“Fun menu, delicious appetizer pizzas! Great Cosmo's!”
Review of Zazios

Zazios
Reserve with OpenTable
Zazios is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 342 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Rose Street
Description: Inspired by the richness and diversity of flavors from around the world, we infuse our love for our little corner of the globe with rich, worldly flavors to create tempting local interpretations of global fare. A beautiful redesigned dining room rich in vibrant hues and interesting textures accentuates our fresh approach to food and creates an energetic and entertaining setting.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Fun menu, delicious appetizer pizzas! Great Cosmo's!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Chef's table rocks!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 20, 2007

I have eaten at Zazio's twice. Both times the food, wait staff and drinks were FABULOUS ! It is my favorite place for special occasions. The first time we went for dinner I was a little nervous because we are by no means wealthy and this is, in my book, a fancy restaurant. We were treated with respect and the hostess even took us for a tour of the kitchen where we were greated by the chefs. Because we were celebrating a birthday they gave us both free desert. The pana cotta is my absolute fav ! Delicious ! I would definately go again and again.

2  Thank m0nica
Reviewed January 15, 2007

When Kalamazoo, Michigan showed up on my travel schedule several weeks ago, I first had to confirm that this was in fact a real place. Kind of like when you thought Walla Walla, Washington was a joke until you finally saw it on a map. In considering what this town would have to offer in the way of food, the last thing I thought of was new-age Italian. When I think of Michigan cuisine, I think of lake fish, dried berries, and any creature that can be shot in the woods. Needless to say I was surprised to find an Italian restaurant that would fit in well in Manhattan or Boston's North End. After walking through a small wine and micro-brew shop that leads into the main dining room, I thought I had died and gone to Soho. The restaurant is decked out in modern lines combined with 60's chic, and more orange than a University of Florida tailgate. Off to one side of the entranceway, the executive chef was working at a small stage where he was preparing a five course, reservation only feast, in full view of a group of delighted diners ($50 per person, $75 with a wine flight). It looked slightly more elegant than your average hibachi restaurant. After looking over "Michigan’s Largest Martini List" (which consisted of mostly frou-frou chocolate and berry concoctions) as the hostess told me, I landed on a classic Sapphire dirty martini, which I give 7/10. The wine list had a fabulous bottle selection as far as high end Italians, and mid priced Californians go, but there were no real bargains. The by-the-glass selection left something to be desired. The appetizer selection consisted of fairly standard Italian fare, carpaccios and the like, but it was buoyed by the level of quality and freshness. I had a roasted chic pea and pancetta soup, which after adding a bit of salt to taste, was quite good on a snowy Michigan night, having hints of butternut squash and the consistency of split pea soup. The entrees leaned heavily towards seafood even in the pastas, and the beef and pork seemed to be lacking in creativity, so I chose my favorite Italian pasta, pappardelle, which was tossed in a wonderfully rich duck ragu, and covered in grana panado (similar to parmigiano reggiano). After such a meal, I couldn't go on to dessert, and settled for a cappuccino. The Bottom Line: A pleasant surprise in Southwestern Michigan, Zazio's is an uncommon find in an area not normally known for outstanding European cuisine. The relaxed yet chic atmosphere is beyond comparison in the region, likening itself to something to be found in not-so-far-off Chicago. The menu lacks creativity, but the shear quality of the ingredients used easily compensates for the absence of ingenuity. From home made pastas, to artisanal breads, to quality local meats and produce, Zazio's is a must if you happen to find yourself in "The Mall City."

3  Thank Resident-Eater
Reviewed October 13, 2006

We have dined here twice. The food is ok. The service is not. On our first outing we brought a guest from France on a business outing and the waitress was just rude. She did not know anything about the wine. She was completely self absorbed. We thought we would give it a go for second event for our daughters 21st birthday. They messed up our reservation. We ended up sitting on a fold out table. They messed up our orders and did not add up the bill correctly. The manager did give my daughter some flowers, but all in all a not a good experiance. To bad as it could be a really great spot if it got it's management act together.

1  Thank happy_diner