“Not my first choice for future stays...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Warren, Michigan
“Not my first choice for future stays...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

To qualify myself, I travel frequently for business, and stay in hotel rooms about 1/3 of the nights per year. My company booked me into this hotel out of default, because the normal hotel I stay at was booked up. My first impression was that this hotel is in a more run down part of town. There were some little oddities that I encountered here that I have never seen before that put me on edge. The type of things that if you live a large portion of your nights in hotels like I do, raised my eyebrows and made me go, "hmmmmm?". It is apparent that there is enough of an indigent problem in the area that they have to post "No Public Bathroom" signs on the front door (I have NEVER seen this at a nice hotel before), and they lock up the breakfast area to keep people from wandering in, presumably to forage for food, so if you need cutlery for anything, you have to take it out of a "pencil holder" at the front desk.

Another anomaly was the fact I had to put a "parking pass" (like if you were camping) on the dash of my car. I have never seen that before either. Troubles with unauthorized people parking in the lot?

If you are traveling for business and need a reliable internet connection, this is NOT the hotel for you. The wifi is TERRIBLE! It goes up and down every minute or two. Every time you log into the "free" wifi, you are either presented with a 30 second commercial or an online survey. If you do not click the right response, you are not taken to the Internet, but you are made to have to sit through ANOTHER commercial in most cases. With the net going up and down and up and down, you can expect to see a LOT of commercials on their "free" wifi.

When I complained at the desk, the response was "yeah, that's our internet. I can get you a network cable to wire in, though". I told him that did me no good with an iPad. I finally did get a CAT6 patch cable out of my car and hooked my laptop up. Their wired network is just as bad as their wifi, Good luck if you want to watch anything on NetFlix on any of your devices!

On the positive side, the room was sufficiently clean, and in good repair. The hallways and lobby are also in good condition. There is coffee available in the lobby almost all of the time. The staff seems pleasant enough. The breakfast in the morning is OK. The same basic stuff served by all mediocre hotel chains.

One other minor complaint... I have back problems and like to soak it in a hot tub for pain relief. The tubs are TINY...not even wide enough to accommodate the breadth of my shoulders. I am 6'2", 250lbs... not a giant, but a big ol' strapping farm boy. If I cannot fit, someone of considerable size would never make it in and out of the tub.

I guess It is an OK place to stay if you just need a bed for the night, and nothing else is available but I would not use it as a destination getaway. Like I said, the questionable neighborhood was enough to make me pause, since I have had my car broken into at hotels in MUCH nicer areas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
SUDBURY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed two nights while visiting the University. It is in close proximity to the University which is helpful but the area is fairly sketchy and we did not feel safe walking around.
We had no issues with the staff and they were helpful directing us to where we needed to go.
Breakfast is included and we felt we paid a fair rate for the room. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but we went to the bar and grill next door and it was good.
We probably won't stay here again as we like to be able to walk around and just didn't feel comfortable doing that here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Canadian-flyer-21
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

After reading many of the reviews on this board, I had some trepidation about staying at this hotel. I was pleased, therefore, to have a very different experience. If found the hotel staff to be very friendly and accomodating. I was given a whirlpool tub room at the regular room price, as they were sold out of the latter.

The room was spacious with a refrigerator and microwave. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was nice. The WiFi was excellent throughout the hotel (ask for the pass code). As others have mentioned, this hotel has a very nice sports bar (Up and Under) next door and a lovely Italian restaurant across the street. There were other places within easy walking distance to eat and a convenience store a block or so away to buy some things to stock the refrigerator.

The included breakfast was nice each morning with a nice mix of breads, sausage, bacon, scrambled egg patties, yogurt, and the like. It was a nice way to start each morning.

Overall, I had a very nice experience at a very good hotel in a great location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Farmington Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

When my husband booked this hotel for his weekend business trip I was quite hesitant to tag along after reading the prior reviews. We were also bringing our 1 year old son with us.

The young gentleman who checked us in was pleasant. We had no issues with the staff. The elevator was out of service for a few hours that day and the young gentleman actually offered to help my husband and I with our son's stroller up the stairs. Our room was your average Comfort Inn room and true to the pictures on the website. The room was clean. It was spacious and the microwave came in handy for warming bottles. The crib we requested was already set up in the room with a clean crib sheet. I appreciated this since I have had problems at other hotels in the past with having the crib delivered.

When parking in the hotel lot you must put a piece of paper in your car windshield that the hotel staff gives you otherwise you may get towed. The hotel is near train tracks. I only heard one train in the early evening hours. The hotel is quite a few blocks from the Kalamazoo mall area but there are a few restaurants within walking distance.

The only complaint I have is that the toilet doesn't have a toilet seat cover. I had to keep the bathroom door shut the entire time I was in the room with my son so he wouldn't put his hands in the toilet.

I did smell smoke at one point while we were in our room. We are non-smokers. I remembered the prior reviews regarding the smoking charges. We did not encounter a problem with this.

A continental breakfast is served in the morning. Juice, coffee, cereal, eggs, sausage, muffins, yogurt and make your waffles were available. It's nothing special taste wise but it was convenient.

No pool but it does have an exercise room with a few machines.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Baroda, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This hotel is run by the worst customer service that I have ever experienced in my life. I was overcharged for my room, which according to the reviews here is not the first time. My room was $166, I was charged $174 plus another charge of $150. I called and spoke to Whitney, she said it was a mistake and that she would correct it. Instead, she charged me $150 TWO more times. This makes $624 that they have tied up from my account which then caused NSF fees from my bank. When I called to point this out and to get some restitution, Whitney was EXTREMELY rude and said the additional charges were for smoking in the room which I did not do. She insists that I did, I insist I did not, so she told me I had to call the NEXT day to talk to the GM. When I finally got Janice, the GM, on the phone, I can see where Whitney got her deplorable customer service training. The GM Janice was even more rude, completely condescending, called me a "liar" over the smoking accusation, told me to "stop speaking before I hang up" and that if indeed they had made an error "then that's what you get for smoking in my room."

I have never had such poor customer service in my life. I called the Choice Hotels Customer Relations and they were just as much of a joke; they cant do anything but refer the complaint back to the hotel GM - and if that is not good enough for you and you want to go above the GM then you need to contact the city Chamber of Commerce to find out who owns the hotel because Customer Relations doesn't know! And this was a Choice Hotels Customer Relations SUPERVISOR telling me this! Are your serious!?

As of right now, two of the $150 charges have been returned but GM Janice refuses to drop the third $150 charge, refuses to pay me the $62 dollars in NSF fees that I incurred from THEIR mistake, and refuses to comp my room cost for all of the trouble that this has been for me. I had better customer services at the Burger King across the street. I gave it a 1 out of 5 only because I cant score this place any lower.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, book somewhere else. The Customer Service here is beyond deplorable and th...