“Great Stay - Excellent Staff”

Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Stay - Excellent Staff”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just stayed at the Radisson for a soccer tournament and would highly recommend staying at this hotel. Zach at the front desk was extremely helpful from the time we walked in and I shared this with the supervisor Mark the next day and he was just as nice and helpful. Thank you to you both and I wish everyone was as nice and helpful as you both were. The room was great and very clean with no problems.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Amber A, at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here in Kalamazoo! We are definitely very lucky to have both mark and Zach on are team, and are glad that they were able to help you enjoy your stay with us here at the Radisson.

We hope that you will come back and visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Hello everyone,

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, as I was in the process of taking a Real Estate course.

Besides a couple minor issues in my room and my horrific conversation with Michelle, the guest relations manager, this by far is one of the nicest hotels in Kalamazoo.

Walk into the hotel, using a Carlson Friends and Family Rate, as my friend, who is now working at a Radisson Blu in China, gave me this special rate code. Anyways, walk in to good vibes from Antwon, I would say one of the best employees there. I get my room, which was upgraded to a Business Suite due to my Gold Elite status, and go up the elevator. Walk in the room, ut oh, not a business suite, walk back downstairs. No big deal. Get my key card for my actual room and I was wowed; what a beautiful room! A special welcome gift was waiting for me too, a delicious treat from the local bakery:). But wow, this room had the wraparound windows, full kitchen, bar area, living area, two sink bathroom, a HUGE shower, and another room which leads to the bedroom. So after a long day of real estate class, I turned on some lights, and one of them decided to be stubborn and not turn on. Unfortunately, I could not find the plug myself (assuming it was not plugged in) and called down to the front desk. The lady said she would send an engineer up right away. No one showed. Fortunately, Antwon took the problem in his own hands and came up, we plugged it in, still didn't work. Antwon said he would send an engineer up right away, and he was there within 2 minutes of him leaving. Antwon following through for me, great guy. Light is now fixed and I decided to hit the gym, which was BEAUTIFUL. Called the Kalamazoo Athletic Club, it has all the free weights and machines you would ever want to use, a workout studio to use at your disposal, and a cool lap/leisure pool with hot tub in waterfall. Go back up after a great workout and was ready for my shower.

There were two heads to the shower, one removable and one permanent. Permanent one turns on, no problems. Removable one turns on. Water starts spritzing everywhere. It was just not my day. The pipe was busted! After my shower, headed to the Business Lounge, which was ok. They have a full service bar, water bottles, and sodas. Night appetizers were weak, little bread and dip. After that went to my room to sleep. I was exhausted, and that extremely comfortable bed hit the spot.

Woke up the next morning and went to the Business Lounge to see what was for breakfast. Simple continental breakfast with packaged bagels. Chose to go to Panera. At lunch break, I decided to give a call to Michelle, the guest relations manager who reads the Trip Advisor reviews. I simply just wanted to tell her about the problems I had with my room so nobody else had to experience the same. The conversation didn't go too well.

Went as so: Simply telling her about the problems in my room; had a flickering light, the whole waiting for the engineer who never came, the busted pipe in the shower, and some other minor problems, and just simply saying that these things should be checked out before somebody checks in. She says thanks for telling me all of this, but usually when YOU call ME you are not going to write a TripAdvisor review mentioning these things. What? Of course I am still writing the review, just letting you know whats going on. Especially because it was a Business Suite, it's no cheap room. She then asks "what do you want me to do about it? send an engineer up?" Then it hit me. Michelle first of all saw I was on the Carlson F&F rate, therefore giving her a reason to treat me as inferior, and then out of frustration and not wanting to talk with her said, "nothing, I don't want an engineer in my room when I get back." Antwon, I would say the best and most caring employee at the hotel, should be the guest relations manager in my opinion.

Come back after class and do my workout in the Athletic Club. Take my shower with water spraying everywhere. Even with the pipe busted, everything was all good. Go to Brudick's for dinner, had a great burger, watched some NBA finals action. Studied for my exam that was taking place the next morning and went to sleep in that extremely comfortable bed. Overall a great stay, besides the minor problems I had and my conversation with Michelle.

Valet: A little pricey. $20, but easy in and out and car is waiting for you at your convenience.

Also, if Mark, one of the hotel managers is reading this, consider Antwon for a high level position. Honestly the best hotel employee I have ever had the chance to work with.

Room Tip: Business Suite all the way. Do a status match to Club Carlson Gold Elite and book a standard room. Y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank matthewbloom1
Ashley G, Operations at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Bloom,

We are very pleased to hear that our associate Antwan exceeded your expectations. I will pass your compliments along to him. I am also glad that you enjoyed our hotel and the amenities we offer. The Kalamazoo Athletic Club is certainly a pride of ours and it's great that you got to take advantage of it. Thank you for providing details regarding your stay, and I will follow up with my team about specifics. We appreciate your feedback very much as it allows us to serve our guests better in the future.

Regards,

Ashley
United States
Reviewed June 2, 2013

In a nutshell -- awesome, awesome, awesome! The service, facility, and amenities were top-notch. I can't wait 'til we get to go back.

My wife and I were in Kalamazoo this past weekend for our anniversary. We knew the Radisson was expensive, but we'd been eyeing this hotel for almost a year waiting for the right time to visit. In the end, we decided to use points for a last-minute weekend stay. It was not a cheap redemption -- demanding a whopping 44k Club Carlson goldpoints per night! To put everything into perspective, for only 6k more, we could have stayed at the brand new Radisson Blu in downtown Chicago.

Despite the number of points we had to burn, we were not disappointed. The hotel staff went above and beyond the whole weekend -- from a recognition of our anniversary and an exuberant greeting in the lobby, to a nice upgrade to the executive floor, to a surprise bottle of champagne (along with a hand written note signed by the staff!) in the room. Each staff member we encountered did everything in his/her power to make us feel special. Even though my wife and I both had status with Club Carlson, we saw plenty of examples of the staff going out of their way to make every guest feel special.

The lobby and common areas were recently refurbished and really looked stunning, and the bars and restaurants in the hotel were hopping all night long. Our room was pretty standard sized, with a small bathroom, but everything was recently refurbished and looked stylish and modern. Our bed was NOT a sleep number bed, and it was comfy with high quality linens. In the bathroom, we found all kinds of amenities, including a loofah (shower sponge), body wash, and mouthwash in addition to the standard soap/shampoo/conditioner.

We ended up taking advantage of the 9th floor lounge throughout our stay, and found all of the lounge attendants to be fantastic. Although they limit cocktails in the lounge to 2 per room, we found they were not stingy with their pours, and we loved the local beer selection and homemade chips/salsa they had sitting out on Saturday night. Later in the evening, we followed the recommendation of our lounge attendant and had a great night out at Kalamazoo Beer Exchange down the road. If you like to buy your pints stock-market-style (go there and you'll see what I mean), we highly recommend KBE!

Breakfast in the lounge was decent, and we heard the weekend spread was better than what they had on weekdays. There were a couple of warm selections -- waffles, bacon, biscuits, and gravy.

The pool was as stunning as it looked in the pictures, and the hot tub was huge and HOT, which was rare for a hotel. They had a staffed health club on site with plush locker rooms and modern equipment -- free to hotel guests. It was nice to have access to showers and a swimsuit dryer in the locker rooms so we didn't have to walk back to our rooms dripping wet.

We saw a number of small events going on at the hotel, and the ballrooms looked just as nice as the rest of the hotel. I should also point out that wireless internet was free and available throughout the hotel.

Now, about the whole Radisson Blu thing...

For some reason, there seems to be very little consistency among Radisson hotels in the United States. Some are pretty ho-hum (such as the two recently-closed locations in Grand Rapids and some of the airport properties around the country), and some are top-notch. For a consumer like myself, it means I never know quite what to expect when I walk through the doors of a Radisson hotel.

Fortunately, Carlson Rezidor seems to understand the issue and they're starting to differentiate hotels a bit. We're seeing some former Radissons removed from the chain, some retagged as Park Inns (DFW Airport, for example, which is still a fantastic hotel), and some of the more upscale properties retagged as Radisson Blu (Radisson Plaza Minneapolis, for example). Despite its location in a relatively small city, the Radisson Plaza Kalamazoo definitely seems to fit the mold of a Radisson Blu, and it would be awesome to see the "Blu" designation on their sign some day. They definitely sit at the top of the range for the Radisson brand.

Anyway, thanks again to all the staff at the Radisson Plaza Kalamazoo for a great stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Hello,

WOW! Thank you for the detailed and glowing review. We are so grateful that you took the time to share your thoughts and experiences with others. The review has been shared with our staff, owners and even Carlson- we are flattered by your words.

We hope you will choose to celebrate next year's anniversary with us as well (give us a heads up so that we can get you in a special room).

The entire team at Kalamazoo Radisson Plaza
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband & I stayed here because we were in town for a car show at the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners. Our room number was 557 & we had a king suite with a whirlpool. The bedroom was separate from the living room. There was a mini kitchen w/an apartment size fridge w/a freezer, microwave, dishwasher & coffee maker that uses coffee pods (not a Keirug). Free Wi-Fi too! Furniture in living room was comfy but we didn't use the sofa bed, as was the king-sized bed w/quality linens & good pillows. The toilet, shower & whirlpool were in a separate room from the vanity area which was well lit & had 2 sinks & a granite countertop. The closet was a decent size and there's a full length mirror next to the hallway door.

We ate at Webster's and found the food DELICIOUS! I think it was the best salmon I've ever eaten! My husband had a great tenderloin steak too. The hotel has a few nice shops as well, but you're also just steps away from the Kalamazoo pedestrian mall. No car needed! I used the fitness center which had state of the art (Precor) treadmills and ellipticals as well as Nautilus equipment & free weights. Bring your own ear buds or purchase for $3 so you can enjoy the TV attached to the machines.

Every staff member was kind & helpful and we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The only reason I gave it 4 "stars" is because the shower ran out of hot water at 10:45 am.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank memaiani
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Good afternoon,

Thank for you taking the time to give a detailed description of your room and visit to our hotel. I am happy that you got to enjoy one of our Manhattan Suites (we owe you commission for your excellent room summary). Webster's is amazing- I hope that you got to try some of the pretzel bread.

We are extremely sorry for the issue with hot water. Our boilers were having trouble and while our Engineering team addressed this immediately, I am sorry you were inconvenience in the first place. As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us!
The Kalamazoo Radisson
brighton, mi
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel staff were very helpful...We were permitted to check in in the morning and were abel to get a late check out as well. Our room was GREAT... We enjoyed one of their "business suites" suites that had a kitchen and a separate bedroom with a king size bed... The room was clean and furnishings and carpet modern and new looking. The fitness and spa/indoor pool are actually part of a fitness club and the facilities far exceed what a typical hotel has to offer. The staff, service and the facilities were all great...

Room Tip: Check out the various types of suites for a better than average room... There are several different...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ghwmi
Good evening,

We value your feedback and the time that you spent telling others about your stay with us, thank you. Great to hear that you got to spend time in Kalamazoo Athletic Club, our workout facility- maybe next time you will even get to throw in a spin class!

The Kalamazoo Radisson Team
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had never stayed at a Radisson property before and was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. There was a conference I was attending and this was the host hotel. I expected a subpar hotel but was I wrong. This was a wonderful property with a great room, great downtown location where you could walk to several delightful restaurants and best of all the people were friendly and helpful. From the minute I dropped my car off at the valet parking I felt welcomed and appreciated. The front desk lady was very helpful in directing me on the location for the conference in the hotel, even came out from behind the desk to show me where to go. She couldn't have been nicer. The room was very nice and clean and spacious. The local weather wasn't great but you can't do anything about that, but the warmth from the staff made up for it. When I ordered breakfast via room service, I expected it to take some time but when she said she would have my food in 10 minutes, I couldn't believe it and it did arrive as promised--hot and delicious. I would definitely stay here again if ever I was in the area. I was kind of sad to leave after 3 nights.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Karen M
Hello,

Admittedly, we have no chance on winning the heat competition with Houston! Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments you gave our hotel. We are excited that you had such a great time and were able to experience Kalamazoo.

We hope that you do return and we get the opportunity to host you again.

Take care,
Michelle and the Kalamazoo Radisson
Chicago
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We chose the Radisson in the city center to walk to the great local restaurants. We spent a little extra and got on the concierge floor. The Concierge lounge was comfortable, Antoine was our bartender, he was fun and a great host. The staff was friendly and professional. The room was clean and very comfortable. I would definitely return whenever I am in Kalamazoo.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrekNHS
Hello,

Thank you for visiting us from Chicago and for sharing your experience with others. We are very lucky to have Antwan and I will be sure that pass along your compliments. When you return, I recommend a visit to our Chef's Table in Zazio's- it is a wonderful experience! Please contact the hotel and ask for Amber, she can make sure that you have all of the reservations and local tips that you may want.

The Kalamazoo Radisson