“WOW, great renovation!”

Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

About 6 months ago we stayed at this hotel and it was undergoing major renovations. We stayed again yesterday and wow what a difference... We were able to get an early check in and stay in one of the whirlpool suites. Overall the hotel has a beautiful lobby and nice new room furnishings, very nice spacious and clean sleeping room, great downtown location... Overall, a very nice hotel. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Hello,

We are happy that you came back to enjoy all the beautiful updates. The renovation process has not always been fun for guests, but we agree with you that it is all worth it!

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your marriage at our hotel. We are grateful that you gave us the chance to take care of you and your wife the right way.

Hoping to see you for many anniversaries to come!
All the best,
Michelle and the Kalamazoo Radisson team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed September 15, 2012

From airport pick-up that runs like clockwork to shopping mall with elegant clothes shop, beauty spa (try the Martini pedicure) and coffee shop where you can buy magazines, wine and candles, to Old Burdick sports bar and Webster gourmet restaurant, and a well-appointed gym popular with both locals and hotel guests and its usually deserted swimming-pool with waterfall and jacuzzi, this hotel offers a full range of excellent services.
It has been undergoing ongoing refurbishment for the last couple of years, but with minimal disruption to customers and the staff are generally friendly and eager to help.
It's located centrally with banks and shops nearby as well as my favourite traditional dirt-cheap diner and a great used-book dealer. If you want to go to a giant shopping mall such as The Crossroads, the hotel shuttle will take you if not otherwise engaged. I bought my favourite jeans there!
The not-yet refurbished rooms are comfortable enough but a bit dark and dated, so ask for a room on one of the newly-restored floors if you can.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Hello,

"Home away from home"- what bigger compliment can we ask for?! Thank you for take the time to write about your visit to our hotel. I am happy that you got the time to enjoy a Pedi-tini. We feature themed spa services according to the season so you'll always get to experience new and fresh!

Don't hesitate to share your type of favorite jeans- who can't use a good jean recommendation?

We appreciate your time and look forward to your next visit to Kalamazoo.

All the best,
Michelle and the Radisson Plaza Staff

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed in August 2012. We were able to check-in early. The staff was uniformly helpful and informative. We booked a whirlpool suite. Will post pics. There are at least 2 different sizes of the Studio suite. We were in the larger version. Saw the smaller; it would have been OK. Also, saw the whirlpool full suite. There, the bed and whirlpool are in a separate room from the living room/mini-kitchen area. Thought the whirlpool near the bed in the full suite were a bit crowded.

The king bed was very comfortable. The whirlpool filled quickly. The water jets were fully functioning. There were 2 sinks in the bathroom area; separate from the toilet and walk-in shower area (no tub). There were terry cloth robes. There was a connecting door to the occupied, adjacent room. There was no sound coming thru the door or walls. The fan and thermostat were adjustable. There are restaurants and some shopping within the hotel complex.

The hotel is located in heart of downtown. Many restaurants and bars are within short walking/driving distance.

Some issues/problems: There was a space for a microwave, but it was missing. We did not need it; so did not ask for one. The small freezer in the frig was badly frosted. The door would not fully close. It was functional. As noted by other reviews; there were no utensils in the kitchen. Fore-warned by TripAdvisor, we brought our own. The ceiling above the whirlpool had an area of peeling plaster. This was dry. It did detract from using it. The cable television did not have a music only function.

The parking in the adjoining parking ramp was plentiful. It is $15/day. There was unlimited daily access to and from. Coming into the hotel from the ramp walk-way; there were about 7 – 10 steps down. So, handling luggage items could be a bit awkward. There is a small elevator there. It was labeled for operation by hotel staff only. So, impaired persons could use it. One earlier reviewer complained about the walk from the ramp. It is a very short walk. Only a lazy person could find fault with the modest distance. There is valet parking as well.

The hotel is still being renovated. The lobby area was mostly done. Some public restrooms were not functional. Construction workers said they had been working since early in the year. They estimated they would be done in another 60 days or so.

Hotel pics did not show the sink and shower area. I am including some with this review.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel. We are grateful that you shared your experiences with others. (I am definitely impressed with your knowledge of the rooms- you are hired!)

It is an exciting time around here as we finish renovations and prepare to show off all of our beautiful spaces! The construction gentlemen were correct; we are looking to complete renovations by November. We'd love for you to plan a return trip and see the finished product.

To address the issues that you wrote of- The hotel has dishes and utensils for each suite, upon check in, the guest should be asked if they need them. I apologize that this did not happen for you and I assure you that I have addressed it with our Guest Service Agents. I have also communicated with out Engineering Department about the ceiling above the whirlpool. This issue will also be corrected.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel, praise our successes and bring to attention the issues that we need to address. The entire staff knows how important it is to hear it all in order to give every guest the best possible experience.

With gratitude,
Michelle and the Kalamazoo Radisson

Reviewed August 19, 2012

A very clean, comfortable hotel. The bed was very comfortable, the staff was very friendly, and the restaurants within and around the hotel were delicious. My only complaint is that sometimes the front desk and housekeeping took longer than usual to deliver requested items. Other than that, this is the place you want to stay while in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Sarah L, Manager at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I am delighted to hear that you found our staff and hotel to be welcoming and comfortable I am also pleased to hear that your dining experiences were equally gratifying.

I can assure you that our Front Office and Housekeeping Managers are working diligently with their staff to remedy your timeliness issue with the delivery of your requested items.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Only full service option in Kalamazoo. Just wrapping up a badly needed renovation which is really great. All the staff are extremely friendly. A "real" gym downstairs, as in locals pay membership dues, it is top caliber for a hotel gym. 3 dinner restaurant options (Steakhouse, Swanky Grill, and Pub grub). And you can walk too numerous "downtown" restaurant options. I had a health issue (back went out) at this property 2 years ago and had to spend an unplanned weekend. This staff rolled out the red carpet to insure I was cared for.

Room Tip: The "lounge" floor is over-rated. Lounge is very, very small with limited offerings. Not...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank OlyUSC
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your experience at the Radisson Plaza at Kalamazoo Center. We are also very excited about the changes happening at the hotel and proud of the beautiful new sleeping rooms, lobby and meeting spaces.

Next time you visit, I suggest trying out a TRX class around lunch time- you will be enjoy an amazing workout! Plus, our executive team loves to show off for guests.

Regarding your feelings on the 100 West Lounge, we are always happy to hear suggestions. Have you seen the lounge since the remodel- we doubled the space and it now has the same fresh, urban styling of the sleeping rooms. Do you have any ideas on what you would like to see served in the lounge?

Again, thanks for your visit and your time. We appreciate that you chose to stay with us and are happy that we were able to help you enjoy your Kalamazoo trip.

Michelle and the entire staff of The Radisson Plaza Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2012

A very comfortable hotel. Rooms very clean, staff very friendly, breakfast good. Just a shame they have make an additional charge to a high priced room for internet. There is an excellent bar (Burdicks) adjoining with good selection of beers and meals. WOuld definitely recommend you rent a car to arrive in Kalamazoo...so that you are confident of a means of escape!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a bit more space but all rooms I saw were fine.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Sarah L, Manager at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Regarding your feedback on the WiFi. This is a free service that our hotel offers to our guests. If you have received a charge on your bill, please contact us and we will be happy to look into this issue immediately.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I recently stayed in the hotel (about a week ago) and my stay was so wonderful. I was checked into one of their newly renovated floors and I must say the new improvements were quite exceptional. While checking in the front desk I had forgotten a few toiletries such as a comb and toothpaste and when I had mentioned it to a couple of the front desk girls they were more then happy to contact housekeeping and sent up the amenities to my room immediately. I ate at Zazio's one night and their food was FANTASTIC. I really loved the fact that the staff was so welcoming and friendly. The mood of the restaurant was perfect and I honestly couldn't have asked for a better experience. The only thing I was hesitant about was the construction that was going on during my stay but surprisingly I had no issues with it. The construction that is going on is only in the lobby area which is very far away from any guest rooms so even if there was construction going on you wouldn't be able to hear it plus they stopped by 3 or 4 everyday so by the time I got back from my meetings there was no noise which was a very pleasant surprise. Even when the construction was going on the noise was minimal and shouldn't really have disturbed anyone. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The price is well worth the experience

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Emily J
Sarah L, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience with the hotel. I am thrilled to hear that our service standards were met and made your trip pleasurable. On your next visit- I highly recommend dinner at Webster's- the pretzel bread and steaks are amazing and the servers are some of the best around.

Take care and we look forward to future visits with you!