“Mixed Review of Henderson Castle”

Henderson Castle Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 13, 2014

First of all, I would like to say that Henderson Castle is absolutely GORGEOUS! We had our wedding there last July, I never thought I would be able to have my wedding someplace so beautiful. Everything is very European and elegant. Our guests loved how unique it was and we got some really awesome wedding pictures. The owner is very nice, I really liked him a lot. And the food is amazing, Both dinner and breakfast were simply wonderful, I LOVED them. There were a few things, however, that were frustrating that occurred. Since it was July, it was VERY hot, even in the castle ( they have air, but they are all window units and we had a lot of people, so it was really hot inside) My husband and I had chose to stay in the Italian room and by the end of the night I was hot and worn out and looking forward to hoping in the Jacuzzi tub and going to bed. So my husband turned the Jacuzzi on, it took forever for the tub to fill... probably at least a half hour. and then I got in, the jets worked for about one minute... then just quite. We couldn't figure out what went wrong, so I just gave up, a little bummed that it didn't work but thought "oh well could be worse". Well it got worse because our air conditioning unit had stopped working as well. By this time it was two in the morning and we couldn't find anyone who worked in the castle around to fix it. So we ended up sleeping in a room that was about 90 degrees on our wedding night... you can imagine that really puts a damper on things. The next morning I told the staff and they said a fuse had blown because we had the jacuzzi and the air running at the same time (we were not warned not to do this) and did not even seemed very concerned or apologize for the rough night. Another thing that was frustrating was there was this little kid running around the castle all day while we were getting ready and taking pictures. I believe he was the child of one of the employees at the castle and, I like kids, so normally it wouldn't have been a big deal, but he was very intrusive, he kept trying to come in the room when we were changing and would not leave us alone while we were taking pictures. He actually ended up in a handful of our posed wedding photos. I did not want to have to worry about controlling someone elses child on my wedding day on top of all the other things I was already worried about. Lastly, there were some times when the castle just did not seem very organized. For example they tried to charge us for chair rental when we rented chairs through another company ourselves, and I asked for my wedding cake to be mint chocolate, was told that it would be, but when I tried it there was not a hint of mint in it, and several other things like that. Despite those frustrations, if someone asked me if they should check out Henderson I would say they should. The rooms and the food are wonderful and staying the weekend there would definitely be an enjoyable treat (also their massages are the best i have ever had) I do wish that I would not have had to deal with those stressful things on my wedding day, and hope things are a little more organized for the next wedding season for the sanity of other brides, but all in all it is a charming place and I think the people who run it are genuinely good people who try to take excellent care of their guests and give them a good experience.

Room Tip: All of them are lovely, but the french and Italian rooms were my favorite
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kate B
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Thank you so much for your genuine and very valuable constructive review. I will look at all you suggestion and implement them right away.

There are newer reviews for Henderson Castle Inn

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I am a big fan of Francios and still am BUT we had such high hopes for this place. I took my husband here for our 1st Anniversary. First, we are on a middle class budget so I purchased a Groupon for the couples massage and an extra service for $189.00. We tipped $40.00 to the therapist but still had $122.00 charge on our card afterward that I later found out (the next day when it appeared on my card) to be a service fee/tax on the full price of the amenities. I didn't realize there was tax on a service in MI but was quickly schooled in this area. Next, we paid for two services (which I though would each be one hour) and only received a 45 minute massage and a 15 minute sugar scrub. This was to include use of the hot tub and sauna as well although when I checked in I was told not to bring my suitcase with me (it had my swimsuit in it) since there were robes to use... but the hot tub was OUTSIDE on the roof which meant we couldn't use it at the time and who wants to be in the sauna with workers there? I told the therapists that Francios said not to bring it and so they assured me that since we were staying the night at the castle we could use it anytime we'd like that night. Much to our surprise they were having a private party later on that no one told us about! So using anything after 6 (we planned for after dinner) was not going to happen and the party went until around 11 (I could hear them from our room till then). Dinner was another story since we were seated and waited 20 minutes for someone to acknowledge us-not an offering of water or a hello from the server- disappointing since I would have waited if I would have at least had a drink. They did give my husband a free glass of wine (or so they said at the time). When I called to work everything out the manager after a mysterious $122 appeared on my credit card told me she would speak with Francios and get back to me-no call, nothing. She also said didn't you have drinks at dinner? That may be part of the charge. I had bottled water and my husbands wine I guess did show up on the bill! Unfortunately, I am a little more sensitive than the next person since I worked in the hospitality industry for 20 years. I also run a groupon myself so I was shocked that they could add on such a high tip without your consent (It is on the original amount of $388.00 so mind you we paid over $600 for one night at the castle and that was with our dinner coupon (free 4 course) and a free continental breakfast...ummm what would it have cost without? I'm sorry but I could have went to a really nice resort for a weekend in the Caribbean- schooled again. Nothing like a million dollar education I guess. Unfortunately as much as we love the beauty of the castle and our friend Francios we will probably not be back nor share a good experience with anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the French Room bed is really high so if you get up a lot this may not be the room for...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank HolisticNut

Dear Friend,

I 'm truly sorry about your experience but once again as a groupon user you should know since it is clearly stated on their web site and the coupon itself than taxes and gratuity will be added on the full value of the package. For the record all of our massage are 1 hour massage and the sugar rub is actually 20 minutes and follow with a 10 minutes steam shower and then a 30 minutes oil massage. As far your dinner bill is concerned as we discuss it over the phone you was charge correctly. As far the party upstairs ,I apologize for the inconvenience but the roof top is a public area and nowhere it is stated than you may some privacy or intimacy in my hot tub. Again thank you so much for your review and I'm glad than you consider me as a friend as I can't imagine otherwise what kind of review you will have posted...

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay at the Henderson Castle. We booked a room and dinner and both were fabulous. We had an awesome time when we stayed at another B&B in Michigan, but this goes so much farther above and beyond that. The castle was so beautiful and authentic. It was so unique and romantic for us. We enjoyed the delicous meal and the overall service at the Inn was exceptional. We really felt welcomed and special. The staff went above and beyond and we can't wait to go back again in the spring or summer and enjoy the rooftop hot tub!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are quite larger than others. I would suggest calling to make reservation rather...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much we appreciate it very much .

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I took my wife to the castle for an early valentines dinner and couples massage and stayed the night in the castle. Our couples massage was very relaxing and enjoyable(not sure if I like having the camera in the room while we were getting dressed or undressed). We had the 7 course meal amazing taste and very filling. On room looked great at first inspection, however when we bulled the blankets down the under blanket was ripped up very badly in the Dutch room. Badly needs to be replaced. Even with thta, I will definately go back.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are very small, if you have the opportunity to go to the castle in advance to look...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your input. For the record the camera in the nail salon is not activated as you can imagine. We provided the massage temporarily in the nail salon just for the last couples of days as we was remodeling the real massage room where there is no camera what so ever. I apologize for that inconvenience.As far the blanket in the room We already take care of it . I do not know what happen here but thank you for letting us know.

See you soon , It was very nice to meet you and enjoy our conversation the other morningat breakfast.
Truly yours,

Reviewed February 1, 2014

My summary of our stay at Henderson Castle B&B:

The food was very good. We had a 4 course meal of Tomato Bisque soup, bread, Flounder over rice and a Creme-Puff type of dessert. For breakfast we went with the continental breakfast option which included a fruit plate, coffee, orange juice and whole grain oatmeal. It was pretty much what you would expect for a continental breakfast in any other nice hotel.

The mansion is amazing. We were allowed to explore at your leisure as long as nobody was occupying a room, but the entire mansion was book on this night, so we couldn't see what the other rooms were like.

The staff was very friendly and courteous and service was excellent.

We stayed in the "Miracle Room" aka the "Donjon" room that is in the north tower of the mansion. The room is not what they advertise it to be in the photos on their web site. Their web site shows a larger square room with a Queen sized bed and we were in a round room (it was in the tower) with a Double bed. Also the room seemed unfinished, like they had just completed the remodeling and never bothered to finish up with the decor. The walls were bland, and the room only had an electric heater.

All this I could forgive, except that the bed in this room was way too short for me to sleep. I kept either bumping my head on the headboard, or hitting my feet on the foot board. WiFi in this room kept going in and out so I had to use my own mobile connection.

In conclusion, because the pictures on their web site are not necessarily representative of what you will actually get. for a room, I would recommend (if you can) take a tour of this amazing mansion before you book a room. That way you can get a feel for all the different rooms and make an accurate choice. The food was fine and the staff was friendly. It was a bit pricey, but we had a good time there. Too bad I didn't get a lick of sleep though.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joe B

Hello Sir,

Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate your comments. I just realise the mistake on our part as far the wrong room description and picture of the room between the Tower and the miracle room.I will communicate that matter immediately to our web master to remedy the issue right away.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I took my leadership team there for the 4 course lunch. Our waiter, Mike, was attentive and very good. The food was fresh and we immediately said that we would come back in the summer. The dining room was very comfortable and the table was set with crystal and china. The staff was very nice in giving us a tour of the facility. Some have said they will return for a personal outing. Great place for a good meal.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa H

Dear madame,

I want to thank you personally to take the time to wright your review on your experience at the castle.It means the world to me as we use them to improve our self all the time.

Truly yours,

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Can not say enough about the Castle. Every visit is incredible. The food is a reflection of pride by this owner. Every dish is magnificently prepared and beautifully plated. The staff is as warm and inviting as the Castle itself. Put this on a bucket list of places to visit!
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Look on line and select. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ldoorlag

It is always such a pleasure to read such positives comments , thank you so much for taking the time to do so . See you soon ,