Henderson Castle Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$109
Comfort Inn(Kalamazoo)(Great Value!)
$71
$68
Travelocity
All reviewshot tub on the rooffrench cheffrench roomgreat getawaybed breakfastfrancoisfixturesmichigancollege
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 11, 2014

On Jun 10, 2014 used our gift from our daughter and son-in-law for dinner at the Castle. Don't quite get the negative reviews. Our meal was great and so was the service. We left full and satisfied. Thanks to the Chef and Breena for her service.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2014

Dear Happy customer,

I absolutely agree with you , I don't get some of these negative review as well. Thank you for your support.

Love,

Francois Moyet

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Our son and his fiancé were married this past weekend at the Henderson Castle. As part of the "wedding" package, we (as well as all the wedding party) were given rooms in the castle for the night of the wedding. Our room, the only one on the first floor, was right off the lobby so we did not have to climb stairs. There are no elevators but I believe that a wheelchair could be pushed around the back, into the lobby and into this room. The shower in this room, the "Earth & Sky" room is a roll-in type. The floors are all ceramic tile in the bath and marble in the rest of the room. The doors are certainly wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair.

The first thing to remember is that the Henderson Castle is 119 years old, having been built in 1895, so things are not up to modern standards. When the castle opened there was no electricity or plumbing. All updates must be added and then maintained. I don't mean to offer this as an excuse but a building this old takes a lot of maintenance and that takes money. The current owner has been there since 2011 and is working very hard to run a successful B & B. There are items that need repair and the overall impression is that quite a bit of repair is required. Only time will tell if things continue to improve. As for the wedding, our son and his new bride were very happy and that's all the really matters.

Room Tip: The AC for the castle is marginal. Some of the rooms have individual window units. The Earth & Sky room does not. Check on this if planning warm season visit.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate your support and your comments. Thank you !

Love,

Francois Moyet

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I purchased a voucher at auction for dinner, overnight stay, and spa package. I called to book a stay for my wife’s birthday. It took several phone calls even after sending them a copy of the voucher for them to figure out how to honor the voucher. I finally received a confirmation from them for an overnight with dinner and an appointment for the spa. The voucher did not include tax and gratuity for the dinner service and I understood this when I bought the voucher. They billed me for the tax and gratuity prior to my stay. The voucher did not say that the gratuity would be dictated by them. I’m a pretty good tipper, but I’d have never tipped 60%. Yes, that is what they self tipped, 60%. Mind you, I have wanted to stay here for years so I was very excited to see this place. The architecture was awesome and the grounds were nice; however, our room (Italian Room) and much of the structure was in disrepair. I selected the Italian Room because of the cool shower they boasted about on their website. They informed us upon arrival that it was non-functional and had been for years with no plans to have it repaired. To top it off, we waited over an hour for our scheduled spa appointment. Finally they came over and told us that they had given our time to another couple. I asked to be compensated for what was clearly their error and they refused saying the spa was optional. It was not. The voucher said “if available” and the spa was available when I booked my reservation. The voucher was $85 for a $275 package. Overall, I spent nearly $400 for an additional dinner (the voucher was for one dinner which was unclear and odd since it was supposed to be a couple’s package), three bottles of their signature wine, tax and gratuity. The dinner was the high point. It was unique and well prepared. Portions were predictably small, but after 11 courses, I was still hungry. Just doing dinner there typically runs about $70 per person for the 11 course dinner, not including the 60% gratuity. BTW, the wine was not very good, but I bought it for the novelty of having Castle wine and realizing it would likely not be of the highest quality. I’ve spent significantly less for 4 and 5 star hotels in Chicago, Denver, and San Francisco. Save your money.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
9  Thank Steve M
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear guest,

I 'm truly sorry to read about your experience . Obviously you purchase the " Groupon Voucher".
This coupon offer a 50 % discount and was designed to give a chance to every one to experience the Castle... It does clearly show on the voucher than Taxes and Gratuity will be automatically added before discount on the full value of the Voucher. After all the wait staff who deliver the full value of the service deserve to be paid full price isn't ? We can't really ask an employee to work at discounted rate or for a customer to just pay taxes on the discounted value. Obviously the last few negatives review seems to have been generated for the same exact reason . So for the record we do not charge 60 % gratuity , only 18 % on any party of 6 or more and every time someone is using a discount of any sort. Taxes on lodging are 11 % and sales taxes are 6 % and are also calculated on full value. So I'm sorry about the desapointment
As far all your other concern I can;t really recall any of that happening in my establishment , but I will conduct my own investigation just to give you the benefice of the doubt. For the record our business experience in the last 3 years a 300 % increase...So we must be doing something right. We are in the process to finish 5 constructions /remodeling project in the Castle as we speak , including a new wine cave winery build underground. A $ 50.000.00 investment self finance by the Castle on the top of a $250.000.00 total reinvestment inn the castle in the last 3 years. So for the record the castle is not in desaray . It is simply a old 129 years old structure who need a lot of TLC and commitment. So I truly apologize if it does not look like a new motel 6 or red roof in . All I can say is I will be more careful with my marketing campaign so I can attract a social demographic who belong here.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

The soup was good but that where it ended. We invited another couple to join us for lunch and we were the only four people in the restaurant. I had the pork and it was totally dried out, the fresh green beans were cold and the potato was dry. Advised the waitress and she stated she will tell the "chef". We saw the owner/chef many times during our lunch hour and we never spoke. Very very disappointed, because I enjoy good food. Never again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank evaet33

I'm truly sorry to hear about your experience . Unfortunately no one told me about it . Would you mind to tell me when was your visit so I can address the issue with my staff immediately. In the mean time feel free to contact me personally at the restaurant to discuss with me an incentive to bring you back and make it right.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

The staff we encountered was great at each encounter, however the staff we didn't see missed a lot of opportunities for excellence. The room had trash on the floor from previous guest and there was even a used wash cloth hanging on the shower rail. There were also small holes in the bathroom wall that should have been patched. The breakfast room also had some holes in the wall, and there were linens that had fallen behind the buffet that no one had picked up or noticed.

The room was nice and historic, but shoddy workmanship was evident. The windows were caulked shut and looked awful. All of the windows were dirty or had streaks on them. The old fireplace was covered with tile and expanding foam. The TV had issues, picture but no sound although it was turned up all the way. Staff did fix it however. The bed was small, but noisy and leaned/sagged to one side. The sound carries very well, you can hear your neighbors on either side of you. Didn't seem very private to me.

The 11 course meal was very pricey for what you got. The escargot was cold although baked into a pastry puff. I like escargot, but this was the first time I did not enjoy it. The frog legs were also cold or under cooked and everything tasted a little bit bland. There was no salt or seasoning on the table.

If you thought you got a deal because of some auction or special they had, you probably didn't. We assumed that the overnight stay and dinner was for two, but that is where they get you. You just can't have an 11 course dinner for one if you are staying with someone else. We had to pay for an extra dinner which was expensive, and included an 18% gratuity and then they let you tip above that. We also had to pay to have an extra hot breakfast, because again it only included one.

Wish I knew ahead of time not to bring any alcohol, if they catch you with it, they will charge you $500 fine to your credit card. I left it in the car to be safe.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple