“10 th Wedding anniversary”

Henderson Castle Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed the food, room, and staff. We did the package that included dinner, massage and private use of the spa facilities. All was great until a wedding party took over the castle. They hogged the hot tub, breakfast room, and made me and my husband feel like we were imposing. They also told us that they were supposed to have our "maple room" so they were closer together. Next time, i will ask if a bridal party is staying in the castle. If so, I will choose another night. Also, our private paid time in the sauna area was interrupted by the bridal party's mothers. The staff didn't tell them to stay out. Then we went to use the steam room to find it broken. Overall, I would stay again but only do dinner and skip massage and spa time...not worth the extra $300.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christine P
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Good morning,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding but we do not allow " private time" in the commune area . I check the Steam room and it seems to be working just find. I do appreciate your input and will consider your comments.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

This is an absolutly great property, just staying in this restored mansion is well worth a trip to Kalamazoo and a side trip to Bell's is an added bonus. I hate to discourage anyone from staying at Henderson's but the food service was very disappointing. Their website states it is owned by a Chef, I assume he was off the day we stayed there, dinner was poor and breakfast was worse.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BruceDundeeMichigan

Hello dear friend ,

Thank you for your kind words about the castle . I have to be honest I'm little be offended by your comment on my food , how ever it is a far game I will improve my menu and will add the deep fried beer ice cream on my menu as you suggested.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

the Hotel is just great. staff is very friendly and helfpul. rooms are amazing, beautiful, spacious and clean. breakfast (included) was delicious. wifi works well.

the only negative point is that the hotel is close to a busy road. windows are not sound proof and therefore people sensitive to noise might have a hard time to sleep well.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Hello dear friend,

Thank you for your comments . I will address that with the historical society to see if they will allow us to replace or improve the window.

Francois

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Not good when you arrive and the room you booked is not available. Disappointed in the room we were given. We were given the room without a private bathroom. Agreeing with another reviewer that the bathroom with the steam shower is NOT an adequate bathroom for daily use. Everything was soaked! The water did not work in there this a.m. The glass door to the room didn't feel private and the light in the hallway kept me up all night as well as the noisy air conditioning unit or was it the bed that felt like it was from a Motel 6? The B&B itself was beautiful and we did enjoy the rooftop hot tub. We had dinner there which was delicious as was breakfast! We did have to wait some time when we arrived for someone to assist us. My husband had to walk around until he found an employee. The staff was friendly but not super attentive. I don't think we'll visit again...there's another wonderful B&B in the area that we loved, but thought we'd give something new a try.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mycrazylife
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. We was not over book , but when you made reservation with your Groupon , you made it only for the restaurant and forgot to mention than you wanted to spend the night. How ever we take upon our self to fix the issue by giving you at no extra charge the penthouse witch was available fortunately. Your bathroom is actually totally private to your room but is also a steam room as well , you certainly operate the steam function...I'm sorry about the AC window unit being noisy I will try to find one more quiet . As far the bed is concerned it is an antique bed with a Cadillac mattress, I never receive any complain , but I will look in to it.I'm glad than you enjoy the hot tub on the roof and your experience in our dining room . I will definitely use your comments to improve our hospitality . Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Francois Moyet Chef proprietor.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My mother, sister, daughter and I had rented the guest house for a girls night. However, when we arrived we found the guest house to be just painted and my mother cannot breath in a just painted room. The owner let us use the room on the top floor with the jacuzzi. Unfortunately, for the person reviewing below on June 17th, the reason they couldn't use the rooftop jacuzzi is because the castle accommodated my family by letting us use the room with the access. There was no other choice, and, of course, we absolutely loved it! We had a wonderful time on the roof overlooking the city with the use of the jacuzzi. They accommodated us by putting up two more beds on such short notice. I will agree that staff is difficult to find and there was really no "check in/check out" process, however, you were free to roam and we did enjoy that. Breakfast was very good, but I will agree with others that there was no formal room to go to or directions to such. But, once we were seated and served by Josh (who was a cutie), the french toast was out of this world wonderful! Overall, the castle needs a bit updating with the air conditioning as it was toasty in some spots, but that was overlooked as we felt wonderful with the topfloor room and jacuzzi!

Room Tip: The second floor rooms would most likely be cooler. Heat travels up and every step up was a bit war...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dcarniello

Hello mes amis ,

Thank you so much for your kinds words. I'm glad you did enjoy your stay and we was able to help you.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

First, the pros:
It was beautiful--both the building and the room. The ceiling in our room was magnificent. I loved the old-fashioned (and huge) bathroom, and the decor was very nice.

The Cons:
Although the room was beautiful, it lacked comfort--the bed was creaky, the only chairs in the room were hardwood--gorgeous but uncomfortable, and it would be nice if a few comfort touches were added. My main complaint, however, was lack of service. I keep hearing about a beautiful hot-tub on the roof. I assumed that it was no longer there as I saw or heard nothing about it. There was no printed literature in our room, other than a price list for the snacks on the table and a menu for the restaurant. The owner showed us our room, gave us the key, but no further information. The first evening I had to roam around downstairs until I found somebody in the kitchen to give me the WiFi password. I looked all over for any information regarding a hot tub, but could find nothing, so I assumed it was no longer open. If it is indeed still open, then all guests should be given access to it and told about it. We ended up staying our second night someplace else, even though our room was pre- paid. I feel bad being the only person to give this hotel a relatively negative review, and if I had been fortunate enough to use (or even find) the beautiful roof top hot tub, I'm sure my review would have been different. I just didn't feel that it was my job to hunt down somebody to ask them about the amenities of the hotel. Granted, I am not accustomed to the bed-and-breakfast type facility, but I would think that warm, friendly service would be a mainstay of this type of facility. Oh, and the person in the kitchen mentioned that breakfast was serviced between 8 and 10 (the only mention of breakfast that I heard), but when we left a little after 8 that morning, I saw no sign of it. I'm sure it was there someplace, but it would have been nice if I had been directed to it or if it had been more obvious that it was there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lucky777
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I apologize for your feeling about your experience and take the blame if in fact I did not mention the Hot tub on the roof and the breakfast in the morning. How ever there is a map in each room of the entire facility with fire exit ( per fire Marshall requirement )
And since there is only one stair way going up and one roof every one usually is able to figure out than you need to climb the stairs in order to access the roof. How ever I will consider to make some extra signage in the near future to resolve that issue. Yes breakfast is served every morning in the dining room downstairs and there is actually the breakfast menu and your choice request in the back of the dinner menu in your room , you may have missed it. I really do appreciate your comments and take them very seriously and will address them. Also let me know if your wife did receive her sweat shirt than she left behind, We Mail it to her the very next day.

Francois Moyet Chef proprietor

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Henderson Castle is a beautiful magical mystical bed and breakfast!! I have not stopped raving about this place and I have traveled all over the world!! The paintings, the architecture, the beautiful statues. . . and overall feeling as soon as you arrive . . . . the heated marble floors, the upscale sauna and HOT TUB on the roof! oh what a feeling!! The staff was awesome and so helpful. The food was FABULOUS !! I just loved everything about this place and can not wait to go back!

Thank you Francois!! I can't wait to come back !!

Room Tip: I LOVED the Earth Room . . the constellation mural on the ceiling and star like LED lights, heated m...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalamazoo
Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center
#16 of 31 in Kalamazoo
Bay Pointe Inn & Restaurant
Bay Pointe Inn & Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Shelbyville

Been to Henderson Castle Inn? Share your experiences!