“Night out in Kalamazoo”

Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I got to stay at this hotel for a night out with friends that I planned a couple weeks ago. Korey at the front desk was very helpful with making our reservations; personable, knowledgable, and really took the time to make sure I was happy with everything. He offered ideas of places for our group to go during our night out, and he reserved us a room that he assured me we would like. My group arrived to a beautiful suite on the 8th floor which had just been renovated. I would definitely ask to speak to Korey again if I was planning another get-together like this. Props to Rob who checked us in too; we were confused about the parking and the renovations going on, he was very helpful. We loved the room, wish we could have stayed after the construction was done in the lobby though, it looks like it's going to be nice!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,962)

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Third visit, for the Medieval Congress, & my stay was as good as ever. Yes, the rooms are getting a *little* tired (the shower is adequate rather than great), but they're clearly undergoing a major refurbishment, so I expect that this will soon no longer be the case. Nonetheless, another great visit. For me, the hotel's strongest quality is the excellent staff - every single person I met was superlatively professional & friendly. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2012

The room is small but it is what it is. The reason it was great was from 2 workers there. Thanks to Ashley Spenr at the front desk, don't know if I spelled it right, she helped us out as much as she could. She was great and so helpful. Thanks to Judy Cooper, bartender on 9th floor. A funny great bartender that was very helpful and fun. Thanks to both of you we liked the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I had the very rare occasion to stay in the Grand Loft at the Radisson Kalamazoo property. Although I had seen it after the remodel, staying there is quite different. I can say that this is elegant, high-end, and met many needs. This gorgeous 2-story venue has sweeping floor to ceiling windows with wonderful sunset views, 2 huge bedrooms and baths, dining room to seat 12, large living room and even and extra powder room. The finishes are modern and sleek (it took me a couple of hours to figure out all the electrical switches) and very comfortable. If you've never seen a TV raise out of a cabinet at the foot of your bed, this is the place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I recently stayed at the Radisson for business. I parked myself in the ramp, and it was Confusing!!
When i checked into the hotel the two girls at the front desk were quick to smile. I have never stayed at a hotel where the front desk girls (college age) were friendly and true about it. I went up to room with two double beds, my where I found the room to be dark and gloomy. I usually never complain but I went back to the front desk to ask for a different room. Ashley( i think from Gobbles) apologized, but again was true about it and not fake. She was eager to help. Instead of just throwing me in the same type a room, she gave me a new room with a king bed! I appreciated this so much. For the rest of the night i made sure to ask for her with my questions (no offense to the others working, you were great to) Girls great job knowing the restaurants inside and outside of the hotel. Even used maps to explain where everything was and types of restaurants. If you have never been to Kalamazoo i suggest you go and visit the new rooms at the Radisson, they are awesome! Except the internet, but that was normal hotel free wireless. Two Thumbs UP!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

April 20-22 I stayed at this property for a wedding. The servers for the reception were wonderful. They were aware of what was needed and performed accordingly. Since I was called out just at the food was served, they saw to keeping the food warm.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My Mother and Aunt and I drove to Kalamazoo from Illinois for a nice girls weekend with other family from Kalamazoo and to see Jersey Boys. Friday night we stayed at the Residence Inn on E Kilgore Rd. This room was a 2 bed/2bath suite with a fully functional kitchen. I got a great deal on this room for all of it's amenities and check in and check out were very easy and the hotel staff were wonderful and personable. So for Saturday night my cousin who lives in Kalamazoo knew that the Radisson has/had sleep number beds, and as a surprise to my Mother & Aunt, she reserved a room with a sleep number bed. I drove up to the turnabout at the front of the Radisson Plaza Hotel to check in and we sat there thinking that a Bellhop would come out to greet us with a big smile and take our luggage or be bringing a luggage cart. NO ONE came to our car, NO ONE smiled or acknowledged that we were there! Finally, my aunt and Mother decided that they would get the luggage out of the trunk and I would wait in the car while they checked in. Ten minutes later my cell phone rang and it was my aunt telling me that they did not get a room with a sleep number bed, that they were renovating and if we wanted a sleep number bed all that they had to offer were doubles. I ended up driving over to the parking garage across the street and meeting them in the 2nd floor makeshift lobby (renovations) We were handed the keycards to our room on the 9th floor with no sleep number beds. We walked in, and the room was small. Honestly after staying at the Residence Inn the night before, this room looked like a CLOSET! We had dinner reservations so we set down our luggage, critiqued and compared the two hotels, and left. When we got back to our room around 10 P.M. I wanted to find out where the pool/hut tub were located. (Not in the black guestbook inside the room, although, information about the sleep number beds are still listed). I called the Front Desk. The lady I spoke with told me that the hot tub is inside the fitness Center and that was closed, it would reopen tomorrow at 7 am. I called back the front desk, I told the lady that there were a few concerns that we have encountered since we pulled up to the hotel and I asked her if there was a Manager that I could speak with. She told me that the Manager would not be in until tomorrow at noon. I ended up talking to the front desk lady about our concerns. She told me that she would have the Manager get back to me. A few minutes later, the front desk lady called back our room (by this time I was taking a hot bath since the hottub was closed), anyway she wanted to know if we would accept three free vouchers for Breakfast the next morning. I did not accept, because we all felt that these are issues that need to be voiced and dealt with. We left the next morning, unhappy, and felt as though we had been had. A lot of the staff that we walked by did not make eye contact, did not say hello, did not ask if we needed help finding anything (which we did get lost once). I gave the Manager five or so days and no return call. I decided to call and I was able to speak to the Manager. She did apologize for not returning my call, and told me that it was the last night there for the lady I had spoken to at the front desk so she had never gotten my message. There were some points put on my cousins account that she is signed up with through the hotel, but honestly, I was really hoping that my cousin would have been credited some of the money back. This hotel is expensive, and seems like they were full of tricks, but no treats.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family