“nice off highway with plenty of amenities”

TownePlace Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“nice off highway with plenty of amenities”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were visiting family and just needed a place to crash for a few nights - this place was more than adequate. Not fancy, but nice decor and very clean. The pool was spotless and a great size and temperature for the little person in our family group. The room had everything you'd need, and everything worked well. Free parking right outside the hotel door, and a little liquor/ convenience shop next door. Friendly, efficient staff. Lots of restaurants in the area - we enjoyed Zeb's (recommended by the clerk at the hotel) and Old Burdick's Wings West. Adequate fitness center in the hotel. The breakfast was well,...free.

Room Tip: take a swim - very nice!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
michigan
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We chose this hotel for the second time because of our good experience the first time around. The easy on / easy off area to the expressway made traveling around a breeze. The hotel is extremely well maintained. The staff is excellent and very helpful. We forgot our camera and called the hotel and they immediately went to get it and keep it at the front desk. The room is very spacious with a kitchen. It's nice being able to make a full pot of coffee and also drink out of real glasses. Lots of storage in the room and even a closet in the bathroom. If you need an extended stay, this is a great motel to consider. The pool area does not have a hot tub, but is a very nice area. It does have a small exercise area. The breakfast area is pretty cool and extremely modern and well maintained by the staff. The breakfast did not have any hot food, but the bagels were really good and the coffee excellent. Had a wonderful stay at this motel.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the front desk, so we heard some people checking in, but we had a great rest w...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Middleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Rooms are new and clean, but a bit sterile. Prices in the lobby store are quite high, but that's not unexpected. Room price is ok for the market. Breakfast is weak. If you're looking for a decent place to stay for a fair price this hotel is convenient to the highway and to the surrounding areas.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I'm from the area but my boyfriend isn't, so we got a hotel room just for some added privacy. And we loved it!

Location: It's a very convenient location off the freeway, a very short driving distance to plenty of restaurants (though if you want to walk, I would recommend not staying anywhere on 9th street, it's pretty treacherous for pedestrians), and there's a bus stop right in front of the hotel. I prefer to be closer to downtown, but you pay a premium for that. As long as you don't mind driving literally everywhere, you won't mind the location. There is a neighborhood directly behind the hotel, and I saw at least a few children ride their bikes through the parking lot. It's not an unsafe area by any means, but don't leave any valuables in your car because teenagers will be teenagers.

Staff: The people at the front desk were pretty friendly, check-in was fast, we didn't interact with housekeeping since we had the do-not-disturb sign on the door the entire time.

Room: Not super expensive but more than I generally like to pay. However, you get plenty for the money. Our room had 2 beds (queen, I think. It was all they had available and some people get really picky about having more than one but we didn't see it as a problem, we still managed to sleep in the same bed. Having 2 beds doesn't mean you're required to use both). There were 2 uncomfortable looking chairs which didn't face the tv so we never used them, and a 4-person dining table. The room also had a full kitchen with small stove, microwave, dishwasher, and full size fridge - dishes were included but we bought disposable anyway because we're germaphobes. Everything was in working order. Our only complaint? One tiny trash can for the entire room. Seriously, at least put one in the bathroom! Besides that, everything was spotless when we got there.

Bathroom: Sink was in a separate area, which I prefer. Everything was clean, but the shower took forever to drain. Granted, I didn't bother going to the front desk so that's my fault. The shower and bathroom floors are also extremely slippery. Put down a bathmat and don't try any gymnastics in the shower :)

Noise: There was some children's sports team staying there and they were very loud very early in the morning. It's a standard hotel with standard soundproofing (or lack thereof), but when kids are screaming right outside your door, you WILL hear it. You'll also hear people talking in the parking lot if you have your window open.

Amenities: There's a decent pool which was empty when we saw it, but we didn't use it. The workout room is small and smells like a high school weight room, I couldn't even stay in there. There's a laundry room on the first floor, I think you have to provide your own detergent. Not sure of the cost, but there are plenty of washers and dryers so that's a plus. They do sell things like chapstick and tylenol and snacks at the front desk - it's not cheap though. Only use it if you have to, otherwise just drive the 2 minutes down the road to a gas station. There was also a nice looking dining/business area, but we didn't spend any time there. Not sure if they do breakfasts or not, we never asked and we slept late anyway.

Overall, I loved this place. It's like a cute studio apartment, and I'd absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake Orion, Michigan
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

My other two first hotel choices were full due to normal business travel on the Monday night we were in town. We booked directly through the hotel's local phone number (not the 800 number). We lucked out getting a room here. We got an excellent rate from Jacob who was also at the front desk when we arrived. We had a first floor room right near the lobby.

When I opened the door I couldn't believe how awesome the room was. A nice entry closet, galley kitchen with nice counter space, good size fridge, microwave and little stove burner AND a dishwasher. How nice! Couch and tables with a desk and hutch cabinet plus a King size bed. Great layout, beautiful finishings, super clean, very spacious, nice green view. We were really impressed. The bed was so comfy, I love those down comforters.

The laundry room was next door to our room which I took advantage of, so handy! Laundry soap etc for sale in the lobby. (Quarters at the front desk).

The breakfast was super. A lot of variety for all of us.

We used to love Courtyards a while back, but now we're totally in love with TownPlace Suites. Excellent stay, I wish we could have stayed longer!

Stayed October 2013
TPSKZOOGM, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Mark, I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our success is dependent on the feedback we get from loyal customers like you. I’m so sorry to hear that your stay was far below standards and something slipped in our team’s communication. We assure you that this is not the norm and procedures will be implemented so it does not happen again. We hope that you’ll give us the opportunity to make this up to you the next time you’re passing through. I will contact you directly to discuss the issues and do what I can to make things right.
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here for a weekend to attend a wedding. Kzoo is inbetween where live and where the wedding was held. We had 4 adults and 1 toddler in our room, so having the extra space of the kitchen/dining area was really great.
The continental breakfast isn't the best I've had, but there is a full kitchen in the room if you want to make your own food. Cooking utensils and the like are provided, as well as a dishwasher.
My only true complaint was the open cover on the toilet. Closed covers are just a nice place to set all my stuff while getting ready. Other than that, we truly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed September 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 15, 2013

For a one night stay, we chose a king suite. It was huge with a full kitchen including a dishwasher! Easy access to I-94 and US 131; free parking, too! Clean and neat although some of the furniture is starting to show signs of aging.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple