“Just an average place to stay”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Westland, Michigan
“Just an average place to stay”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stopped here on our way to visit Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek. This hotel was OK. We were too tired to wake up in time for breakfast as it ends at 9 AM. We had to switch rooms since our first room smelled of cigarette smoke and someone removed the smoke detector from the wall. Our replacement room was fine. We noticed some areas of the room are not cleaned as needed.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 24, 2011

The staff at this hotel was wonderful! Every single person, from the front desk clerks, to the maintenance staff to the housekeepers were friendly and welcoming! We stayed 3 nights and this was consistent. My room was fine and even had a small refirgerator and microwave (although not all rooms have this). It had a small hairdryer and coffee maker as well. There is a computer for general use in the lobby, but I think they also have free wifi. We had to do some business and were able to borrow two tables. There is free breakfast each day. The pool, sauna and hot tub were are nice and very clean. It is not the Ritz, but next time I am in Kalamazoo, I will stay here again for sure!!! Seriously, the nicest staff ever!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Denvergal1234
Olympia
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel with our extended family. We had a wide range of ages and three family groups. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. The pool, breakfast area, lobby and the spacious rooms accomodated our family group very nicely.
We took a trip to the nearby Air Zoo and just loved it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Olympiagrandma
chicago
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I don't usually take the time to write a review, but this hotel warrants a review and I caution all to steer clear. For the $120 price tag, you can hopefully do much and I mean MUCH better. Our room came complete with someone else's food in the refrigerator, a dirty tub and someone else's hair in the sink upon arrival. Not a great first impression and NOT what you want to deal with after a long travel day and a 9 pm check in. My son said he was afraid to sleep in this room for fear of bed bugs. We requested a different room and were told that they were sold out. When I pressed, they gave us a different room.The carpets throughout the facility were filthy. The elevator had no documentation of safety records displayed and sounded like someone was cranking it by hand. The walls in the hallways and in the rooms have paint chipping off and could use some serious washing and upkeep. Beyond that, I was awoken at 2 a.m. and at 2:30 a.m. by the front desk staff ringing my telephone for no apparent reason. I would very emphatically stress that this was a HORRIBLE experience. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tripchicle
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We went to Kalamazoo to have a quick weekend trip to the Air Zoo. We arrived at the Best Western when about 20 road crew workers and a volleyball team arrived. It was busy, but ok. We were put in a first floor room. Despite the hotel being non-smoking, our room smelled iike an ashtray. It was really bad. The air conditioner helped a bit, but not by much. The air conditioner was also either too cold, where we would need to turn it down, or too hot. We were with two other families. One family reported that their room smelled like mold. The other said that their room was fine. We left for dinner and came back around 9:30 PM. There were two of the work crew sitting right in front of the doors drinking a 6 pack. The desk clerk who checked us in, was standing on the other side of the doors talking to some guy and smoking. When we walked through the doors, the phone was ringing off the hook. People were arguing about pizza in the hallway. The kids used the pool and it was ok. When we woke up in the morning, the breakfast was paltry. The eggs were powdered and runny. The sausage was not brown, but wet and soggy. The desk clerk, from the night before, was at the desk in her pajamas. We did sleep ok, but the air conditioner sound kept out any noise. We will not be going back. There were other hotels on Cork Street that appeared much nicer and in better condition. Not a great place for a family.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Indiana
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My parents and I stayed due to its proximity to Borgess Hospital as my father was to have surgery, plus the Holiday Inn next door was full. The manager was having an argument with a group of guests while we were checking in and threatening to call the police over something being stolen. The halls were stale and you could tell there was no air conditioning being used. The room was OK, but small and sparse. We found a mans name and phone number in the dresser and became suspicious of what these rooms are used for. My mother and I went to check out the pool and the water was green. They were not taking care of it properly at all. The hot tub's paint was peeling horribly and looked uninviting. Later on it began to rain heavily and our window leaked so badly that we had to switch rooms. The second room (next door) was furnished better and actually had shampoo. Of course I kicked out an empty pop bottle from under the bed. We decided to cancel our second night. We are not accustomed to such places.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClemsonKristy
Chicago
Reviewed February 14, 2010

This place has achieved The Bad Hotel Trifecta - Dirty, Smelly and Noisy! The lobby and halls reeked of stale cigarette smoke, the halls were unkempt, the amount of chlorine used in the pool is likely hazardous and the pool water is still absolutely filthy! No thanks, I'll pass! Our room was adequately clean but still had that fusty dirty odor of the rest of the lobby, despite it being a non-smoking room. The beds were reasonably comfortable but the cable reception for the TV was simply ludicrous. I've seen a better picture with a set of rabbit ears and tin foil!

I suspect that the demographic of the guests staying at this hotel will contribute a great deal to a person's perception. The absolute worst part of our stay was the noise! Hordes of unsupervised tween girls racing through the halls shrieking while playing some sort of hide and seek game did nothing to help my first impressions . No amount of complaints to the front desk seemed to do any good and I stopped only at the request of my partner that I make the best of it. Thank God we were only there for one night! As nearly I could tell, there is NO sound proofing between room or doors. I could clearly hear conversations and other activities next door as well as the aforementioned rampaging children running through the halls at 1:00 in the morning. I have NEVER been in a hotel with such poor sound proofing. I'm fairly certain it would be possible to get a better night's sleep in the middle seat of a packed flight with a crying baby behind you!

Bottom line - avoid at all costs! There is a lovely looking Holiday Inn Express just down the street or a Candlewood Suites across the freeway. I only stayed here after hearing good things from acquaintances but never, ever again!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple