“the best Mexican restaurant in all of Michigan”
Review of El Gallo Blanco

El Gallo Blanco
Ranked #32 of 341 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Cuisines: Mexican
East Lansing, Michigan
“the best Mexican restaurant in all of Michigan”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Okay, I might be exaggerating because I haven't traveled around all of Michigan, but I did move from Los Angeles a few years ago, & El Gallo Blanco's fare was comparable to Mexican food in Southern California. I've been complaining about the Mexican food in mid-Michigan, but I would drive the 1.5 hours to Kalamazoo to revisit El Gallo Blanco.

Clues that this restaurant is the real deal:
1. The menu includes descriptions of the dishes in Spanish
2. The restaurant offers cow tongue & menudo.
3. Spanish-speaking patrons eat there.
4. Very busy but reasonably priced.

The salsa that comes with the chips is spicy, & the guacamole is divine. I ordered the Camarones al Mojo del Ajo, which came with tortillas & was delicious. We also had a chicken torta, very yummy. My spouse ordered a breakfast omelet, which was tasty. We realized that both our dishes had a lot of butter in them (no surprise for me because my dish is shrimp grilled with butter & garlic), so a part of the yummy-ness factor is their liberal use of butter. I like to eat healthy but no complaints here.

We'll be back!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Jeanne L

“authentic”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Best mexican in town. Huge portions and very reasonably priced. Make sure you dine in for the chips and fresh salsa. Only thing that would be better is the ability to have a beer with my burrito!

No liquor license.

• Visited February 2014
“Authentic and perfect”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Excellent food. Reasonably priced. This place is a gem. Be sure to try the horchata. Best Mexican food in Kalamazoo, by far!!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Jeremy Y
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Excellent place place to get an affordable meal; breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The parking can be difficult

• Visited May 2014
“Good Mexican Food!”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We started going to this restaurant regularly when it opened.There have been a number of Mexican restaurants in this area but none compares to El Gallo Blanco in taste. I like that they always have horchata, what's a Mexican restaurant without a good drink? They also always have lingua for their burritos (and as an option for other dishes as well). They aren't afraid to put some jalapenos in either. The burrito is both good and an amazing bargain. The fajitas are a steaming thing of beauty! Yeah - the service is sometimes slow but they are making everything from scratch! The price is reasonable too. We love this place. Our son spent two years in Mexico near Mexico City - this is the only Mexican restaurant in Kalamazoo he wants to go to when he visits.

• Visited June 2014