First of all, I would like to say that Henderson Castle is absolutely GORGEOUS! We had our wedding there last July, I never thought I would be able to have my wedding someplace so beautiful. Everything is very European and elegant. Our guests loved how unique it was and we got some really awesome wedding pictures. The owner is very nice, I really liked him a lot. And the food is amazing, Both dinner and breakfast were simply wonderful, I LOVED them. There were a few things, however, that were frustrating that occurred. Since it was July, it was VERY hot, even in the castle ( they have air, but they are all window units and we had a lot of people, so it was really hot inside) My husband and I had chose to stay in the Italian room and by the end of the night I was hot and worn out and looking forward to hoping in the Jacuzzi tub and going to bed. So my husband turned the Jacuzzi on, it took forever for the tub to fill... probably at least a half hour. and then I got in, the jets worked for about one minute... then just quite. We couldn't figure out what went wrong, so I just gave up, a little bummed that it didn't work but thought "oh well could be worse". Well it got worse because our air conditioning unit had stopped working as well. By this time it was two in the morning and we couldn't find anyone who worked in the castle around to fix it. So we ended up sleeping in a room that was about 90 degrees on our wedding night... you can imagine that really puts a damper on things. The next morning I told the staff and they said a fuse had blown because we had the jacuzzi and the air running at the same time (we were not warned not to do this) and did not even seemed very concerned or apologize for the rough night. Another thing that was frustrating was there was this little kid running around the castle all day while we were getting ready and taking pictures. I believe he was the child of one of the employees at the castle and, I like kids, so normally it wouldn't have been a big deal, but he was very intrusive, he kept trying to come in the room when we were changing and would not leave us alone while we were taking pictures. He actually ended up in a handful of our posed wedding photos. I did not want to have to worry about controlling someone elses child on my wedding day on top of all the other things I was already worried about. Lastly, there were some times when the castle just did not seem very organized. For example they tried to charge us for chair rental when we rented chairs through another company ourselves, and I asked for my wedding cake to be mint chocolate, was told that it would be, but when I tried it there was not a hint of mint in it, and several other things like that. Despite those frustrations, if someone asked me if they should check out Henderson I would say they should. The rooms and the food are wonderful and staying the weekend there would definitely be an enjoyable treat (also their massages are the best i have ever had) I do wish that I would not have had to deal with those stressful things on my wedding day, and hope things are a little more organized for the next wedding season for the sanity of other brides, but all in all it is a charming place and I think the people who run it are genuinely good people who try to take excellent care of their guests and give them a good experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Henderson Castle, the most popular bed and breakfast in Kalamazoo. Whether you're local or coming from Grand Rapids, Detroit, Lansing, South Bend or Chicago, you'll find us to be the best destination for your anniversary, birthday, wedding, graduation or romantic getaway. Situated in the historic West Main Hill neighborhood, you're minutes away from the theatres, shopping and vibrant night life of downtown Kalamazoo, but secluded enough to enjoy a quiet night free from the noise of the city. When you're with us, you'll have a royal experience. Wake up to an incredible breakfast prepared by our French chef Francois Moyet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Henderson Castle Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Henderson Castle Hotel Kalamazoo
- Henderson Castle Inn Bed And Breakfast