“Francois in France”

Henderson Castle Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Henderson Castle Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #254 of 341 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Welcome to The Henderson Castle, the most popular inn in Kalamazoo. Whether you're local or coming from Grand Rapids, Detroit, Lansing, South Bend or Chicago, you'll find us to be the best destination for your anniversary, birthday, wedding, graduation or romantic getaway. Situated in the historic West Main Hill neighborhood, you're minutes away from the theatres, shopping and vibrant night life of downtown Kalamazoo, but secluded enough to enjoy a quiet night free from the noise of the city. When you're with us, you'll have a royal experience. Wake up to an incredible breakfast prepared by our French chef François Moyet. Get a massage, facial or manicure in our day spa. Soak in our rooftop hot tub while taking in the best view of downtown Kalamazoo that's available. Stay for dinner at our restaurant and indulge in the finest French food southwest Michigan has to offer. Why settle for a hotel - instead experience luxury fit for a King or Queen. In addition to the inn, restaurant and spa, we offer a banquet hall and ball room that can accomodate ceremonies, corporate meetings, holiday parties, family events, baby showers and more. Our lodging is available per night, for a weekend or could even be arranged for extended stay. Our daily tours, princess tea parties, murder mystery dinner party and high tea are fun things to do in Kalamazoo. If you'd like to book a room, make dinner reservations or just have a question, don't hesitate to contact us. The Henderson Castle Inn is here for every type of guest. Relax in our ADA accessible guest room, the Library Room, featuring an accessible shower with grab bars & handheld shower-head. A ramp wraps around the rear of the Castle and can be accessed by using the Gallery entrance to allow accessibility to the 1st floor. Unfortunately the 2nd and 3rd floors can be accessed by stairs only. While the restaurant is located primarily on the 1st floor, events are sometimes scheduled in the 3rd floor Ballroom.
Kalamazoo, MI
“Francois in France”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Problem number 1: Reserved seats promised given to someone else. 2: No black pepper grinder for the salad. 3: The bathroom was a mess.4: No Trout 5: Had chicken Marcella and it was not edible. First Marcella with a white sauce. 6:Ordered steak Dianne and the meat was probably sirloin but NOT filet mignon. 7: Francois was out of town on vacation in France and did not leave someone who could cook the meals. 8: Francois never answered my emails to him. Obviously does not care.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank atcrich

Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
“Ideal Stay”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

If I had to describe my experience at The Henderson castle using just two words, it would have to be unique and exceptional. I have stayed there on four different occasions, and have enjoyed staying in a different room each time. I loved all of them!
The first unique thing about Henderson Castle is its location. It sits on one of the highest and lovely hills of Kalamazoo, giving it beautiful views all around.
The rooms are simply unique and outstanding. They have character and ambience ideal for a relaxing and enjoyable stay. I always feel refreshed after my stay there.
The hot tubs, fireplaces and general structures of the rooms create a very romantic atmosphere that can be enjoyed at any part of the day.
The views from the rooms and the roof top are simply breath taking. I loved the paintings and illuminations on the ceiling in the Earth and Sky room. They are so beautiful and create such a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.
For all the times I’ve stayed there, I’ve never had an idea of how many people are staying there because it’s always quiet. This is great because it allows me to enjoy my peaceful and private moments.
The most memorable part of my stay is the great service. Francois is very charming and everyone else who works there is so friendly and helpful. The food is also delicious!
Henderson Castle is always my first choice of accommodation in Kalamazoo.

• Visited May 2013
“Unforgettable experiences!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Ever since I was a young boy I was intrigued by the castle on top of the hill. My aunt had been there once and described what she had saw to me. I was hooked ever since I wanted to see it for myself. The years past and I grew up but the chance or occasion never happened. That is until this year. My girlfriend and I were invited to a wedding and the invitation read the Henderson castle, I was needless to say very excited. The wedding was beautiful, from the grounds to the dinning, to the service of the castle staff and dancing the night away in the ballroom. We were only able to see one bedroom that night, but knew we had to see all of what the castle had to offer. The wedding was I'm August. September rolled around and it was our anniversary we booked a night stay we had to see more. At check in we were greeted by the owner he showed us to our romantic amazing room and unexpectedly gave us free rain of the whole castle and any bed room that wasn't closed. We were able to see every one of a kind breath taking rooms except one, due to the fact that it was rented out for a week. After we explored each unique room with the most elaborate bathrooms i have ever laid my eyes on, we enjoyed a few drinks courtesy to the friendly bartender. Later that evening we relaxed and watched a gorgeous sunset from the rooftop hot tub. After such a romantic evening and a peaceful sleep we had a delicious breakfast and checked out knowing we must come back. It is now October and my girlfriends birthday, what would be a better surprise than taking her back to the castle for the spa. She received an hour massage and pedicure. Needless to say she was over joyed to be not only back in the castle but to have the best massage she has ever had. Unlike any day spa or salon I was able to wear a robe and use the hot rock sauna while I waited. When she was finished with her royal treatment we were able to see the only room we didn't get to see on our stay, and just as any other room there the attention to detail was amazing. The Henderson castle is an experience like no other, and I recommend it to any one that is looking for memories that will last a life time!
-Chris Fayling

• Visited October 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
“Disappointment at Henderson Castle”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

“A sophisticated French restaurant, The Henderson Castle Bed & Breakfast is housed in a Queen Anne–style mansion originally built in 1895.” Four of us went to the Henderson Castle last night for their 11- course French dinner. On the plus side, the setting is interesting, the tables are well-spaced, and the noise level was fine. We had a very nice salad, with lots of excellent roquefort cheese and a raspberry vinaigrette. The lobster bisque that came later was outstanding.

However, things went downhill from there. Appetizers: Crayfish etoufee was just boiled crayfish that you had to fight with – no tails already out and no etoufee. My husband’s escargot was tasty, but only two snails!! And no snail tongs to keep the shells in place when extracting the snails.

Main courses: the beef tenderloin that two of us had was tough, and mine, ordered medium rare, was at least well done for about a third of it. It was even hard to cut (unusual for tenderloin) and the floppy 59-cent steak knives didn’t make it any easier. The Cornish hen my niece ordered was tough. The rabbit our fourth dinner had was acceptable.

Dessert was crème caramel, over-cooked and grainy. The other “courses” were tiny; a two-bite amuse bouche (slice of decent bread with some soft cheese and half a cherry tomato on top (OK), a “palate-cleansing (cherry) sorbet” – good but literally no more than one teaspoon (one small bite), a small (two bites) baked brie, a roll, coffee or tea, and a mini red-velvet cupcake.

Three of us ordered a cocktail ($9 each), which finally arrived with the salad and were served in ordinary flimsy plastic cups – not even the clear hard plastic kind!!! Really added to the elegant French feeling…

We had to ask for napkins, two were missing. Had to make multiple requests for flatware.
Kitchen was very slow, although there were only about ten other diners. We had a Groupon for half off, but adding three drinks and tax on the whole amount (without the Groupon amount) and the pre-set tip of 18% (which was calculated on the entire amount, plus the tax), it came out to a little over $60 per person.

Summary: If Francois wants repeat business, he has to do better. Food was spotty, service was spotty, and for that cost, you can do much better at several other restaurants in the Kalamazoo area. The setting is nice, but it won’t carry the bad food and service for long.

As a footnote, it doesn’t appear to be handicap accessible – steps with no railing, uneven stone paths, bathroom in the basement.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank KEW11
London, ON
“Disappointing Dinner”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I ate at the Henderson Castle on July 11. We were vacationing in the area and we had the 11-course dinner and we used a Groupon. The dining room itself is beautiful, and we were excited for dinner. When we were seated in the dining room there were only two other tables and one couple left shortly after we arrived. We sat for for 20 minutes before our drinks arrived and 40 minutes before our first course arrived -- and it was actually the third course (we did not receive the flute of non-alcholic Champagne or the Amuse Bouche). My husband noticed that there was a large group of "Red Hat Ladies" in another dining room, so I don't know if the slow service is attributed to the kitchen or the waitress or the fact that management did not properly staff knowing there was a large group coming in. We were also not given the "cheese course" at the end and when I pointed this out to the waitress she did not have a clue that she didn't bring it AND it took 20 minutes for her to bring it out. Again, not sure if the kitchen is responsible to ensure all 11 courses are served or if it is the responsibilty of the wait staff. All in all, it took a little more than two hours to get through everything. Would also like to suggest to the chef that the appetizer not be all fish-based -- not everyone likes fish, so at least one of the choices could be non-fish based. Unfortunately, we left very disappointed, but grateful we did not pay full price for the dinner.

3 Thank Jennifer147