“All around good experience”

Hampton Inn & Suites Kalamazoo - Oshtemo
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Akron, Ohio
“All around good experience”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions over the past year. It is clean and well kept, in very good condition. The front desk staff is always pleasant and upbeat, particularly Amy, who has a very positive attitude and always greets the guests with a smile. The dining area has recently been remodeled and the staff who attend that area also do a very good job. I tend to judge a hotel on how "tired" it looks, the attention to cleaning detail in the bathrooms, and the general demeanor of the front desk staff, and this hotel gets good marks on all of the above.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NDHBuckeye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We did not expect much based on some reviews we read, but were very pleased with this hotel. It was clean, bright and orderly. The beds had new matresses which were very comfortable and the public areas had just been renovated. All of the systems worked well (plumbing and AC) and the breakfast was OK. Right off the interstae but quiet enough. And there was a Culver's next door for the ice cream fix!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Not that "average" is bad, when it comes to Hampton Inns, mind you. To me, "average" is just what I'd expect: cleanliness, a genuine appreciation for my spending money with them and a convenient location. Frankly, most Hampton Inns are a great value. However, a couple "extras" made this one special. Upon check-in, Matt was friendly, made it a point to use my name and tell me about the hotel and noted that he had placed me in a "high room away from the elevator," as my Hilton profile requests. Later that afternoon, he gave me a call to make sure everything was satisfactory. Returning the next night, he again greeted me. After check out, I received a call letting me know that I had left an article of clothing in my room. Fortunately, I was still in Kalamazoo and was able to stop on my way home to retrieve the article. This is a terrific Hampton Inn and will be the place I stay when travel takes me next to the Kalamazoo area. (And, delivery is available from Erbelli's Pizza, see the separate review for them).

Room Tip: I always ask for a room away from the elevator, to minimize noise and disruptions.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HoosierTravelers08
Andover, Minnesota
Reviewed June 29, 2012

cleaned the rooms was cheerful and greeted you. The maintenance staff gave a sweet smile. The front desk crew was very helpful with finding things around the city.

However, I forgot my business calendar in a drawer. The hotel called as we were heading home and had said she would fed ex the calendar (at my expense, of course which is fine) and I should have it in a couple days.

I waited until Wednesday and still hadn’t seen the calendar. So I called the hotel and explained the situation. She said she would call the manager I spoke to and get right back to me. I never heard from her and no Fed Ex truck came on Wednesday.

So I called on Thursday and spoke to a male front desk attendant. I explained the situation from the beginning and he said. “I don’t have the calendar so there isn’t anything I can do, please call back tomorrow”. This is where I lose my cool. I asked if he could get me a manger and surprise surprise….no manger will be there until tomorrow. After several suggestions on how to solve the situation, I asked if he could actually call his manager. He said he could. So I asked if he could find out if it shipped and what was the fed ex tracking number. So I said “Seriously, as a customer service rep don’t you think you should be coming up with these solutions?”

Anyway…long story to end, he called me back after “supposedly” check with his manager and said it was today and I should have it tomorrow. Guess what it is 1030p and no fed ex delivery!!
Now that I have lost my appointments, my information and so much more in that calendar – I have given up. Obviously their clerks lie. They aren’t sending it. And I am without it. Yes, my mistake for forgetting it, but so frustrating that they lied and won’t help me get it back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Kalamazoo - Oshtemo, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very appreciative of your comments regarding our facilities. We pride ourselves not only we being friendly and courteous while you stay with us but surely after. We did find your missing item and did attempt to return to you. Several days after this review was posted your item was successfully returned to you. I personally went down to the package depot and waited until they recovered the lost package. I’m hoping you can forgive us, we know the great value of planner and I did all that I could giving the circumstances to return your forgotten item in a timely manner.

Gary Sabbagh
Belleair, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Stayed two nights recently at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Kalamazoo/Oshtemo. I had my hands full upon arrival, and the one individual at the check in desk was preoccupied with a lengthy call from someone making reservations. The lobby/breakfast area is newly remodeled and makes for a relaxing place to sit and chat and/or have breakfast. It seemed to be the standard Hampton Inn breakfast, but included sometype of bagel with eggs and stuff on it...and it was good. We had a king suite on the top floor and it was quiet. This location has easy access to I-94 and is nearby a Speedway gas station, McDonalds, Arbys, Culvers, and Cracker Barrel.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor (top) for a quiet rest.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Not fancy, but clean, convienient, and a good value. They're renovating the lobby, but there's no construction during sleeping or breakfast hours. This is a 2nd generation (my estimate) Hampton and while the rooms aren't luxurious, they're clean, big enough, and fairly comfortable. Easy access from I-94.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ft Wayne
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have stayed at Hampton's all over the country and have never come across the must rude and unfriendly front desk staff ever. I wrote to the General Manager of my concerns, and of course no response from them either. I can see where the staff gets their customer service training from. You lost a loyal Hilton customer at your location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MassTravelor09
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Kalamazoo - Oshtemo, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear valued guest,

I am very sorry for not responding to your email in a timelier fashion. I am displeased to hear that you were not greeted with the utmost courteousness of a professional front desk staff member. Unfortunately the renovation has a taken a toll on some of our staff. We always strive for our staff to be welcoming to all and after receiving your email this concern has been discussed. Our guests’ satisfaction and loyalty is very important and I am very disappointed to hear that we cannot restore your business at this time. We will continue to strive for improvement in all aspects of our industry and I hope that we can make amends in the future and show you the hospitality we are capable of offering.

Bert Hagen