“Home Away From Home”

TownePlace Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I'm never disappointed when I stay here while I'm in Kalamazoo on business. Jenna is so kind & accommodating. She goes out of her way to make me feel welcome & comfortable. She has my bags waiting in the room for me when I arrive and knows my room preferences. I feel that the staff genuinely cares about my comfort. I will miss them when my business is complete in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank preyes1127

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Homer, Michigan
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stay at many extended stays across the country and this one has been by far the best so far. The staff was very friendly and helpful when i forgot my clothing in the room. My clothing was returned to me promptly and free of charge. Highly recommended to all!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank John D
Chicago
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Ended up staying here at the last minute. I called the hotel directly and received the AAA rate of $113.00 per night. I usually stay at the Hampton Inn which is about 0.25 miles away, but the last minute rate there was $149.00 per night. Checked in at 11:30 PM and was greeted by a very nice gentleman who was very helpful and courteous. The room was clean and smelled fresh. A small refrigerator, two burner electric stove, kitchen sink, dishwasher and kitchen utensils are provided. The breakfast is mostly pastries, bagels, yogurt and cereal, but they do put these items out early for business travelers.

The feature I liked the most was the soft water in the shower. A very nice touch.

The feature I liked the least is the noise from the surrounding rooms, especially rooms above. The noise of someone walking on the wood flooring (kitchen and bathroom areas) was so loud it woke me up early in the morning.

A few items that would make this hotel better include:

* Put a mirror in the space above the work desk. The only mirror is in the bathroom. A mirror above the work desk would make that space ideal for women to apply make up, etc. while another family member was in the shower.

* Put a lid on the toilet!. It would be very easy to drop something in the toilet. Also, the towel rack is directly above the toilet that does not have a lid. Gross! I suggest putting the towels inside the closet that is located inside the bathroom.

* The television is located near the foot of the bed on the right hand side. A portion of the wall extends out just before the television stand making it difficult to watch TV from the bed. Please consider relocating the TV the next time the hotel is remodeled.

Overall, a pretty good stay, but I would check pricing at the Hampton Inn and weigh your options to make an informed decision.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor (quieter).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Two4travel
Bandera, Texas
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 5 days during Christmas holiday. First time to stay at a towneplace suites. Staff was awesome and very helpful. Cleaning crew did a great job of making sure our room was spotless each day. Having a full refrigerator, large microwave and stove top was a big plus for our family. Indoor pool was very nice to have especially with two boys who love to swim. The workout room is limited but served its purpose. The only downside was the breakfast, not much in the way of choices and only one hot item (bag of microwave pancakes). I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Troy E
Richland, Michigan
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here for 3 weeks while relocating to the area. The amount of space was good..plenty of room to spread out and not feel too cramped up. Having a kitchenette is key for long term. My biggest complaints: very poor insulation..l. I could hear others talking in room around me and I heard footsteps in unit above mine ALL NIGHT. I thought about moving but had too much stuff to bother. the breakfast options are fair... I would expect more options for a long term stay hotel. The workout room is very small and the pool is too small for laps. These things are important for a long term stay hotel. The location is ok...l near the highway, but also,looks out on a mobile home community...ok,but not great. I don't think there are many options in the area... I think a great extended stay hotel would be a great addition to the area.

Room Tip: Top floor so you don't hear noise above you
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Noel G
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Made reservations at this hotel because of the great reviews, and the apartment-like amenities.
Overall we were satisfied with our stay but here is a list of Pros and Cons, which may be specific to our Room 103, which is a little different layout than most, if not all, the other rooms.

Pros:
Spacious! We had more than enough room for the two of us and our 11 month old, and the Pack-and-Play.
Living area and bedroom area separated by a door (I think this is the exception, not the norm.)
Full kitchen: stove, oven, fridge, cupboards, pots/pans, utensils, dishwasher. (Wife was elated)
Table big enough to seat 4 plus baby at end.
Two washers and two dryers just down the hall.. excellent.
Rooms were quiet.
Wife was very happy with convenience of apartment-like living for 3 day stay.

Cons:
Room was musty, plus had dog odor; more than the Fabreze could handle. (This is my main complaint)
Mildew in cabinet under kitchen sink didn't help.
Had family in another room, and it didn't seem to have the musty smell our room had.
Visibly clean room, but just didn't have a fresh smell or look.
Breakfast was essentially coffee, cereal, yogurt, and bagel.
Better to get your own groceries at the grocery store just 1 mi north, or go out for breakfast.
Funky thermostat: No heat/cool control, just temp, so at times the air was on, then the heat. And if one room is set colder than the other, the two system work against each other.... plus motion detector turns system off when no movement... wasn't horrible, but finally just turned the thing off.
Pet motel (this is either great if you have pets, or not so great if you don't like pet odors)
Though staff was very friendly and helpful, there wasn't much professionalism, either.
(wrinkled shirt, looked bored, maintenance smoking and talking on phone in front of the place, etc.)
No toilet seat cover, so be careful not to drop anything :)

Room Tip: Great place for dogs. Grocery store is 1 mile north on Stadium Ave, and good restaurants there, too...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
michigan
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We chose the TownePlace because of its location. We were going on a driving weekend color tour. The staff is very nice. Zeus was wonderful taking our reservation. James was very nice at check in. He helped provide us with directions to various locations. The room was very nice. Full kitchen was a great option. Love having a big fridge. Lots of storage! Loved the rolling table under the computer desk. Was great to read the Sunday paper on. The bed was really comfy. The breakfast in the morning was ok. Mostly cereal, toast, yogurt and fruit. There are pancakes in the mini fridge that you can mico. No extra hot choices. The breakfast area was very nice and well maintained. We had a wonderful stay. Really liked this hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 125 and really loved it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple