“This place is a must for lunch! Yummm”
Review of Food Dance

Food Dance
Reserve with OpenTable
Food Dance is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 345 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pitcher St.
Description: Food Dance is committed to building a thriving and sustainable local food system. We support artisans who practice craft food processes that have been around for generations-growing, raising, preserving, curing, aging, pickling, butchering and more. For Food Dance, it's about the connection with the people and places their food comes from-authentic people and authentic food that's true to its source. Serving breakfast, lunch or dinner-guests are served the freshest menu items in a casual and welcoming atmosphere. We offer private dining space for celebrations or larger groups as well as catering and delivery. We host cooking classes and special dinners throughout the year - aimed to introduce guests to new elements of the culinary and agricultural worlds. Our on-site market offers amazing ingredients sourced from their family of purveyors-from sustainable, humanely raised meats, sausages and artisan cheeses to fresh baked bread, pastries and savory baked goods.
Reviewed April 7, 2011

We visited this restaurant because of its bent towards organic and locally produced products. The artisan cheese plate was awesome. Soup and sandwhich delicious. But one must splurge and go fo desert. ours was the Cat's Meow (literally that was the name) baked chocolate mousse covered in chocolate ganache topped with whipped cream. This may rank among the top deserts of all time. Service was friendly and good. Atmosphere nice, loved the space. We also visited the market to buy some of the artisan cheese to take home as well as ogle the impressive disolay of deserts. Definately worth a visit. I know I will return on any visit to Kalamazoo.

1  Thank Spedwards405

Reviewed March 4, 2011

The pecan chicken salad was fresh and well presented. The Greek omelet was light and tasty. Service pleasant and not rushed. Enjoyed the ambiance.

Reviewed January 9, 2011

We love this restaurant, and it is one of our favorite places for brunch, lunch, or dinner. I was so surprised by the negative reviews here that I felt I needed to add my good experiences. While the prices are a bit high, I've never been disappointed by the food. You pay a bit more for the local, fresh ingredients, and the taste is worth it.

The food is always inventive and always changing. On our visit last week, we enjoyed the curry chicken wings with cucumber sauce and the gorgonzola bruschetta. Any risotto they feature is always a good choice. Vegetarian options are great too -- I loved their BBQ Tempeh Sandwich. The beer and wine list is also carefully selected and offers some nice options.

Overall, yes, the food is pricey, but it's also carefully crafted and different from what you'll get anywhere else in town. I've always gotten what I've paid for.

1  Thank Travelsforchocolate
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Four of us went to Food Dance for dinner on a recent Saturday evening. We had never been before (we were visiting our son in Kalamazoo), Reservation was for 7:00PM, we were a few minutes late, but shown immediately to our table---restaurant has a very attractive, trendy appearance. Tables are well spaced, and while it is a large restaruant, it did not seem very noisy. Food Dance recently started offering a cheese plate as an appetizer--diners can select a variety of very nice cheeses, but the portions provided are very stingy. We also tried the pork belly appetizer--I thought the flavor was ok, but more of the fat should have been rendered off in preparation. For our main courses, we tried the meat loaf, the roasted chicken, a stuffed pobalno pepper, and a steak. Everything was good, but nothing blew us away in terms of flavor, or value. Portion sizes, unlike the cheese course, were very generous. For desert we ordered a small butter-creme iced apple cake. When they say butter creme, the emphasis was really on the "butter"---it tasted like a butter-iced cake. They really need to cut the fat content, and work on a better balance of flavor and richness. The restaruant has a nice wine selection---reasonably priced bottles, and some good (but limitted) selections by the glass. Service was friendly, attentive, casual, prompt. Food was served hot, and pacing between course was well timed. Value wise, Food Dance is reasonably priced for what it is--and I would go back, but given the relatively lasrge nuimber of restaurants in Kalamazoo/Portage, I think I will give some others a try first.

Reviewed October 24, 2010

Went there with a party of 8. 3 of us ordered well-done hamburgers and all 3 of us received raw hamburgers. By the time we sent our food back and received a cooked hamburger everyone else was finished with their meal. The menu selections were extremely over-priced and the service was horrible. The house sauce is watered down ketchup and the french fries are tiny shoestring size. The restaurant was not busy (surprising on a Sat night) so we continued to sit at our table for an add'l 2 hours and was never acknowledged by a member of the staff offering any more drinks, etc. This is to our surprise because we didn't make a huge deal to the waitor about sending our food back. All in all I can't see how they stay in business. Don't waste your hard earned money at this joke of an establishment.