“New Brewpub Addition to Kalamazoo”

Gonzo's Biggdogg Brewing
Ranked #12 of 355 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Lucked into this place on a Saturday around lunch time. Friendly staff, nice beer line up, and pretty good food made this a nice find. I tried their Porter - good drinking beer but nothing special. I didn't try their Vanilla Porter because I like vanilla in ice cream - not so much anything else. I'm a fan of their 5 oz tasters in which I tried their black IPA. It was smooth with a fairly mild hop flavor and a richer mouth feel than I would have guessed for an IPA.

For lunch I had the smoked chicken salad sandwich with fries. The chicken salad was not quite as flavorful as I had hoped (didn't get much of the smoke flavor), but it was a good sandwich all the same. The fries were the star of that plate. Perfectly done - crisp on outside, creamy on the inside, and no hint of oiliness about them.

The building itself is new, clean and nicely laid out. The bar is beautiful - but the stools are not as comfortable as I'd like. Prices are comparable to most restaurants with the beer prices about the same as you would find at other brewpubs. All in all, this is going to be a regular stop for me when I get to Kalamazoo.

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I was super stoked to have yet another brewery joining the kzoo scene. However, the beer is buttery and overly decadent. I am a dark drinker, and a huge porter fan (especially vanilla porters). I could not drink their flagship beer, the vanilla porter. I found it ironic that the words "hint of vanilla" and "prefect balance" were in the description. I did sample a few others and didn't have any that I would return for. I was accompanied by an IPA die-hard, who gave both IPAs on tap a thumbs down. Gonzo's does have a great atmosphere, great location, and good food though. If you're looking for food downtown, this is ok choice. If you're a beer aficionado, I recommend Bell's, Arcadia, Beer Exchange, or the Boatyard - you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank AR4024
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Lots of different kinds of beers cool atmosphere nice food good time outdoor seating really like this place is pretty cool

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Gonzos is new here so we lucked into a table at seven on a Saturday night. The beer is great. Service what's good. Nice big outdoor patio. Many walkers. Lots of parking. Burgers were better than average. Nice high ceilings and an eclectic crowd made for a nice night out.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Nothing to say but go here. The food, the beer, the staff...this place is busy for obvious reasons. I will miss this place when I leave Kzoo