sushi Ya - CLOSED

Sushi Ya
Cuisines: Japanese
Michigan
“The Best Sushi in this area, hands down”
Reviewed February 7, 2009

The selection is fantastic; there are many traditional selections as well as many "Americanized" versions that are phenomenal! Great place!

kalamazoo
“Sushi is AWFUL, the kitchen meals are mediocre, and it is WAY OVER PRICED”
Reviewed October 8, 2008

All right. If you TRULY like sushi then DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT. Their sushi is the worst sushi that I have EVER had. I used to go to good sushi restaurants regularly back in Massachusetts and now I'm out here for college. Their sushi is absolutely AWFUL. Their rice was chunky, dry, and would fall apart as you tried to eat a maki roll. They do not know how to make proper rice and how to store it.

If you do go there, DO NOT EAT THE IKURA. I absolutely love ikura but there people massacred the gunkan maki ikura that I order. This is what good ikura looks like:
Their ikura looked more like a paste that should be spread out over bread. Probably because they had frozen it or it had gone bad. Either way it's terrible tasting and over priced at $5 for two pieces of ikura.

When I went there I was with my girl friend and we also order two noodle dishes. The noodle dishes were mediocre and were not anything special. Yet they were priced around $14-16, which were not any where near what they are worth.

Also, they have extremely watered down green tea that is served to you in very cheap container.

Our over all meal was two noodle dishes, a spicy tuna maki roll, a salad, and green tea. Our total cost...well you'd expect much better quality for what it cost. Out total: $60.

This restaurant is most certainly not worth it.

I highly would NOT recommend this restaurant.

3 Thank smerky
kalamazoo
“A great experience for people of all demographics”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Sushiya does not only have great food, the atmosphere is very unique. It is definitly a love-it-or-hate-it atmosphere, but I feel that this place is something everyone can enjoy. From their diversity in food with steaks, seafood, and a wonderful assortment of both korean and japanese dishes, to their diversity in people, both employees and customers. They have a very energetic vibe but yet it still a very classy place. The server I had in whose name was Nick was a pleasure to have and was very educated on the sushi and the dishes they served. At one table there was some college students and at another a group of wealthy gentlemen having a meeting. The amazing food and well balanced atmosphere make Sushiya a great place to eat and drink at and I recommend this place to anyone who loves sushi.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I love that they have both Japanese and Korean food.”
Reviewed May 31, 2008

I love that they have both Japanese and Korean food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Michigan
“just...ehh....ok”
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I wasn't very impressed. On a saturday night the place was pretty empty. The sushi wasn't very good and atomsphere was lacking. The tables are tight, the service was lukewarm and the food was uneventful. The sushi wasn't fresh and the menu didn't offer many choices.