“Eh.... food was just "okay"”

Olde Peninsula Brewpub
Ranked #41 of 341 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Kalamazoo 1st Brewpub! Opened on St. Patrick's Day 1996 as Kalamazoo's 1st brewery and restaurant combined into one great place.
Leitchfield, Kentucky
“Eh.... food was just "okay"”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I went there as a belated Valentines Day dinner. We both ordered the Garlic sirloin steak. He got his rare, I got mine medium-well. There was ZERO difference in the cooking of the steaks when we got them. I about sent it back, but just decided to eat around the ends and take the rest home to COOK FURTHER. The steak was seasoned well and tasted good, other than being nearly raw.

My husband got the "garlic and cheddar" mashed potatoes. I would not recommend. There is no tasting the cheese and it was ridiculously strong with garlic and we are huge garlic fans. If I made garlic potatoes that strong at home, not one would eat them.

My other complaint would be that we weren't given steak knives. So we had a pretty difficult time cutting in to steaks with dull butter knives. That was the waiter's fault and honestly....he was not very attentive.

When my husband brought up that my steak wasn't very done, he didn't offer to take it back and have them cook it further.... it was kind of an "oh well" attitude. We never were asked for drink refills either. Which it's a brewery... I get it. They are more in to the beer drinkers-- but a little more service would have been nice.

I don't see us rushing back there any time soon.

• Visited February 2014

Kalamazoo, Michigan
“undercooked bland food”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We've had good food here in the past, and the beers are good. We recommend the sampler of five small glasses of different brews. However, in August 2013 we took friends for dinner. The service was slow. The veggies were in huge chunks and nearly raw. Breaded fish was greasy and was served barely warm. Seasonings were absent. I hope this was an isolated bad day for the cooks and servers!

• Visited August 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
“Good Atmosphere and Food”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Fun downtown restaurant. Great home brewed beer and root beer. You can see the vats where the beer is brewed. Good food.

• Visited December 2013
Haslett, Michigan
“Great beer and food”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

This brewpub is a must for microbrew aficionados. Great beer and excellent food. My favorite of the 3 pubs I visited in Kalamazoo on my trip. It was busy with a restaurant atmosphere, but I will definitely return.

• Visited November 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
“Disappointing visit”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We visit several times a year to meet friends but this time we were very disappointed. We had to ask for water several times from different servers before we ever got it. We ordered drinks and were never asked if we wanted another before we were presented our check. While everyone else's food was good I ordered the NY Strip Steak for the first and LAST time. I ordered it medium and it arrived rare. Our server did not check back but someone else I believe the manager stopped to check and I sent it back to be cooked more. It came back medium rare but at least it was hot this time. It was served with cheddar mashed which I don't believe had any cheese or cheese flavor it them. I had to ask for some butter for them. Either the steak knife was extremey dull (and had a rounded end instead of a pointed one) or the steak was tough. It was not seasoned at all. It was also at least 50% fat and gristle. When I told the server of my disappointment, it was like too bad so sad. If you go here do NOT order the steak.

• Visited November 2013