“Impressive, but not exactly magical” 3 of 5 bubbles

Henderson Castle Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Impressive, but not exactly magical”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

I chose this B&B because of the wonderful pictures of the building and grounds online. We reserved one of the coach rooms, because it offered a separate bedroom with a sleep sofa, our own hot tub outside the door, and seemed to be a little more spacious than the typical rooms in the castle itself.

We were taken on a tour of the castle by a knowledgeable and friendly young woman, which was fascinating. however, when we went to bed that night, we had a difficult time getting comfortable. the sleep sofa was threadbare and the springs were almost visible - no cushioning at all. the queen size bed in the bedroom was a platform bed, with one thin mattress. there were also no bedside tables on which to place anything and no clock anywhere. in addition, the occupants in the room adjacent to ours left the tv on all night and it was clearly audible thru the walls.

breakfast the next day was wonderful and attractively presented in the gorgeous dining room by the large windows. there was a lot of construction going on, some of which we discovered was because of the creation of a wine cave and tasting room. i am sure this will add nicely to the attractiveness of the castle, but wondered why more effort and $$ wasn't being put into making the rooms more comfortable.

it was a memorable experience at a truly unique b&b, but not all the memories were good.

Room Tip: upon check in inspect your room in person to be sure it fills your needs. some rooms are definitely...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2014
Hello,

Thank you very much for your review it is greatly appreciated.I hope to see you soon again.

Best regards,

Francois Moyet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Vicenza, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed here a couple of years ago while visiting for my daughters graduation in May '12. I'm in the military and have lived overseas since 2001 and I love the decor and the ambience that Francois is trying to set here. I stayed three nights and was pleased when I asked for, and was given, a typical european-style breakfast each morning. Given time, I'm sure that Henderson Castle can recapture some of it's former glory and that Francois will give it the Old World spin he's looking for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. . I perfectly remember you and your daughter you did stay in the Tibetan room. please give your daughter my best regards and hope to see both of you soon and well.

elyr
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

My room had repair work in progress on walls and ceiling ( patch ) . Small tv up high on wall above a armoire . You enter the room into bathroom with your first view being the toilet ! Condom wrapper under edge of bed I left skirt of bed tucked up so when housekeeping came in to make up room they would pick it up along with bottle cap and lots of crumbs ... I guess that's why there is a mouse trap under there too , and soap dispenser was empty on sink too . Next morning soap filled bed made but condom wrapper and stuff still under bed .... Reported to front desk they then went to room and removed it ! Tile around rooftop hot tub broken up . Had gotten a gift certificate for here called for reservation had to give my credit card which was charged to my card till I mailed them back my gift card ( piece of paper ) they said do to people making duplicate copies of paper and using . Need to find a better way to gift card .

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank ElyrSolotraveler
Hello Mademoiselle,

Yes indeed the castle need a lot of work and always will need .This part of the game, how ever what you describe is very unusual and I apologize for the inconvenience.Last winter we suffer several damage due to ice and frozen pipe witch result into a huge remodeling project all spring and summer long. Thank you again for your comment I appreciate it.

Francois
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

On Jun 10, 2014 used our gift from our daughter and son-in-law for dinner at the Castle. Don't quite get the negative reviews. Our meal was great and so was the service. We left full and satisfied. Thanks to the Chef and Breena for her service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Happy customer,

I absolutely agree with you , I don't get some of these negative review as well. Thank you for your support.

Love,

Troy, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Our son and his fiancé were married this past weekend at the Henderson Castle. As part of the "wedding" package, we (as well as all the wedding party) were given rooms in the castle for the night of the wedding. Our room, the only one on the first floor, was right off the lobby so we did not have to climb stairs. There are no elevators but I believe that a wheelchair could be pushed around the back, into the lobby and into this room. The shower in this room, the "Earth & Sky" room is a roll-in type. The floors are all ceramic tile in the bath and marble in the rest of the room. The doors are certainly wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair.

The first thing to remember is that the Henderson Castle is 119 years old, having been built in 1895, so things are not up to modern standards. When the castle opened there was no electricity or plumbing. All updates must be added and then maintained. I don't mean to offer this as an excuse but a building this old takes a lot of maintenance and that takes money. The current owner has been there since 2011 and is working very hard to run a successful B & B. There are items that need repair and the overall impression is that quite a bit of repair is required. Only time will tell if things continue to improve. As for the wedding, our son and his new bride were very happy and that's all the really matters.

Room Tip: The AC for the castle is marginal. Some of the rooms have individual window units. The Earth & S...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate your support and your comments. Thank you !

Love,

Sparta, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

I purchased a voucher at auction for dinner, overnight stay, and spa package. I called to book a stay for my wife’s birthday. It took several phone calls even after sending them a copy of the voucher for them to figure out how to honor the voucher. I finally received a confirmation from them for an overnight with dinner and an appointment for the spa. The voucher did not include tax and gratuity for the dinner service and I understood this when I bought the voucher. They billed me for the tax and gratuity prior to my stay. The voucher did not say that the gratuity would be dictated by them. I’m a pretty good tipper, but I’d have never tipped 60%. Yes, that is what they self tipped, 60%. Mind you, I have wanted to stay here for years so I was very excited to see this place. The architecture was awesome and the grounds were nice; however, our room (Italian Room) and much of the structure was in disrepair. I selected the Italian Room because of the cool shower they boasted about on their website. They informed us upon arrival that it was non-functional and had been for years with no plans to have it repaired. To top it off, we waited over an hour for our scheduled spa appointment. Finally they came over and told us that they had given our time to another couple. I asked to be compensated for what was clearly their error and they refused saying the spa was optional. It was not. The voucher said “if available” and the spa was available when I booked my reservation. The voucher was $85 for a $275 package. Overall, I spent nearly $400 for an additional dinner (the voucher was for one dinner which was unclear and odd since it was supposed to be a couple’s package), three bottles of their signature wine, tax and gratuity. The dinner was the high point. It was unique and well prepared. Portions were predictably small, but after 11 courses, I was still hungry. Just doing dinner there typically runs about $70 per person for the 11 course dinner, not including the 60% gratuity. BTW, the wine was not very good, but I bought it for the novelty of having Castle wine and realizing it would likely not be of the highest quality. I’ve spent significantly less for 4 and 5 star hotels in Chicago, Denver, and San Francisco. Save your money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
9 Thank Steve M
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear guest,

I 'm truly sorry to read about your experience . Obviously you purchase the " Groupon Voucher".
This coupon offer a 50 % discount and was designed to give a chance to every one to experience the Castle... It does clearly show on the voucher than Taxes and Gratuity will be automatically added before discount on the full value of the Voucher. After all the wait staff who deliver the full value of the service deserve to be paid full price isn't ? We can't really ask an employee to work at discounted rate or for a customer to just pay taxes on the discounted value. Obviously the last few negatives review seems to have been generated for the same exact reason . So for the record we do not charge 60 % gratuity , only 18 % on any party of 6 or more and every time someone is using a discount of any sort. Taxes on lodging are 11 % and sales taxes are 6 % and are also calculated on full value. So I'm sorry about the desapointment
As far all your other concern I can;t really recall any of that happening in my establishment , but I will conduct my own investigation just to give you the benefice of the doubt. For the record our business experience in the last 3 years a 300 % increase...So we must be doing something right. We are in the process to finish 5 constructions /remodeling project in the Castle as we speak , including a new wine cave winery build underground. A $ 50.000.00 investment self finance by the Castle on the top of a $250.000.00 total reinvestment inn the castle in the last 3 years. So for the record the castle is not in desaray . It is simply a old 129 years old structure who need a lot of TLC and commitment. So I truly apologize if it does not look like a new motel 6 or red roof in . All I can say is I will be more careful with my marketing campaign so I can attract a social demographic who belong here.

Travelers are raving about these Kalamazoo hotels

Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

The soup was good but that where it ended. We invited another couple to join us for lunch and we were the only four people in the restaurant. I had the pork and it was totally dried out, the fresh green beans were cold and the potato was dry. Advised the waitress and she stated she will tell the "chef". We saw the owner/chef many times during our lunch hour and we never spoke. Very very disappointed, because I enjoy good food. Never again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank evaet33
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
I'm truly sorry to hear about your experience . Unfortunately no one told me about it . Would you mind to tell me when was your visit so I can address the issue with my staff immediately. In the mean time feel free to contact me personally at the restaurant to discuss with me an incentive to bring you back and make it right.