“Everything we hoped for and more! My wife felt like a Queen!”

Henderson Castle Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Portage, Michigan, United States
“Everything we hoped for and more! My wife felt like a Queen!”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

First of all, I have never left a review on Trip Advisor at all, but felt compelled to do so now! We stayed at the Henderson Castle on a Sunday night to celebrate a special occasion. We live in the area and had always heard of the Castle but never knew that we could actually stay there! Francois just took it over last August and he is doing his best to bring it back to it's original glory. The interior is gorgeous, but the exterior does need some attention. This building was built in 1895, so obviously it could use some care. The folks at Henderson could not have been any nicer! We stayed in the Italian Suite and true to the description, the sun broke though and created rainbows all over the room. Francois is a fine chef! Our last experience with French cooking (over 30 years ago) was not pleasant, but he changed my mind. He waited on us personally and prepared a fabulous 5 course dinner for us including Steak Diane (flaming!) right at the table. He wants to use all natural and organic ingredients from local farms in his cooking, and WOW, was it ever good! He is in the process of getting a Liquor license, but for the time being, he offered us a local sparkling juice instead. He is absolutely committed to make the Castle a destination point in Kalamazoo. Indeed, workers came early on Monday to do some restoration work on the outside. Give him some time and I believe the outside will be just as nice as the inside! His breakfast was wonderful as well! I have some dietary restrictions and he was able to easily adopt the menu for me along with making me a delicious omelet as well! Now that is service! We con't recommend the Henderson Castle enough and will be proud to recommend it to our family and friends! My wide felt as though she was being treated like a Queen! Need I say more?

Room Tip: For a few $$ more, get the Italian Suite. It comes with an adjoining bedroom if you want to either b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed in the room with twin beds but was surprised to learn when we got there that the private bath for the room was one floor up--this should be mentioned when reserving the room. We had to inquire about breakfast and how to turn on lights (hidden in the panel)--some simple things that should have been mentioned upon arrival. Hot water in vanity sink (in room) did not work. Nighttime caretaker was very helpful and tried to make the best of less than perfect circumstances. Breakfast was delicious. Some "consultants" were there when we left and I am hopeful that Francois can provide this beautiful place the TLC is deserves. I will check back to see if reviews reflect improvements that are needed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rosemary x
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2012

My son recently had his wedding here. Francois and all the staff were wonderful beyond expectations! The rooms were even more beautiful than the pictures. My extended family and I spent a total of 4 nights there. The food was delicious and definitely 5 star rating. The Henderson Castle is a must for anyone passing by Kalamazoo. We will return again and again.The Castle was a beautiful venue for the wedding and reception.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
East Jordan, Michigan
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I spent my childhood driving by The Henderson Castle and was always in awe of the architecture. It wasn't until the Fall of 2011 that I finally set foot inside. I had a difficult time deciding which room we would stay in and spent quite a time on the internet looking for pictures to help me make my decision. The website has since changed, but at the time left something to be desired. I finally decided on The Tibetan Room. When we arrived at The Henderson Castle, it was all lit up so we had no trouble finding our way, but the path was a bit difficult for me considering I have a disabled left leg. When we entered the building we had to wait a moment before we were finally greeted by a staff member...We actually wondered if we went in the right door. When she arrived, she seemed pleasant enough and took us up to our room. The room was quite fun with a unique decor. The ceiling was definitely the highlight of this room. It had LED lights that changed colors and was painted with bright colors. The room was somewhat of an awkward combination of 'Eastern' items and it wasn't necessarily a cohesive design. The bathroom looked as though they had preserved it's original look which we loved, up until part of the knob in the shower broke off in my boyfriends hand. This became somewhat par for the course. The Henderson Castle is a beautiful building, but is sadly in disrepair. We are aware that new ownership has recently taken over and we hope that they will be able to refurbish this historical gem. Unfortunately, these details cheapened our experience and left something to be desired. We also were slightly frustrated after returning from a quick trip to the store around 10-11pm for some necessities that all of the lights had been turned off and the door was locked. We had to be 'let' back into the house and realized that we would not be able to keep our regular hours at this particular B&B. The following morning we went down for breakfast and were surprised to see that we were going to be dining at a community table with another couple. It ended up being a fine experience and the breakfast itself was quite nice, but as vegetarians, we would've preferred some options.

Room Tip: All the rooms are interesting in their own right, but The Tibetan Room and The Earth-Sky Room are ab...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Dear Jessica,

Thank you very much for your review, I appreciate it. It was a pleasure to meet you . I did take note of your suggestion and will implement them. Hope to see you soon again.

SW Mich
Reviewed March 11, 2012

''Francois" clearly has no interest in running a good b&b. We stayed in January, arriving after dark, and had to navigate our way across walkways covered in ice. Website advertises wireless service but there was none. Our bathroom was stocked with a used bar of soap and filthy towels (I have photos). And for all the website's hype about the food/restaurant, our breakfast consisted of coffee and two small pieces of French toast-- no eggs, no meat, not even juice. We calmly registered our complaints to with the staff, but they offered no apologies, seemed entirely uninterested. What a disappointment.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LuxAeterna86
Hello ,

Thank you for your review. I 'm sorry to see your comments who reflect a negative experience. For your information I do have a lot of interest to run a good B & B and take every single comment very seriously. So I do want to sincerely thanks you for taking the time to share your experience, I wish you had called me the next day. I was out of town for a family reunion and unfortunately things doesn't run the same way in my absence and I apologize for that. We had a terrible winter storm on this week end and obviously my snow cleaning service was overwhelm. Please come back at your earlier convenience for a better experience and feel free to call me any time to book your next visit , I will make sure than every thing will be perfect this time personally. 269 344 1827

Truly yours,

Francois

Travelers are raving about these Kalamazoo hotels

Allegan, Michigan
Reviewed February 15, 2012

The normal dinner price is $38. It was never mentioned that because we were there on February 11, 2012, an additional $10 was added to the $38 for "Valentine's
Day" extras. The extras were a half-glass of wine and one chocolate covered strawberry per person. I was there with my sister, mother and best friend. Our service was very poor. We had to ask for beverage. Once we did get that, after 40 minutes, we asked on three different occasions for a refill - never did get that. My friend ordered the flounder and when it was brought to the table, you could just about see the fish above the sauce. The restroom was a "unisex" down two flight of stairs. Not good for my mother. The walk was not cleared and the porch was slippery. Parking is very limited. I had always looked forward to going to the "Castle", what a disappointment - won't be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Diane A
Dear Diane,

Thank you for your email. I do appreciate all your remarks and will address them to improve our performance. Please come back for a new experience at your earlier convenience, call me to make reservation and I will make sure than you have a much better experience this time.

Best regards,

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My son rented this B&B for his wife and four childern when they came to kalamazoo. He invited us (Mom and Dad) to join them for dinner. We had a lovely dinner prepared by French Chef Francious. The food and service were excellent. I would highly recommend this B&B to any descrete traveler who appreciates a quality dinning experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family