“Slighly Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Slighly Disappointed”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I called to book a concierge lever jacuzzi suite, for my fiance and I. The lady that I spoke with told me that they didn't have any available but she could give me one a room identical on the 8th floor, which is right below concierge the level, and give us access to the 9th floor. So we settled and decided to book that room. (Instead of going to the J.W. in Grand Rapids)

When we pulled up the valet promptly came out to park our car, however we were under the impression that valet was complimentary when you stayed on the concierge level. (Which we would have obviously done if we could have.) After having the conversation with the valet, which was very uncomfortable to say the least. We decided to just park ourselves, I personally didn't feel comfortable with him driving our car. You have to pay 15 to park in the ramp anyway, so 20 wasn't really unreasonable, if you were to pay for valet.

When we checked, we were not given the room we were promised.. we ended up being on the 6th floor, instead of the 8th. Which was disappointing for me, I would have liked to have a better, view of the city. We decided not to make a big deal out of it, simply because we were there to relax, and enjoy ourselves..

I do have to say that the renovations did look amazing, the lobby was beautiful. The front desk was very open, and made it feel more personal. We were both looking around, admiring everything that had been done. (This was my first visit, but my finance has stayed pre-reno.)

Everything was very clean, and tidy. Which was very nice, everything felt very brand new. Our room was amazing, very spacious. However our shower leaked awfully, it leaked all the way our of the shower area into the closet outside of the door and it wasn't just because the shower door wouldn't shut all the way.. it was leaking between the metal and the wall, and whoever did the caulking on the drain in the shower, must have been a first timer. (When we checked out we informed the guy at the front desk about the leak, and he didn't seem to concerned, so we didn't bother mentioning anything else. He just said that he would mention it to maintenance

We went down to the lobby about 1am. Obviously we knew that everything was closed, we just wanted to look around, and see the shops, and the spa.. and the rest of the renovations. We also were considering Breakfast at Burdicks, so we wanted to peak at it. But unfortunately the guy at the front desk made us feel extremely uncomfortable. When we went down the escalator he walked over the rail and watched us the entire time as we were walking around.. and when we came back upstairs to peek at Idun he walked over to the escalators an watched us. Then he continued to watch us as we got onto the elevator to go back up to our room, since we were obviously not welcome in the lobby.

We decided to order room service instead of going to Websters. Which was a huge mistake The room service is actually made by Burdicks, not the Radisson. Which explains why it wasn't very good. My fiance had the ribs, which were good... and we had wings as an app, which were also good.. but I had the NY strip, and it was very bland.. and not cooked how I requested. Also the green beans that came with my dinner were awful. No flavor at all. We later ordered desert... the only thing there was to choose from, brownie ala mode. The Brownie was hard as a rock. I seriously couldn't hardly eat it. So if you can, stay away from room service.

So.. over all our stay was nice. It was fun to see everything while it was new. But I just wish that we would have been made to feel a little bit more comfortable. And which the exception of the lady who worked in the concierge lounge, the service could have been wayyyy better. I def think I will choose the J.W next time, sadly. =[

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nickiw1989
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Good afternoon,

First, thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experiences while visiting us. We value all feedback that we receive and will address each issue in order to improve our guests' stays.

I apologize that the gentleman in the lobby made you feel uncomfortable. We are lucky to have an amazing security team, powered by many part-time or former police officers. They like to make sure that everyone is safe and the hotel is secure, perhaps on this night, the watch detail was a little overzealous. I do hope that you can find some comfort in knowing that while the interaction should have been handled in a more friendly manner by the security officer, he was looking out for the best interest of our guests.

High service provided to each guest is top on our priority list. Please contact me so that we can speak. I hope that you will give us a chance to provide the experience that you and your fiance deserve!

Looking forward to speaking with you,
Michelle Mercer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel this weekend for a friends wedding. The staff was amazing! Everyone was so helpful and friendly. The price per night was pretty high but worth it for location.

Our room was comfortable however the walls were super thin. I could hear every word of the people next to us.

The water seemed weird. I couldn't get the soap to wash off of me in the shower. My husband said the same thing. It could just be the water in that location.

The bars and restaurants were great. Again, I loved the staff.

The temperature of the hotel was freezing. Maybe they are just in between AC & heat for the fall but we were so cold in most common areas.

Despite these few flaws this is a great hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hello~

It makes us very happy that you received the customer service that you deserve and that we strive to always give! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.

I apologize that you were cold for much of your stay! We are working on better ways to make the general space climate comfortable with everyone. In Michigan, we all love the changing weather but it can definitely wreak havoc on our HVAC systems! When you return, please be sure to let us know how the temperature is to you and we will work hard to make sure that you are comfortable.

Again, thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts on the service that you were given. We feel strongly that each member of our team care for every guest with the most compassion, attentiveness and authenticity possible. It is nice to hear that our guests our receiving the high service standard they the deserve.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Michelle and the entire Radisson Plaza Team
brighton, mi
Reviewed September 23, 2012

About 6 months ago we stayed at this hotel and it was undergoing major renovations. We stayed again yesterday and wow what a difference... We were able to get an early check in and stay in one of the whirlpool suites. Overall the hotel has a beautiful lobby and nice new room furnishings, very nice spacious and clean sleeping room, great downtown location... Overall, a very nice hotel. We will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Hello,

We are happy that you came back to enjoy all the beautiful updates. The renovation process has not always been fun for guests, but we agree with you that it is all worth it!

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your marriage at our hotel. We are grateful that you gave us the chance to take care of you and your wife the right way.

Hoping to see you for many anniversaries to come!
Michelle and the Kalamazoo Radisson team
Rome, Italy
Reviewed September 15, 2012

From airport pick-up that runs like clockwork to shopping mall with elegant clothes shop, beauty spa (try the Martini pedicure) and coffee shop where you can buy magazines, wine and candles, to Old Burdick sports bar and Webster gourmet restaurant, and a well-appointed gym popular with both locals and hotel guests and its usually deserted swimming-pool with waterfall and jacuzzi, this hotel offers a full range of excellent services.
It has been undergoing ongoing refurbishment for the last couple of years, but with minimal disruption to customers and the staff are generally friendly and eager to help.
It's located centrally with banks and shops nearby as well as my favourite traditional dirt-cheap diner and a great used-book dealer. If you want to go to a giant shopping mall such as The Crossroads, the hotel shuttle will take you if not otherwise engaged. I bought my favourite jeans there!
The not-yet refurbished rooms are comfortable enough but a bit dark and dated, so ask for a room on one of the newly-restored floors if you can.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hello,

"Home away from home"- what bigger compliment can we ask for?! Thank you for take the time to write about your visit to our hotel. I am happy that you got the time to enjoy a Pedi-tini. We feature themed spa services according to the season so you'll always get to experience new and fresh!

Don't hesitate to share your type of favorite jeans- who can't use a good jean recommendation?

We appreciate your time and look forward to your next visit to Kalamazoo.

Michelle and the Radisson Plaza Staff
Michigan
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed in August 2012. We were able to check-in early. The staff was uniformly helpful and informative. We booked a whirlpool suite. Will post pics. There are at least 2 different sizes of the Studio suite. We were in the larger version. Saw the smaller; it would have been OK. Also, saw the whirlpool full suite. There, the bed and whirlpool are in a separate room from the living room/mini-kitchen area. Thought the whirlpool near the bed in the full suite were a bit crowded.

The king bed was very comfortable. The whirlpool filled quickly. The water jets were fully functioning. There were 2 sinks in the bathroom area; separate from the toilet and walk-in shower area (no tub). There were terry cloth robes. There was a connecting door to the occupied, adjacent room. There was no sound coming thru the door or walls. The fan and thermostat were adjustable. There are restaurants and some shopping within the hotel complex.

The hotel is located in heart of downtown. Many restaurants and bars are within short walking/driving distance.

Some issues/problems: There was a space for a microwave, but it was missing. We did not need it; so did not ask for one. The small freezer in the frig was badly frosted. The door would not fully close. It was functional. As noted by other reviews; there were no utensils in the kitchen. Fore-warned by TripAdvisor, we brought our own. The ceiling above the whirlpool had an area of peeling plaster. This was dry. It did detract from using it. The cable television did not have a music only function.

The parking in the adjoining parking ramp was plentiful. It is $15/day. There was unlimited daily access to and from. Coming into the hotel from the ramp walk-way; there were about 7 – 10 steps down. So, handling luggage items could be a bit awkward. There is a small elevator there. It was labeled for operation by hotel staff only. So, impaired persons could use it. One earlier reviewer complained about the walk from the ramp. It is a very short walk. Only a lazy person could find fault with the modest distance. There is valet parking as well.

The hotel is still being renovated. The lobby area was mostly done. Some public restrooms were not functional. Construction workers said they had been working since early in the year. They estimated they would be done in another 60 days or so.

Hotel pics did not show the sink and shower area. I am including some with this review.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel. We are grateful that you shared your experiences with others. (I am definitely impressed with your knowledge of the rooms- you are hired!)

It is an exciting time around here as we finish renovations and prepare to show off all of our beautiful spaces! The construction gentlemen were correct; we are looking to complete renovations by November. We'd love for you to plan a return trip and see the finished product.

To address the issues that you wrote of- The hotel has dishes and utensils for each suite, upon check in, the guest should be asked if they need them. I apologize that this did not happen for you and I assure you that I have addressed it with our Guest Service Agents. I have also communicated with out Engineering Department about the ceiling above the whirlpool. This issue will also be corrected.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel, praise our successes and bring to attention the issues that we need to address. The entire staff knows how important it is to hear it all in order to give every guest the best possible experience.

With gratitude,
Michelle and the Kalamazoo Radisson
Arlington, VA
Reviewed August 19, 2012

A very clean, comfortable hotel. The bed was very comfortable, the staff was very friendly, and the restaurants within and around the hotel were delicious. My only complaint is that sometimes the front desk and housekeeping took longer than usual to deliver requested items. Other than that, this is the place you want to stay while in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sarah L, Manager at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I am delighted to hear that you found our staff and hotel to be welcoming and comfortable I am also pleased to hear that your dining experiences were equally gratifying.

I can assure you that our Front Office and Housekeeping Managers are working diligently with their staff to remedy your timeliness issue with the delivery of your requested items.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Corona del Mar, California
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Only full service option in Kalamazoo. Just wrapping up a badly needed renovation which is really great. All the staff are extremely friendly. A "real" gym downstairs, as in locals pay membership dues, it is top caliber for a hotel gym. 3 dinner restaurant options (Steakhouse, Swanky Grill, and Pub grub). And you can walk too numerous "downtown" restaurant options. I had a health issue (back went out) at this property 2 years ago and had to spend an unplanned weekend. This staff rolled out the red carpet to insure I was cared for.

Room Tip: The "lounge" floor is over-rated. Lounge is very, very small with limited offerings. Not...